Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Green Bay still had to somewhat respect the fact that there was a running back in the huddle when they switched up they're personnel.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Okay, who says Beasley catches that pass? Who says he doesn't catch that ball, then fumble like he had been doing throughout that year?
None of that would be a product of a dumb decision of where to go with the ball. The man was wide open.
Single coverage, Dez and his jump ball ability, you take that in a do or die situation.
Yeah, if you want the result to be die.

You're really defending 5 wide on 4th and 2, 5 minutes to go in the playoff game. Your league leading RB on the sideline. Your defense unable to stop their offense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Just so you clods understand me - I would have been totally okay with the play call, had Murray been in there and had gotten a fake handoff. (Even the perfunctory 'show him the ball' half-ass fakes Romo does.) There would be no gripe from me at all, on the play call. But STILL, even with the play-action I call the long ball to Dez DUMB whether it works or not. Had it worked, I would (factually) say 'good job on your dumb luck.'

The dumpoff to Beasley was where the ball should have gone.

Any other down except 4th? Hell yeah if you have Dez in single coverage, throw it. But it's 4th down people.... It's the entire season riding on it. It wasn't the time for that big of a gamble and not the way to play the gamble.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just so you clods understand me - I would have been totally okay with the play call, had Murray been in there and had gotten a fake handoff. (Even the perfunctory 'show him the ball' half-ass fakes Romo does.) There would be no gripe from me at all, on the play call. But STILL, even with the play-action I call the long ball to Dez DUMB whether it works or not. Had it worked, I would (factually) say 'good job on your dumb luck.'

The dumpoff to Beasley was where the ball should have gone.

Any other down except 4th? Hell yeah if you have Dez in single coverage, throw it. But it's 4th down people.... It's the entire season riding on it. It wasn't the time for that big of a gamble and not the way to play the gamble.

You think Prescott would have chose to do the same thing Romo did?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You think Prescott would have chose to do the same thing Romo did?
No. I think he checks it down, gets the first down, and lives to play on. The kid's not the riverboat gambler Tony at times, can be.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Huddle.

I said huddle. In the huddle I'm pretty sure Dunbar wasn't wearing a sign that said "I'm lining up in the slot,".

They know we're not gonna run him on 4th and 2 and it was quickly confirmed when he lined up in the slot. He's no threat and never has been.

Keep reaching though, it's amusing to watch albeit embarrasing for you.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yes, put this little debate on the shelf right next your Bill Bates take, and winning the division with, what was it again, winning 4 division games or something?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yes, put this little debate on the shelf right next your Bill Bates take, and winning the division with, what was it again, winning 4 division games or something?
All of which were quite valid and good points. Although, you do have to be able to do some math to get the second one.

You're really, really saying the GB defense was worried about Dunbar being in the huddle, on that 4th and 2 play two years ago? I'll concede they might have been worried about being out of breath, from laughing at the stupidity of us having Dunbar in there and Murray on the sideline.

Really?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
He thinks being really stupid and throwing deep on 3rd & 1 and 4th & 2 like they did in that GB game back 2 years ago fits his "aggressive" meter.

You forgot to add, then having to fucking punt or at best go for a FG.

Reaction score
No. I think he checks it down, gets the first down, and lives to play on. The kid's not the riverboat gambler Tony at times, can be.

It's not a gamble if you know the receiver will catch it. Not any Cowboy player's fault the NFL is so far up it's own ass.

Romo had two road interceptions all year and a passer rating of over 113-- and that included three "bad-back" games where he screwed the pooch. He wasn't gambling, he knew Dez would catch it.

The moment you get conservative in the playoffs is the moment you fail to hit Terrance Williams deep for a 70+ touchdown to crawl back into a game.

If Dak plays conservatively, then we'd better hope the Packers throw a bunch of turnovers because we'll lose.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Or he would run for it. Something that Garrett seems intent on trying to curb.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's not a gamble if you know the receiver will catch it. Not any Cowboy player's fault the NFL is so far up it's own ass.

Romo had two road interceptions all year and a passer rating of over 113-- and that included three "bad-back" games where he screwed the pooch. He wasn't gambling, he knew Dez would catch it.

The moment you get conservative in the playoffs is the moment you fail to hit Terrance Williams deep for a 70+ touchdown to crawl back into a game.

If Dak plays conservatively, then we'd better hope the Packers throw a bunch of turnovers because we'll lose.

It's not "conservative" to hit the wide open slot guy for 5 yards when it is 4th and 2, down by 6 and 5 minutes left in a game where the opponent offense finally got untracked. It's called, "intelligent."
He wasn't gambling, he knew Dez would catch it.
It doesn't make a fuck who the receiver is, that throw was a gamble. Period. That was chips all in, last ditch, make or break and it was NOT necessary.

And no, he doesn't know the receiver will actually catch it. Ever. He might have faith, but he doesn't know to a certainty. He might believe....

But math tells us there's seven things that can happen on that contested "jump ball" long ball (and only three of those are advantage: Dallas). 1- Dez catches it, 2- Dez catches it and takes it on into the end zone, 3- It's incomplete 4- It gets intercepted 5- It gets intercepted and taken back to the house for a pick six, 6- we get a interference penalty on the defense, 7- we get a interference penalty on us.

When you throw the dumpoff to the wide open Beasley with no one around him, if it's not a stupid horrible pass you really have only three results likely, only one of them bad. Two of them good.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The meter is, 5 wide on 4th and 2 is stupid. And it simply, is. Your league leading rusher everyone's scared of, standing on the sidelines and not even a threat.

I'll give you a little bonus though which I am sure will make you like the call a lot better - Dunbar was in there, lined up in the slot!

I. FUCKING. HATE. THAT. 5-WIDE. As many times it's been ran, I can only remember that it might have worked but twice, and for minimal gain. I wish Jerry would intervene and force Garrett to remove it from the playbook. If there is any play (at least the way Garrett runs it) that is a QB-killer, it is that one. It was that play that got Romo hurt against the Eagles, and I believe he might have been hurt by that same play even before then --- definitely some near-misses.

5-wide, RB on the sidelines. Not a single receiver could get open. Was so well defended, that the two Eagles' LBs that covered the middle of the field were standing around seemingly bored, then got to thinking that maybe one of them should go on a blitz, while the other stays home, but couldn't decide as to who would blitz/stay home, and after a lengthy debate... decided that they would both go on the blitz. They left the middle of the field wide open and still the receivers could not get open, and the two LBs met at the QB, and the rest was hisotry.

3rd and 2... throw a deep pass with a low percentage completion rate, then punt. 3rd and 7 or more... do a little dump pass that nets you only HALF of the total yards that you need for the first.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
3rd and 2... throw a deep pass with a low percentage completion rate, then punt. 3rd and 7 or more... do a little dump pass that nets you only HALF of the total yards that you need for the first.
And dammit, on 2nd and 1 for ONE DAMN TIME gimme a good fake handoff to the Alpha back out of the Jumbo personnel grouping, really sell the run, and uncork a deep ball to Dez!

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
This game pissed me off. Coaching... sigh. Not going for it in the first quarter with Zeke and the best oline in football was idiotic. Continuing to pull Zeke for Dunbar makes me want to break things.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This game pissed me off. Coaching... sigh. Not going for it in the first quarter with Zeke and the best oline in football was idiotic. Continuing to pull Zeke for Dunbar makes me want to break things.

Right there with you. I think a large contingent is.

Top Bottom