lons

UDFA
Reaction score
Link

Looks like we may not have to worry about streaming live games soon. Looks like Google / YouTube are looking into getting the rights to Sunday Ticket and while I imagine there would be a pay per view or some sort of sign up... The possiblility that we won't be stuck to a single TV or even a TV in the near future... Make me excited!!

(Reuters) - Google Inc has opened discussions with the National Football League to buy the rights to the "Sunday Ticket" subscription TV service now owned by DirecTV, tech blog AllThingsDigital reported on Wednesday, citing sources familiar with the matter.

The acquisition, if consummated, would dramatically boost the media efforts of the Internet search company, which is trying to ramp up original programming and earn subscription revenue as opposed to advertising income.

The "Sunday Ticket" service allows NFL fans to watch a wide variety of football games outside of their local markets.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and league officials called on Google, Facebook Inc and several other key Silicon Valley companies in recent days, as part of efforts to improve their content, NFL spokesman Alex Reithmiller confirmed on Wednesday. He did not elaborate.

But the tech blog cited sources saying Google CEO Larry Page and YouTube content chief Robert Kyncl specifically discussed acquiring the rights to the popular Sunday Ticket package with Goodell and his delegation.

Google's YouTube last year expanded its stable of original content by promoting and investing in hundreds of dedicated channels, hoping to shed its image as a repository for grainy home videos and to start putting out quality content to boost advertising sales and earn subscription revenue.

The NFL has proven to be a savvy media-rights negotiator in years past, and now controls one of the most lucrative sports-TV operations in the country. News of Google's interest could pile pressure on DirecTV as its lock on the package expires after the 2014 season.

"I've always been pretty skeptical that rights holders of significant events are going to put those events on digital platforms. The leagues love to float the idea that its a possibility because it creates a sense of more competition and accelerates prices," said John Skipper, president of the Walt Disney Co's ESPN sports network.

YouTube's "sites are not built for appointment viewing. You go there to watch archival content. You go there for information to do some task, to search, to do email."

Still, a content tie-up between the popular NFL and Google could have ripple effects throughout the media industry and transform Google into a major destination for sports online viewing, analysts said. It could bolster demand for services that bypass traditional cable, pressure values for some TV and satellite networks, and encourage users to sign up for broadband, Janney Capital Markets analyst Tony Wible said.

DirecTV has sounded upbeat about its chances of renewing the estimated $1 billion-a-year "Sunday Ticket" contract with the league when it expires.

The exclusive package, which allows fans to watch games outside of their home markets, is considered by analysts an important tool for the satellite TV service in efforts to attract new subscribers.

RIPPLES

AllThingsD called talks between Google and the NFL "informal" for now.

Neither Google nor DirecTV responded to requests for comment.

Google's addition of "Sunday Ticket" would mark its biggest foray so far into the realm of quality programming and subscription-video services. It could also accelerate "cord cutting," or viewers switching to online-viewing sources from traditional cable channels, analysts said.

However, the NFL could come under significant pressure from holders of its other TV licenses, the traditional TV and broadcast networks, who would seek to discourage a tie-up with an Internet powerhouse like Google.

"If Google were to secure the Sunday Ticket rights, we may have a situation where consumers can start to create a more viable alternative" to a traditional cable plan, analyst Wible said.

He speculated that along with Netflix Inc and Hulu services now available over the Internet, consumers could begin to create a true "a la carte" package in which people select the specific TV services they pay for.

"While we don't know the pricing for any Google product, it is safe to assume this bundle would be far cheaper than a traditional TV package," he said. "These dynamics have the potential to exacerbate cord cutting and may create a vicious cycle as the cost of programming on traditional TV would move higher with each loss of a (subscriber) - increasing the odds that another will cut the cord."

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Yikes. DirecTV better get their act together.

DirecTV sucks. Their customer service is horrid. I suspended service over the summer and loathed to turn it back on for Sunday Ticket.

I've got two receivers sitting in my living room that have been there for a couple of months now because DirecTV doesn't know why the hell I got them and can't figure out how to get them back from me.

I'd love to have another option. I'm not sure a full streaming option is the best bet though. I want to flip without buffering every time I change a channel.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
DirecTV Is still eons better than cable or that other worthless satellite provider.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want that buffering bullshit on the internet either. You get what you pay for. I'd rather just stick with DTV.

