Reaction score
1/13/2016 7:50:11 PM

Giants offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo is expected to be named the 18th head coach in franchise history, a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to Jordan Raanan and James Kratch of the Newark Star-Ledger on Wednesday night. The deal is not yet official, but both sides are closing in on an agreement.

McAdoo, 38, served as coordinator and called plays under former coach Tom Coughlin for the past two seasons. This will be the first head coaching job for McAdoo, who was also a candidate for the Eagles' head coaching vacancy. He is now the league's youngest active head coach.

McAdoo's hiring gives the Giants continuity as they turn the page from the Coughlin era, and allows quarterback Eli Manning to stay in an offensive system he has flourished in. The Giants hired McAdoo in 2014 after team president and CEO John Mara famously called the team's offense "broken."

Since then, McAdoo has and guided the league's 10th and eighth-ranked offenses in his two seasons as Giants offensive coordinator, and helped Manning produce the best statistical year of his career. Manning threw a career-high 35 touchdown passes in 2015, and had a career-high 93.6 quarterback rating.

"I think our offense certainly improved. I think he's proven himself to be a very good teacher, has a very good handle on our offense," Mara said when asked about McAdoo at his end-of-season press conference. "I think he communicates very well. I think he shows some leadership skills. I think he has some good qualities."

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
a coach to keep Eli happy instead of what's best for the team

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Has a sort of Jason Garrett re-up (paying him 3 mil a year to stay here as OC) ring to it, doesn't it?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
So you part ways with Tom Coughlin. Make no other coaching changes. No changes in the front office. But you let go of Coughlin.. The one guy of the bunch who has actually accomplished shit. That's your answer?

Giants took a significant step back in my mind.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I dont know about that. Not sure what Mcadoo is or isnt, but I think its readily apparent Coughlin had seen the game pass him by.

That doesnt discount anything he did in his prime, he got a lot of of the teams he had in Jacksonville and NY. But the last few yrs in NYG he was not getting results. I wish they had kept him in place to be honest.

Top Bottom