Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Somebody bought him a soda from the snack bar, which was sweet.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Then there was this kid we called "sweats", because he wore sweatpants every day.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sure, but I was saying it was a kind gesture. One of those moments.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd slam my dick in a car door before giving Jerry credit for anything. He's lucky we didn't have to see Weeden for more than one game.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I laugh at how Linahan gets credit the success of the offence but Garrett shit on for going 5 wide. I think Garrett did a great job of coaching this team up and getting them to play above their potential.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Jnday, I give Callahan credit because he's shown to have great lines at several teams now, not just here. And he did reportedly have a big hand, probably was the main guy, in drafting Frederick. As for Livings and Berny, I doubt he ever believed they were great players, but what are you going to do when Jerry says here's x dollars you can spend on the OL and that x is a way-too-small number?

And to what Dooms said, yeah. The "This team was picked 5-11!" crowd can't honestly say a team with six All-Pros, with a top QB and good health, is a 5-11 team. So next year when people pick us as Superbowl winners and we go 10-6 or 9-7, are people going to say it was a shitty year? Doubt it. Most will probably claim it was just bad luck.

Of course this board is smarter than that, which is why it's great.
Callahan was also a big Costa fan. In reality, the line didn't start improving until Pollack was hired. When it comes to the Frederick pick, I wanted him in the draft and watched him a lot in college. Since he has turned out to be a very good player, many fans forgot that he was considered a reach when drafted and I still think the Cowboys could have drafted him with their second round pick. I have no doubt that he would have still been available . I remember the reaction on this board on the night he was drafted. We were all pissed because he was considered a big reach. He turned out to be a good first round pick, but he would have been a great second round pick.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Jnday, I give Callahan credit because he's shown to have great lines at several teams now, not just here. And he did reportedly have a big hand, probably was the main guy, in drafting Frederick. As for Livings and Berny, I doubt he ever believed they were great players, but what are you going to do when Jerry says here's x dollars you can spend on the OL and that x is a way-too-small number?

And to what Dooms said, yeah. The "This team was picked 5-11!" crowd can't honestly say a team with six All-Pros, with a top QB and good health, is a 5-11 team. So next year when people pick us as Superbowl winners and we go 10-6 or 9-7, are people going to say it was a shitty year? Doubt it. Most will probably claim it was just bad luck.

Of course this board is smarter than that, which is why it's great.
Callahan was also a big Costa fan. In reality, the line didn't start improving until a Pollack was hired. When it comes to the Frederick, I wanted him in the draft and watched him a lot in college. Since he has turned out to be a very good player, many fans forgot that he was considered a reach when drafted and I still think the Cowboys could have drafted him with their second round pick. I have no doubt that he would have still been available . I remember the reaction on this board on the night he was drafted. We were all pissed because he was considered a big reach. He turned out to be a good first round pick, but he would have been a great second round pick.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I hate Jerry as much as anyone, but he has been more restrained the last couple of years. He did neuter Garrett as well which deserves some credit.

As far as Garrett, I really do think the team buys into what he talks about. I think they play hard and don't quit. They didn't do that a few years ago, so he deserves credit for that. I honestly think the guy has decent ideas. He really reminds me of the kid that gets a 4.0 in high school, but doesn't really have the common sense to deal with the real world. He has good ideas, but he struggles to actually figure out a way to execute them. RKG isn't new...Parcells talked about not wanting thugs on his team. Two TE? Teams have been trying to make that work for years because, on paper, it's a great idea. The reality is that you need such a unique duo at TE that it becomes practically infeasible to actually implement. It's a package. Keeping Scott Chandler and then drafting someone like Warford instead of Escobar would have been so much more beneficial to the team long term.

Linehan was a breath of fresh air. I just can't buy this whole theory that Garrett wanted to rebuild the OL and the three first round picks were his idea. Uh, no. He was pouting during the whole Frederick deal. Martin was choice #4 after they couldn't find a trade down partner. And this from a HC/OC that had set a franchise record for fewest rush attempts in a season.

But, it worked. Some was luck. OK, that happens with all the good teams in the league. I think the thing that bothers me is that Garrett wasted a few prime years of some good players because he didn't know what he was doing. 2013 was something like 5 games last by 3 points or less. Having a moderately competent OC means wins for most of those. Garrett will always annoy me because he wasted the primes of Romo, Witten and Ware because he wasn't qualified for his job.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
odd that an offensive-minded coach would frown on a much needed center

He got his fucking worthless 2nd TE though.

In retrospect, I believe I will regret this season, even though I feel good about it now.

A lot of things broke our way for once and I know for a fact Jerry will not understand that.

He will look at a division title and seven Pro Bowlers as a sign that only a few tweaks are needed.

We had a RB on a contract year, a head coach trying just that little bit harder to ensure he gets an extension, a gift in McClain that normally would not happen, another gift in Martin that was really option two or three in the draft (two years in a row), guys like Mincey playing way over their heads (when he really is Selvie part two), a bit of a cake schedule when it came down to it and a hell of a lot of fortune on the injury front.

This was a blessed season. Just think about things like the Williams catch in Seattle, Bryant's snag against Houston in OT, even the PI no call in the playoffs. There was a lot of luck in play here and that is not something that carries forward from season to season.

I am sure I missed some stuff, but that is pretty much it.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Martin was option 4. Barr, Donald and Shazier were their preferred options. They still tried to trade down before selecting Martin

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
There was a lot of luck in play here and that is not something that carries forward from season to season.

the Colts having nothing to play for, Skins knocking off the Eagles, Eagles losing their starting QB, taking advantage of an undrafted QB in St. Louis (Carter INT) and their TE dropping a sure TD pass, Church INT vs the Giants that went off Parker's hands near the goal line, Eli not seeing a wide open WR in the same game, etc.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Martin was option 4. Barr, Donald and Shazier were their preferred options. They still tried to trade down before selecting Martin

The entire war room looked totally disgusted when they didn't get any calls to trade down and they had to pick Martin. I think Jerry was convinced that a team would offer a lot to move up for Johnny Football. With the exception Tyron pick, the oline was kinda built by accident.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score

In retrospect, I believe I will regret this season, even though I feel good about it now.

A lot of things broke our way for once and I know for a fact Jerry will not understand that.

He will look at a division title and seven Pro Bowlers as a sign that only a few tweaks are needed.

We had a RB on a contract year, a head coach trying just that little bit harder to ensure he gets an extension, a gift in McClain that normally would not happen, another gift in Martin that was really option two or three in the draft (two years in a row), guys like Mincey playing way over their heads (when he really is Selvie part two), a bit of a cake schedule when it came down to it and a hell of a lot of fortune on the injury front.

This was a blessed season. Just think about things like the Williams catch in Seattle, Bryant's snag against Houston in OT, even the PI no call in the playoffs. There was a lot of luck in play here and that is not something that carries forward from season to season.

I will really be surprised if Jerry doesn't go back to the "one player away" approach that he used after the 2007 season. The surprise success that the team had this season is only going to reenforce his belief that he has been doing a great job as GM and he should continue doing things his way.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I hated the Escobar pick like everyone else. But after seeing him... I was glad for it. But what pisses me off is that we were teased. Escobar had some good games and seemed to add a much needed dimension to the offense. Then all of a sudden... poof. We see no more of him. What the fuck? I guess we should be thankful that we are seeing a bit more from Beasly, but what trips my trigger is the total under-utilization of players like -bar boys (Dun and Esco).

Top Bottom