Plus, they have the money to outbid those guys. It's a tradition to sit on my couch and drink beer at home. I can hear the wife now, "Can't you bring your laptop to the auction?"

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
DTV is shit.

I said it. I just moved a couple months back and will only be in my current location for about a year. They offer the 2 year contract or a 1 year non-contract price that equals the same as the 2 year commitment.

I don't have cable. Don't really care to. I watch everything I want online. If YouTube picked up Sunday Ticket and the price was less than DTV's price, that'd be amazing.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I've got cable. No complaints. It beats losing signal during a storm.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
DTV is amazing. Customer service is stellar. No idea what dude is talkin Bout

Everybody has different experiences I guess.

In my 10+ years, a few samples:

1) After installation, signal strength was terrible. Had to have cable hooked up and actually cancel DirecTV to fix it after months of dealing with it. Threat of cancellation got me nowhere.
2) If I want to remove a premium channel, they won't let me do it via their website. I have to call.....where they proceed to tell me I should use their website. Every time I want to add/remove premium channels, I have to change packages because mine is "outdated". Of course, they incrementally add costs each time this happens.
3) If I want to view my bill online, I have to sign up for paperless billing (this is new)
4) $26 per month fee just to have 2 HD DVR receivers
5) I suspended my account over the summer. They sent me two receivers. I called and asked why. They had no record of it. After numerous calls, I've been told at least 3 times they were sending me a return kit. No return kit. They basically sent me a chore and have no frickin' idea they did it.
6) After having the service for 10+ years, I still pay more than new customers. No cares for existing customers.

I loved going to a streaming only option. Between Redbox, Netflix, Amazon and flat out just buying whatever series I want to watch, I still come out ahead financially. Only reason for DirecTV is Sunday Ticket, otherwise, I'd cut the cord completely.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure I'd want that buffering bullshit on the internet either. You get what you pay for. I'd rather just stick with DTV.

Plus, they have the money to outbid those guys. It's a tradition to sit on my couch and drink beer at home. I can hear the wife now, "Can't you bring your laptop to the auction?"

I'm pretty sure if it comes to a bidding war, Google would fucking bury DirecTV.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Google, DirecTV, and anyone else gets in a huge bidding war, we all lose. They will pass the costs onto us.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
What is this 1997? What buffering? What are you on dial up or some shit? YouTube is in direct competition with Netflix no one loses if there is competition. That's the problem right now. There is no competition and it's shit.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If more than one provider offered it, you are right, there would be competition (pricing and quality of service). If it's exclusive again and someone paid top dollar to get it, we will all suffer for it.

Reaction score
Everybody has different experiences I guess.

In my 10+ years, a few samples:

1) After installation, signal strength was terrible. Had to have cable hooked up and actually cancel DirecTV to fix it after months of dealing with it. Threat of cancellation got me nowhere.
2) If I want to remove a premium channel, they won't let me do it via their website. I have to call.....where they proceed to tell me I should use their website. Every time I want to add/remove premium channels, I have to change packages because mine is "outdated". Of course, they incrementally add costs each time this happens.
3) If I want to view my bill online, I have to sign up for paperless billing (this is new)
4) $26 per month fee just to have 2 HD DVR receivers
5) I suspended my account over the summer. They sent me two receivers. I called and asked why. They had no record of it. After numerous calls, I've been told at least 3 times they were sending me a return kit. No return kit. They basically sent me a chore and have no frickin' idea they did it.
6) After having the service for 10+ years, I still pay more than new customers. No cares for existing customers.

I loved going to a streaming only option. Between Redbox, Netflix, Amazon and flat out just buying whatever series I want to watch, I still come out ahead financially. Only reason for DirecTV is Sunday Ticket, otherwise, I'd cut the cord completely.

# 4 and 6 are what piss me off.
They did work with me and gave me a $30.00/month credit for 6 months cause I bitched about their prices being to high.

I've had DTV since 2002 and it seems every 6 months the premiums go up. I'd go with AT&T u verse but it's not offered where I live.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Between Net Flix and HULU I rarely watch traditional cable. I have ATT U-Verse and love it for the few times a month I do use it. If it were not for the kids and Cowboys games it would be gone.

Top Bottom