Reaction score
And why the Garrett effect still hinders the team

Deconstructing Jim Bob Cooter's Offense: Part 2

Scott Linehan, the former offensive coordinator of the Detroit Lions, had predicated his offense to work quickly. Shotgun hand-offs were a regularity under Linehan. Short, quick, underneath routes were common to open up the deep ball. The offensive line had assignments that were in clearly front of them. Jim Bob Cooter emulated many of Linehan’s ideas. In 2013, Linehan’s last year in charge of the offense, Matthew Stafford was leading the league in quickest time to throw.

In 2.24 seconds, Stafford had been identifying the defense, internally mapping his throws, and releasing the ball. In 2014 and half of 2015 under Lombardi, the offense was taking its time setting up plays. Long-developing routes, irredeemably exotic line assignments, and miscommunication became the norm for the offense. Even though the routes were long to develop, they often were not successful at materializing. In the first seven games under Lombardi in 2015, Stafford attempted 39 deep passes (over 15 yards in the air), completing 16.

Still Jason's scheme. The slow developing plays are not allowed to be changed by Linehan. But this shows the difference between the years of the Garrett pass plays and what is generally happening this year with Linehan having more control.

Reaction score
Exactly.

Just watched Dak's post game press conference, he was talking about Linehan calling the plays and expecting to score on every play he calls. Interesting. I imagine that most OCs have that intent, but the Garrett years still had consecutive 3 and outs sometimes 3rd and 10 which showed me that he was lost as a play caller and was forgetting that all of those wasted plays would have an impact in the entirety of the game itself. Linehan is more desperate to score than Jason. Jason just wanted a few yards, good feelings, and the opportunity to say the words "National Football League".

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Exactly.

Just watched Dak's post game press conference, he was talking about Linehan calling the plays and expecting to score on every play he calls. Interesting. I imagine that most OCs have that intent, but the Garrett years still had consecutive 3 and outs sometimes 3rd and 10 which showed me that he was lost as a play caller and was forgetting that all of those wasted plays would have an impact in the entirety of the game itself. Linehan is more desperate to score than Jason. Jason just wanted a few yards, good feelings, and the opportunity to say the words "National Football League".

And the chance to mindlessly idiotically clap as the offense trots off the field after yet another three and out. Clapping even harder if they're trotting off as a result of yet another bonehead turnover.

Praxit

Spectator
Reaction score
..no kidding there. I never thought of it in that scenario. I guess Linehan needed the right guys to run his schemes and ideas.

... Still seems different from 14'. I know we were running more, but we passed alot as well. Dak use small dinks and dunks to move the chains. Then mixes it with a long pass in between. Very cool....:hellyeah

We are seeing it to believe it. ...:)

Praxit

Spectator
Reaction score
...thanks Doomsday..;) I came over from the main cowboy message board . This board looks more interesting in terms of topics and discussion.... .. :B&B: Been a homer since Staubach days..

....now were in the drivers seat again.. Feels awesome, in fact, Unreal.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah we're screwed if Linehan leaves.

He's done a sensational job, but please.

There are other good coordinators in the league and a lot of them would kill to coach this talent. Jones also has a track record for paying extremely well for assistant coaches.

Reaction score
He's done a sensational job, but please.

There are other good coordinators in the league and a lot of them would kill to coach this talent. Jones also has a track record for paying extremely well for assistant coaches.

There are good coordinators in the league, but you'd have to find one who Garrett wouldn't be threatened by like he was with Dan Reeves, for example. And also who run the same timing based Coryell style offense.

I honestly don't think we lose linehan. His son is in high school in the area and re-reading his comments after 2014 he doesn't sound all that interested in taking another HC gig any time soon. Couple that with the talent we have and Jerry keeping his pockets lined, I could see him staying here for quite some time. Kind of like how Dick Labeau stayed DC with the Steelers forever.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
There are good coordinators in the league, but you'd have to find one who Garrett wouldn't be threatened by like he was with Dan Reeves, for example. And also who run the same timing based Coryell style offense.

I honestly don't think we lose linehan. His son is in high school in the area and re-reading his comments after 2014 he doesn't sound all that interested in taking another HC gig any time soon. Couple that with the talent we have and Jerry keeping his pockets lined, I could see him staying here for quite some time. Kind of like how Dick Labeau stayed DC with the Steelers forever.

We need Linehan. He has saved Garrett from himself. And look at how Tomlin is doing in Pitt with his defense. It would be the same scenario here if the Red One lost Linehan.

Top Bottom