Should Goodell stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Go

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I listened to his jig that he performed once the media, (not including Benjy Bronk) was allowed to ask him questions yesterday. I found myself getting more and more frustrated with this jackass talking down to everyone under the guise of "it's my fault", talking in circles, and constantly deflecting very valid points that were brought up.

I found this article on PFT enlightening:

In Rice case, what does “accountable” really mean?
Posted by Mike Florio on September 20, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT

Commissioner Roger Goodell has said on multiple occasions that he’s accountable for the many problems with the Ray Rice investigation and ultimate suspension. But what does it really mean to be accountable?

For players, coaches, team executives, and owners who break the rules, it means fines and suspensions. For teams, it means fines and the potential loss of draft picks or salary cap space.

For folks in the league office, accountability looks to be simply a word.

To confirm that, look no farther that the deposition given by Goodell in the Super Bowl ticket fiasco lawsuit. PFT has obtained a copy of the 317-page document, and an intriguing exchange between Goodell and lawyer Michael Avenatti begins at page 119. It appears below.

Q. Who has been held accountable, if anyone, with the NFL with regard to what happened with the temporary seats?

Attorney Thad Behrens: Objection, vague.

Goodell: What do you mean, accountable?

Q. Have you ever used the word accountable?

Goodell: Yes, sir.

Q. All right. What do you understand the word accountable to mean?

Goodell: You’ve asked me in the beginning that you wanted me to make sure that I understand the question. I’m trying to understand your question.

Q. That’s not my question. My question is what do you generally — what have you generally understood the word accountability to mean when you’ve used it.

Goodell: Is that the first question that you asked or — I’m asking for a clarification on your question.

Q. I’m going to strike the question and I’m going to ask you another question.

Goodell: Okay.

Q. All right. What have you generally understood the word accountable to mean when you’ve used it?

Goodell: That you are responsible, and that you take responsibility.

Q. And that you make good on your failure, right?

Attorney Thad Behrens: Objection. It mischaracterizes his testimony.

Goodell: I think I answered your question.

Q. Have you held anyone with the NFL accountable for the failures relating to the temporary seats at Super Bowl 45?

Attorney Thad Behrens: Objection, vague. You can answer.

Goodell: Again, I’ve been very clear. We’re all accountable for this. Our staff has worked hard to contact those fans to make the offer. We continue to still make good on those offers, and we will do so. So yes, we’re all accountable for that.

Q. Have you caused anyone to be disciplined in connection with their — the failures relating to the temporary seat issues at Super Bowl 45?

Goodell: To be disciplined?

Q. Yeah. You’re familiar — you’re familiar with the word disciplined, right?

Goodell: Yes.

Q. Okay. I mean you hand out discipline on a consistent basis, in connection with being the leader of the NFL, in an effort to protect the shield, right?

Attorney Thad Behrens: Objection. You’re badgering the witness.

Goodell: (Laughing).

Q. No, I’m stating a fact. I mean he — it’s well known that he does that. Right, Mr. Goodell?

Attorney Thad Behrens: Objection. This is outside the scope.

Goodell: I apply discipline –

Q. Okay.

Goodell: — in the context of violation of our policies.

Q. All right.

Goodell: — when a team violates policies, lawyer or other individuals involved with the NFL.

Q. Have you applied any discipline whatsoever in connection with the failures surrounding the temporary seating issues at Super Bowl 45?

Goodell: Discipline wouldn’t be the word I would use. There are people that recognize our responsibility, and there was an impact for that, for all of us.

Q. Have you caused anyone to lose their job over the failures in connection with the Super Bowl 45 temporary seats?

Goodell: No, I have not.

The questioning then focused on whether any employee has suffered a consequence to his or her job because of the Super Bowl ticket fiasco. Goodell explained that, generally, it can affect bonus payments and promotions. Pressed for the name of any person affected by the situation, Goodell did not provide one.

Many have assumed that, in the Rice case, one or more key employees of the league office will be held accountable with the loss of their jobs. Based on the Super Bowl ticket fiasco, however, that assumption could be erroneous.

After all, if anyone in the upper reaches of the NFL loses his job now, it could become very hard to explain why the axe of accountability didn’t fall one level higher.

That said... should he step down? I say it's time for him to go.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Everything he has done has been bad for the game of football. The quality of the product on the field is garbage.

Biggest dicksucker in history of the league.

