Reaction score
Jason Garrett: We weren’t interested in developing a quarterback for someone else

Posted by Josh Alper on May 12, 2014, 11:02 AM EDT

Before the draft, Bears General Manager Phil Emery said he is not a fan of taking a quarterback in the late rounds because they rarely develop into players that help their teams.

The Bears then wound up taking David Fales in the sixth round last weekend, which addressed a need for depth behind Jay Cutler even if it was a bit curious based on what Emery had to say about late-round quarterbacks. With Kyle Orton’s future uncertain, the Cowboys also had a need for some depth but they didn’t waver from what coach Jason Garrett described as the organization’s own aversion to picking up quarterbacks late in the draft.

“The thing you’re concerned about is developing them for somebody else. You develop them for two, three, four years and he goes and plays for another football team,” Garrett said, via ESPN.com. “We don’t think that’s a worthwhile thing. There’s been a theory around the league, teams like Green Bay for years always took a guy late and if that player develops into something that was a good thing for their team or to trade to somebody else. There were some examples of them doing that. It’s a philosophy a lot of teams, they agree with that. But when you have other issues on your team I think it becomes a little bit of a luxury to do that. When you feel good about your starter and you feel good about your backups, we feel it’s better to take a position player, a guy we know can contribute on special teams, instead of trying to develop that guy.”

The philosophy predates Garrett, who made it to the NFL after going undrafted as did Cowboys starter Tony Romo. The Cowboys have drafted just five quarterbacks in the regular or supplemental draft since 1989 with Troy Aikman, Steve Walsh and Quincy Carter all costing the teams picks in the first two rounds. That leaves Brandon Weeden as the team’s closest thing to a developmental quarterback and will keep the door open for Romo’s possible successor through at least the 2015 draft.

Reaction score
LOL

In other words, "I'm a fucking terrible coach and I need to draft decent enough players who can start now and help me save my job."

He has no ability to develop mid round players because he has no coaching skills. He has no contract past next year. He can't stand out in the sun.

Why on Earth would you make any sort of important personnel decisions with this clown in mind? He's likely on the way out. You don't build your team around the preferences of a shitty 8-8 career coach. He has no interest in the future. He's just trying to save his orange hide right now.

Reaction score
It’s a philosophy a lot of teams, they agree with that. But when you have other issues on your team I think it becomes a little bit of a luxury to do that. When you feel good about your starter and you feel good about your backups, we feel it’s better to take a position player, a guy we know can contribute on special teams, instead of trying to develop that guy.

Whatever you think about Garrett this is accurate. It's why we couldn't take Manziel and are better off taking position players who will actually contribute. I mean Jesus people ranted for days that the trade up was a bad idea because we aren't "one player away" and then want us to drop a useless pick on a backup who will probably never see the field in live action? Come on now.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Whatever you think about Garrett this is accurate. It's why we couldn't take Manziel and are better off taking position players who will actually contribute. I mean Jesus people ranted for days that the trade up was a bad idea because we aren't "one player away" and then want us to drop a useless pick on a backup who will probably never see the field in live action? Come on now.

Hometown Hard-on carries a lot of wait.

CZ had some pissed off posters. I'd bet almost anything they're Texas natives just rooting for the home product.

Freddie

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If there was a 10th round I'm sure Jason would have drafted a QB, just like Landry did in 1964.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score

If Dallas drafted Manziel it would have to be what Mayock suggested, have packages built in for him.

As much as I liked the concept of Manziel in Dallas mainly because I do think Romo is done no later than 2016, plus I would have loved to see the universe implode.

But conceptually, it would have never worked. Garrett is too shiftless and is coaching for his job to ever bother getting creative enough to use Manziel. That said, he would have been a huge distraction. It would make poor Tony uncomfortable and we cannot have that either.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
If Dallas drafted Manziel it would have to be what Mayock suggested, have packages built in for him.

As much as I liked the concept of Manziel in Dallas mainly because I do think Romo is done no later than 2016, plus I would have loved to see the universe implode.

But conceptually, it would have never worked. Garrett is too shiftless and is coaching for his job to ever bother getting creative enough to use Manziel. That said, he would have been a huge distraction. It would make poor Tony uncomfortable and we cannot have that either.

I agree with you. Garrett is not able to alter his offense to fit talent. Manziel would be a bust in Dallas. They finally had a QB drop to them and they was too stupid to draft him. Romo will end up setting this team back in several ways. Salary cap is not the one way. Jerry is gonna hang hope on Romo until it is much too late. The post-Aikman years will been great compared to what the fanbase is about to go through. I hope Manziel goes on to burn Jerry every game he faces the Cowboys. That shouldn't have wasted Manziel's time with the pre-draft interviews knowing that they wouldn't take a QB because of Romo.

Reaction score
I agree with you. Garrett is not able to alter his offense to fit talent. Manziel would be a bust in Dallas. They finally had a QB drop to them and they was too stupid to draft him. Romo will end up setting this team back in several ways. Salary cap is not the one way. Jerry is gonna hang hope on Romo until it is much too late. The post-Aikman years will been great compared to what the fanbase is about to go through. I hope Manziel goes on to burn Jerry every game he faces the Cowboys. That shouldn't have wasted Manziel's time with the pre-draft interviews knowing that they wouldn't take a QB because of Romo.

Okay, so this is the part that doesn't make sense to me. Romo has been resuscitating an otherwise predictable and worthless offense for years. It's the offense that will eventually fail Romo and the team, because the options (as we saw at the end of last year) are quickly fading with no play action and no speed. Back shoulder fades are great but technically the WR is usually not open, it's more of a ball placement and a WR short area tactic.

But with large, tall lanky WRs and TEs and a QB with a quick release, are you saying that a short pass offense that reduces Romo's decisions and holding the ball would not be playing to the teams current (and frankly for years now) strengths? It will be the offense and the unchanging stranglehold that Jason's stupidity has on the direction of the team that will be Romo's undoing and the demise of a team that has had a chance to have Division titles, playoffs, and 10 win seasons for the last three years in a row, but for the strategy of the team does not change a thing for the big shows. The Dallas seasons end the same because by seasons end the opposing teams that study and want to win sees the Dallas season on film and attacks the Garrett system...."we just go with what the defense gives us".

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I like Jimmy Johnson's attitude better. We have ten plays. You can't stop them.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
LOL

In other words, "I'm a fucking terrible coach and I need to draft decent enough players who can start now and help me save my job."

He has no ability to develop mid round players because he has no coaching skills. He has no contract past next year. He can't stand out in the sun.

Why on Earth would you make any sort of important personnel decisions with this clown in mind? He's likely on the way out. You don't build your team around the preferences of a shitty 8-8 career coach. He has no interest in the future. He's just trying to save his orange hide right now.
I totally agree with you on this one. Garrett SUCKS.

Top Bottom