C

Cr122

Posted on 09/28/2011 by torsborn

By Tom Orsborn

Martellus Bennett was roundly criticized for a fourth quarter end zone drop against the Redskins, but Jason Garrett on Wednesday defended the tight end from Texas A&M, saying Tony Romo was partly to blame for the play not resulting in a touchdown.

Romo threw to Bennett’s back shoulder, and the ball went off his hands. The 6-foot-6, 260-pound Bennett failed to attack the ball even though he had a huge size advantage over 5-9 cornerback Josh Wilson.

“I think if you were to ask Tony, I think Tony would say, ‘I would have liked to have gotten that ball higher to him,’ ” Garrett said at his daily press briefing in Irving. “We had a size advantage. We really got what we wanted on that. Martellus is a big guy with long arms who can go get the football. The ball was a little down. Certainly from Martellus’ standpoint, he says, ‘Hey, I should have made that play.’ But I think if you analyze it, Tony would say, ‘I should have thrown it higher and given him a chance to make the play over his head.’ ”

The Cowboys took Bennett in the second round in 2008 hoping he could be a dual-threat as a tight end, but it’s clear now that his role in the NFL will be as a blocker. Bennett caught four TD passes as a rookie, but he hasn’t had any since.

“I think he’s done a good job,” Garrett said. “Martellus has a role on this team that’s really important. We call is ’12 personnel,’ we use two tight ends a lot, and Martellus has typically been the other tight end playing (opposite) Jason Witten. Witten is obviously a marquee player in this league, one of the great tight ends in the league right now, a seven-time Pro Bowler, so he’s the guy who gets the ball a lot. Martellus, in the role he’s got, blocks more and is more of a complimentary receiver. I think if you watch him as a run blocker and a pass protector, he shows up pretty good each and every week. He has grown as a player – still a young guy – but he’s going about it the right way.

We look forward to him continue to grow as a player.”

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Imo he hasn't even started growing as a player. If anything, he's regressed since entering the league. All he contributes to the roster is mass.

Reaction score
Bennett is the kind of player where he's not going to reach his full potential until he's the lead dog at TE.

What's going to happen is, he's going to not be re-signed, and then some team will sign him and he'll rack up 80 receptions a year and everyone will think we somehow fricked up.

Mr.Po

Reaction score
It will be a good day when we don't have to read another article about Martellus Bennett in a Cowboys uniform being an underachiever and the countless masses still trying to defend him. 13 games and counting............

Reaction score
It will be a good day when we don't have to read another article about Martellus Bennett in a Cowboys uniform being an underachiever and the countless masses still trying to defend him. 13 games and counting............

If by "countless masses" you mean his head coach, then ok? Personally, i don't see anything wrong with what JG said about him and he didn't seem to be exaggerating anything. Bennett doesn't seem to be a distraction anymore, plays hard, is a very good blocker most weeks, and probably would've scored a TD for us if Tony throws that ball higher where it should have been. Yea, he's not giving us 5 catches a week, but on a team with Jason Witten, im not expecting that from him.

theogt

Reaction score
Whatever Bennett's faults are, that play wasn't one. There's one place where you can throw that ball within reach of Bennett and it likely not result in a catch -- that's where Tony threw it.

theogt

Reaction score
Bennett is the kind of player where he's not going to reach his full potential until he's the lead dog at TE.

What's going to happen is, he's going to not be re-signed, and then some team will sign him and he'll rack up 80 receptions a year and everyone will think we somehow fricked up.
Damn, I've said this exact same thing before. It's going to suck when it happens.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Thats probably true.

Top Bottom