Reaction score
I'm surprised more teams weren't all about him.

Same here. Especially the Panthers, who he wanted to sign with but they showed no interest.

He's really talented. No idea why he's been underperforming, but the guy can be as good as Dez if he applies himself.

Reaction score
He's gonna miss playing against our secondary twice a year. I'm sure he used to get Mo Claiborne all the time with the old "your shoes are untied" bit.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
DRC signs with the Giants
DRC a good get, but much more work to do

March, 17, 2014
By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

The signing of cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie is a good move for the New York Giants. I wrote Sunday night that it would be if they signed him, and now that they have, I reiterate this. He's a good player who's played in the Super Bowl and will only be 28 when the season starts. Five years, $39 million with $15 million guaranteed is a whopper of a deal and likely will force a contract restructure or two elsewhere on the roster, but Rodgers-Cromartie has the kind of ability on which it's worth placing a bet, and part of my problem with the Giants' offseason this year has been their seeming unwillingness to place a big bet. So I'm not going to rip this move. One of the Giants' goals when this offseason began was to strengthen their secondary, and they have done so. On paper, it is clearly the strongest part of their roster as currently constructed.

Which brings us to the forward-looking portion of today's program, where we must remind ourselves that the Giants' roster is not yet fully constructed. In fact, it still needs a great deal of work before this can be labeled a 2014 title contender. And if I were making the decisions in East Rutherford, my next focus would be on the line. Either line, defensive or offensive. Because they both need a lot of work.

For argument's sake, and because most of the Giants' offseason work so far has been on defense, let's start with the defensive line. Their best two players on the defensive line last year were, without much competition, Justin Tuck and Linval Joseph. Tuck is now a Raider and Joseph a Viking, which (a) is terrible news if you fear an invasion by marauders and (b) requires the Giants to contemplate their replacements.

Even if you believe that Damontre Moore and Johnathan Hankins will be ready to step into starting roles in their second years and replace the production that Tuck and Joseph delivered in 2013, the Giants still need to add depth at positions where deep rotations are critical. And believing that Moore and Hankins will be ready to do that is a major, major leap of faith in players who didn't see the field much as rookies. Holes remain at this critical spot on which the Giants have built their championship teams, and there's nothing that makes a secondary look bad quicker than an absent pass rush.

As for the offensive line...

Wait a second. Let's call this section "the offense in general." The Giants still have only one viable outside-the-numbers receiver, and that's the still-green Rueben Randle. They have no real tight end, they're hoping banged-up war horse Chris Snee can answer the bell at right guard and their choices right now at center are (a) J.D. Walton, who was a terrible player in 2011 and hasn't played since September of 2012 or (b) Eli Manning hikes the ball to himself like you do in the front yard when your brother is screaming "One Mississippi!"

The Giants have fewer holes than they did a week ago, but they still have plenty of them. And I think that's the cautionary point I'd make here. Yes, there are still free agents to sign, but we all know this process offers no perfect solutions. Yes, the draft looms in May, but how many right-away starters can you hope to get from a draft? Two if you have a good one, three if you really nail it. The Giants, as of this morning, were not Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie away from the Super Bowl, and they remain in the midst of a significant roster rebuild. Some of the choices they have made over the past week will turn out to have been good ones. Others will not. A year from now, they'll re-assess them all and continue working.

But continue working is what the Giants must do. Their 2013 team was a terrible one -- a wheezing husk of a championship team that won seven of its final 10 games because it kept fighting when teams that had more talent but less character rolled over. The manner in which the Giants have operated this offseason so far shows that they weren't fooled by their strong finish and know how large the project that lies in front of them still is. They must and will continue to keep working, because they still have a lot of work to do.

Reaction score
Justin Tuck is out in NY? A Raider now? I had no idea. Just found out. Good... I hate that guy.

Reaction score
Eagles reportedly willing to release DeSean Jackson
By Marc Sessler
Around the League Writer

Published: March 22, 2014 at 01:45 p.m. Updated: March 23, 2014 at 06:28 a.m.

If the Philadelphia Eagles can't find a trade partner for DeSean Jackson, they're reportedly willing to mimic Carolina's route with Steve Smith and flat out release the deep threat.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News was told by a source Saturday that "Philly is trading him or cutting him. That's a fact. They don't want him."

Geoff Mosher of CSN Philly cited sources to report that Jackson has "ruffled too many feathers for new coach Chip Kelly," while another source told Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer that the seventh-year wideout is "as good as gone."

Jackson has every reason to desire his release over being shopped.

Mehta reported earlier that DJax remains unwilling to restructure his deal in order to ease his $10.5 million salary cap hit for potential suitors. Why should he? With a pile of franchises known to have some level of interest -- including the Jets, Panthers, Raiders, 49ers and Patriots -- Jackson will benefit from an all-out bidding war on the open market.

The Eagles reportedly have "informally" reached out to teams about a deal, and we'd imagine those in contact made it clear they had no interest in swapping draft picks while also paying Jackson's unwieldy salary. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted Saturday that the Raiders and Jets loom as the "most likely" candidates to still view a trade as a possibility.

It's increasingly likely that the Eagles will be required to cut Jackson if Kelly and Co. remain intent on moving forward without the playmaker. Resident soothsayer Chris Wesseling calls it a 97 percent lock that D-Jax isn't with the Eagles come September.

If and when that figure climbs to 100, the league-wide battle to acquire his services will be fierce.

Top Bottom