bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
ZBY7EDRNYWTX33SO4GUKA6DFUE.jpg

By Calvin Watkins
7:30 PM on Oct 13, 2019

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Happy birthday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones turned 77 years old Sunday and his trip to the East Coast wasn’t a good one. The Cowboys suffered an embarrassing 24-22 loss to the New York Jets, a team that was winless coming into the game. You could question the play-calling of Kellen Moore, the defensive issues and maybe coach Jason Garrett.

But the Cowboys (3-3) are in the midst of a three-game losing streak and are tied for first place in the NFC East with the Eagles (3-3). The teams play Sunday night at AT&T Stadium.

The final series
The Cowboys made a frantic comeback to even get to within two points after Dak Prescott scored on a draw play. But when the Cowboys needed a two-point conversion try, Prescott’s throw to Jason Witten was at his feet for an incompletion, more-or-less ending the contest. Prescott got pressure up the middle by Jets safety Jamal Adams and Witten complained about getting held by safety Marcus Maye on the route. But it doesn’t matter; the Cowboys shouldn’t be in this situation.

Elliott’s strong game
If you’re wondering why the Cowboys paid Ezekiel Elliott, look no further than Sunday afternoon. Elliott rushed 28 times for 105 yards with a five-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter. When the Cowboys were mounting a comeback, it was Elliott who was really the only productive member of the offense. This is why you take care of Elliott with the largest contract for a running back in NFL history. He wasn’t perfect -- he had a drop -- but playing a game without his two starting tackles and getting 100-plus yards tells you something about him.

The 4th-and-2 call
This game really turned in the second quarter when a questionable play-call by Kellen Moore hurt the Cowboys. With the Cowboys trailing 7-3, the Cowboys were facing a third-and-1 from the Jets 6. Elliott was stopped for a loss and the Cowboys decided to go for it. OK, fine. But on the fourth-down play, the Cowboys called what looked like a quarterback draw with Dak Prescott. Standing beside him was Elliott, so maybe it was supposed to be an option play or maybe a pitch to Elliott? But Prescott was stopped for a 1-yard loss. When the Jets got the ball, Robby Anderson ran a stop-and-go route, shaking cornerback Chidobe Awuzie, turning it into a 92-yard touchdown. It made the score 14-3 Jets and the momentum was clearly with the home team.

Injuries galore
The Cowboys entered the Jets game minus three starters: Tyron Smith, La’el Collins and Randall Cobb. They left MetLife Stadium missing Amari Cooper, Dorance Armstrong, Anthony Brown and Byron Jones to injuries. Cooper was hurt in the first quarter with a quad injury and didn’t return. Cooper was dealing with the injury during the week of practice but indicated it was fine. Cooper took a hard hit on his first reception of the day and came up a little gimpy. Leg injuries to Jones and Brown limited the secondary to Jourdan Lewis and C.J. Goodwin getting snaps in the second half on passing downs. Armstrong suffered a neck injury in the first half and didn’t return and it put a pause on the rotation of linemen. Early in the game, the Cowboys utilized Armstrong with Kerry Hyder at end but after Armstrong was hurt, they stuck with starters Robert Quinn and DeMarcus Lawrence for a majority of the second half.

Dropped passes
The Cowboys had five dropped passes in the game, an ungodly amount for any team. It all started when Witten dropped a pass when he was wide open in the middle of the field. Michael Gallup suffered two drops, and Elliott and Blake Jarwin also dropped passes.

Dupree89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I feel much better after listening to our very own Coach Garrett just now on 105.3 radio. It was pretty much his opening statement that has boosted my enthusiasm and my outlook on the 2019 season. I think you guys will get on board the playoff wagon when you read this. I am pumped up, gentlemen. Who is with me? here we go....

JG on 105.3

We just didn't get the job done. When the guys come in today, we'll clean some things up and then set our eyes on the next challenge, which is Philadelphia.

BGeezy

Spectator
Reaction score
that 4th and 2 call and the 2 pt conversion play call were some of the worst I've ever seen

Dupree89

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Sam Darnold on the Cowboys: “They just kind of did what they do. They do it every single week. They just play one-high, occasionally two-high, and they like to stop the run. I knew that I had to throw the ball today to have success, and we did that.”

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
One take away. This team gonna draft in the mid teens. Wonder who Riley gonna want.
Love where your head is at
If Riley does come in is Dak a QB he could work magic with (like Mayfield, Murray and Hurts)?