Reaction score
Wonder how his PC was received by the NFL. Heard some players were criticizing it but haven't seen any quotes or anything.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's come out via investigative reporting by ESPN, that the entire Rice ordeal was a intentional coverup from the Jump, not a "we got it wrong" thing at all. He is and was outright lying, of course he must go.

Bring on Condie.

Reaction score
It's come out via investigative reporting by ESPN, that the entire Rice ordeal was a intentional coverup from the Jump, not a "we got it wrong" thing at all. He is and was outright lying, of course he must go.

Bring on Condie.

Is this true?

Please be.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be choice irony if the Ray Rice controversy leads to a Condie Rice commissioner reign? She's often said the Commish job is a lifelong dream of hers.

Sure would deodorize the whole deal if she was appointed.

Reaction score
Goodell is corrupt. What you do in the dark will come to the light eventually.

Who voted that he should stay?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ari-gold-gtfo-o.gif

Reaction score
I think it is weird that the NFL is now expected to be in the morality business.

IMO, the NFL should police players on those things that potentially impact the integrity of the game (such as performance enhancing drugs and gambling on football), but I'd be fine if the NFL did not suspend or fine players for non-football related transgressions (abuse of recreational drugs, domestic abuse, manslaughter, etc.).

I'd rather see the state and federal legal systems deal with the non-football forms of crime. If a guy is convicted and in jail, he can't play. If a guy is arrested and denied bail, he can't play. If he's on house arrest, he can't play, etc. But if a guy serves a sentence and then is freed, I'm o.k. with letting him play without further penalty.

I don't need to believe that everyone who plays professional football is a good, upstanding young gentleman.

The NFL can't even establish clear pass interference rules or enforce them adequately. Why would anyone expect that the NFL would do an adequate job with criminal justice?

IMO, people who are disturbed about Ray Rice shouldn't blame the NFL for not being "strict" enough. Instead, those people should blame the legal system for not being strict enough. Again, it isn't the NFL's job to be in charge of social justice.

Goodell should be fired for any number of reasons. I'd like to see him go.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think it is weird that the NFL is now expected to be in the morality business.

IMO, the NFL should police players on those things that potentially impact the integrity of the game (such as performance enhancing drugs and gambling on football), but I'd be fine if the NFL did not suspend or fine players for non-football related transgressions (abuse of recreational drugs, domestic abuse, manslaughter, etc.).

I'd rather see the state and federal legal systems deal with the non-football forms of crime. If a guy is convicted and in jail, he can't play. If a guy is arrested and denied bail, he can't play. If he's on house arrest, he can't play, etc. But if a guy serves a sentence and then is freed, I'm o.k. with letting him play without further penalty.

I don't need to believe that everyone who plays professional football is a good, upstanding young gentleman.

The NFL can't even establish clear pass interference rules or enforce them adequately. Why would anyone expect that the NFL would do an adequate job with criminal justice?

IMO, people who are disturbed about Ray Rice shouldn't blame the NFL for not being "strict" enough. Instead, those people should blame the legal system for not being strict enough. Again, it isn't the NFL's job to be in charge of social justice.

The deal is, once you cross that line and start catering and pandering to every little squealing piglet of Political Correctness, you're in a trap. The loud, shrill minority PC piglets wind up running the place - and like all parasites, they devour the host.

Reaction score

2. I think its funny ray rice couldn't play for the team
But could be an ambassador , why is one ok?
1. Why should goodell be fired ?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What Zero and Dooms said. Why should the NFL be America's Moral Police? Going down that road was a mistake to start with. Somehow NBA and MLB players don't have to be punished far more harshly than our judicial system calls for, and they're still okay.

I'm sure some will say that Goodell asked for this, and he did. I guess it's impossible for to back away from that now with sponsors claiming to balk.

But on that note, it's too bad the NFL couldn't or didn't just call Anheiser-Busch's and Nike's bluff. "Oh, you want out of this deal? Go ahead. We'll have Miller and Adidas on the line within 10 minutes."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But on that note, it's too bad the NFL couldn't or didn't just call Anheiser-Busch's and Nike's bluff. "Oh, you want out of this deal? Go ahead. We'll have Miller and Adidas on the line within 10 minutes."
Exactly. It's not like they wouldn't be able to replace recalcitrant sponsors who also fell victim to the minority squealing PC piglets.

Because just think - why were the message planes hired to fly over NFL stadiums? Because the goons who hired them knew there would be big crowds in those stadiums, to see them.

Top Bottom