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I feel much better after listening to our very own Coach Garrett just now on 105.3 radio. It was pretty much his opening statement that has boosted my enthusiasm and my outlook on the 2019 season. I think you guys will get on board the playoff wagon when you read this. I am pumped up, gentlemen. Who is with me? here we go....

JG on 105.3

We just didn't get the job done. When the guys come in today, we'll clean some things up and then set our eyes on the next challenge, which is Philadelphia.
Fuck I think I've heard that a time or two before!!!!!!!! SMH

George1960

Spectator
Reaction score
The Cowboys last play was one of the worst plays ever called. What were they thinking?
I guess they weren't thinking. Worst I've ever seen and I have been a fan since 1960.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Cowboys last play was one of the worst plays ever called. What were they thinking?
Plus, what was the big hurry? Had 2 timeouts which don't do you any good at all taking to the locker room with you, and snapped the ball with a full 18 seconds left on the frikkin play clock! WTF, I shouted at my TV.

Welcome to the DCU by the way.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well George i have been a fan since 1968, Dandy Don's last year and the last 23 years have been one continuous kidney stone. Stick around it will probably get worse.

chilledpeper

IM THE ONE WITH THE BALL.
Reaction score
Two things I have observed. Outside of the x's and O's, outside of injuries. It seems the Cowboys are getting their behinds handed to them as a team and as individual matchups are concerned. in the last three losses. Football is 90% mental and 10% physical so they say. All I know is we are getting beat on the offensive line, the d-line can't keep consistent pressure on the Q.B. let alone get sacks. our linebackers are late to the play and miss tackles or even get run over. Our secondary does not physically challenge any pass. WE ARE GETTING BEAT PHYSICALLY ON, JUST ABOUT EVERY PLAY. Now speaking about the mental side OR the 90% of the game. Offensively it looks like opposing teams have figured out Kellen Mores strategy. But there is a rumor that Garret is getting more involved in the offensive play calling. And that would make sense to me when it comes to knowing what the cowboys will do during each play. But back to the players they are flat-lined physically. Mentally they are comfortable, meaning to say they have bought into the excitement of us the fans and they seem to have bought into the hype that they are an established team. And every player that has gotten paid with a new contract is now nonexistent inconsistent play. Especially Lawrence. The same ole same ole. Hence back to coaching mental preparation. GARRENT CAN NOT MOTIVATE. COWBOYS NEED TO PLAY WITH SMART ANGER. WHAT DO YOU THINK.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plus, what was the big hurry? Had 2 timeouts which don't do you any good at all taking to the locker room with you, and snapped the ball with a full 18 seconds left on the frikkin play clock! WTF, I shouted at my TV.

Welcome to the DCU by the way.

Even if we'd have converted, we would have given the Jets the ball back with 40 seconds or so. Horrible clock management.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Two things I have observed. Outside of the x's and O's, outside of injuries. It seems the Cowboys are getting their behinds handed to them as a team and as individual matchups are concerned. in the last three losses. Football is 90% mental and 10% physical so they say. All I know is we are getting beat on the offensive line, the d-line can't keep consistent pressure on the Q.B. let alone get sacks. our linebackers are late to the play and miss tackles or even get run over. Our secondary does not physically challenge any pass. WE ARE GETTING BEAT PHYSICALLY ON, JUST ABOUT EVERY PLAY. Now speaking about the mental side OR the 90% of the game. Offensively it looks like opposing teams have figured out Kellen Mores strategy. But there is a rumor that Garret is getting more involved in the offensive play calling. And that would make sense to me when it comes to knowing what the cowboys will do during each play. But back to the players they are flat-lined physically. Mentally they are comfortable, meaning to say they have bought into the excitement of us the fans and they seem to have bought into the hype that they are an established team. And every player that has gotten paid with a new contract is now nonexistent inconsistent play. Especially Lawrence. The same ole same ole. Hence back to coaching mental preparation. GARRENT CAN NOT MOTIVATE. COWBOYS NEED TO PLAY WITH SMART ANGER. WHAT DO YOU THINK.

Welcome to the board. More and more people are starting to realize what a lot of us saw years ago. In a way, I'm glad Jerry wasted 10 years of his (limited) life with this bum. I hope he regrets it because the cocksucker took 10 years of my fandom and made me endure the Red Dolt. Of course, the blow would have been soften had I made billions over that time frame like Jerry did.

Top Bottom