Reaction score
Eric Dickerson's advice to Cowboys: Don't fear 400 carry mark, keep giving DeMarco Murray the ball!

Twenty-eight years ago, then-Los Angeles Rams coach John Robinson asked his future Hall of Fame running back if he could handle 30 carries in a game.

Eric Dickerson couldn't say yes fast enough.

And when the 1986 season opener was over, Dickerson had done even more: 38 carries for 193 yards and two touchdowns. All that was left was to answer Robinson's next question.

"He asked me, 'Well, do you think you can do it again?'" Dickerson recounted with a laugh.

You can tell that Dickerson likes telling that story. In his mind, it's a good illustration of what his NFL era was like. It was tough, challenging – in both good and bad ways. So you can understand why he takes a different view of Dallas Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray than the rest of us. As it stands, Murray is on pace for a mind-numbing 424 carries this season, which would set the league's single-season rushing attempts mark, eight more than what Larry Johnson did in 2006.

But Dickerson – the league's all-time single-season rushing leader – says this is all a breath of fresh air. Much to the contrary of popular hand-wringing.

"He's wearing the right number to do it," the Hall of Famer said with a laugh, noting his numerical kinship with Murray's No. 29. "… It comes down to the player, if he wants to carry it that much. That's his job if they give it to him 45 times."

In this more health-conscientious era of the NFL (or what some veterans call the "softer" era), that's almost an unthinkable stance. Sure, Murray is off to a captivating start. He's on track to break the 2,000-yard rushing mark. He's only the second NFL player in history to rush for at least 100 yards in the first six games of a season (the other is Jim Brown).

Yet, with concussions and the general knowledge of the pounding players take, it's hard to look at Murray and not cringe. From a professional standpoint, he's in a contract year and running straight into a bank. But from a medical standpoint, there's a safe plummeting toward him from the bank's second-floor window.

The Cowboys aren't exactly refuting that. Just last week, team owner Jerry Jones and head coach Jason Garrett were both fretting about Murray's workload. It should be dialed back, they said. Others should get involved in the running scheme – this was the memorandum.

Of course, this was before Sunday's statement against the Seattle Seahawks, when that same memorandum went into a fourth-quarter paper shredder. Murray finished with 35 total touches Sunday, including handling the ball a whopping 11 of the final 14 plays by Dallas (including two nullified by penalty). That put Murray on pace for 480 total touches this season, which would be the second-highest total in NFL history. And all this after Murray has already missed games with knee and ankle injuries in each of the past three seasons.
All of which looks bad for Murray. But hang with Dickerson for a second. He's speaking from experience. He thinks that, health permitting, players in this era can still thrive with a 400-carry season mixed into their resume. While popular opinion trends in the other direction, Dickerson suggests it doesn't have to be a career-ending event.

Dickerson holds himself out as proof. He ran the ball 404 times in 1986 – one of only five players to eclipse the 400-carry mark in a single season. The others were Johnson with the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Falcons' Jamal Anderson (410), the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' James Wilder (407) and the Tennessee Titans' Eddie George (403).

Dickerson's season, much like Murray's now, was a marriage of need, health and willingness. He finished with 431 total touches (404 rushing, 26 receiving and one pass) and propelled the Rams into the playoffs despite a mediocre offense that didn't field another Pro Bowl-caliber player that season.

But he carried the team because that was what was expected. And he did it without physical perfection, too.

"I wasn't healthy the whole year," he said. "You're never healthy. You can't be."

Indeed, he wore a makeshift splint on a bad toe that plagued him his entire career. But Dickerson would point out the 404 carries didn't end him. He finished with 1,821 rushing yards that season, and notched three more 1,000-yard seasons after that, until age and a terrible Indianapolis Colts team wore him down.

All of which undercuts the 400-mark myth. Of the five players who topped the mark, only Johnson never managed another 1,000-yard season. And while both Anderson and Johnson were undone by injuries that quickly ended their careers following their 400-carry seasons, it's worth noting that poor offensive lines constructed around them expedited the process.

Dickerson says that while he agrees safety has to be a primary precaution for Murray going forward, history doesn't. He's a firm believer that even in a passing cycle, championship teams need a dominant running back more often than not. And if Murray is willing to carry that load, he should be allowed to.

"The big question is how DeMarco Murray feels," Dickerson said. "That's what it comes down to."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/eric-dickerson-s-advice-to-cowboys--don-t-fear-400-carry-mark--keep-giving-demarco-murray-the-ball-191334645.html;_ylt=AwrBJR8Gx0BU5igAo1lNbK5_

Last edited:
Reaction score
I thought I would share this article. In the last several days I watched A Football Life: Eric Dickerson on NFL Network several times. Just like listening to old music that reminds you of certain times in our lives, that show about Eric Dickerson kinda took me back 30 years and brought back a lot of old memories, good and bad.

I remember all the buzz about Eric Dickerson back in the 1980's. The Cowboys were going down hill then, so everyone in PA that I knew was busting on me for remaining a staunch Cowboys fan. At that time, I had a Home TVRO Satellite Dish company I started that I sold, installed and repaired big 10-15 foot dishes, so I got all the raw NFL feeds from the networks without commercials.

The Rams werent paying Eric any where close to what he deserved. A lot of fans said he was greedy and selfish. The man played with such a passion and he was fun to watch. He had an elusiveness that was mesmerizing to me.

The link in my post takes you to a video where Deion introduces this articles topic. Its amazing how all the sports talking heads on NFL Network, etc are all calling the Cowboys as the best team in the league right now. Time will tell. Enjoy!!

Last edited:

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Ride Murray like a friday night whore, then let someone else over pay him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yet, with concussions and the general knowledge of the pounding players take, it's hard to look at Murray and not cringe. From a professional standpoint, he's in a contract year and running straight into a bank. But from a medical standpoint, there's a safe plummeting toward him from the bank's second-floor window.
He is running smart, not taking the really hard shots and picking his spots to deliver blows. This isn't anything like Earl Campbell.

Reaction score
Running smart can only take you so far, and you can't discount his injury history.

Dallas needs another running back, badly.

Reaction score
It's frightening when you look at the roster how little depth this team has at RB and O-Line.

I like Parnell and Bernadeau, though. They can start and even play at a high level in stretches. Seven deep is fairly solid and after that I think the rest of the league is kind of in the same boat.

But the running back situation is just silly. Another durable RB capable of breaking big plays would make an incredible addition to this team, both now and/or if Murray is out of the lineup.

Reaction score
I was just looking over NFL.com news and saw this about NFL Networks show: A Football Life - Eric Dickerson -----

2. Eric Dickerson: My main takeaway from Dickerson's episode of A Football Life is he was the NFL's version of Alex Rodriguez in the 1980s. Crazy talented. Prodigious stats man. Both confident and insecure. Not particularly beloved by teammates or any fanbase.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Saw that show today. My favorite non-Cowboys player ever. Just an incredible, amazing talent.

Besides his tremendous speed, Brian Baldinger, who was on the team with him at Indy, said he'd never seen a player like him. Said not only was he never hurt (until like his sixth year in the league when he strained a hammy) he was never even out of breath. Said one time at the end of the game, they were down by one or two and got the ball at their own 20. After carrying it all day, they handed him the ball eight straight times, got to field goal range, and kicked the FG to win, and he never got winded. Then the day after games in the training room when they'd all be hurt and sore and trying to recover, Dickerson would just be walking around like nothing had happened.

Anyway, I disagree that Murray isn't taking any bad shots. I've already seen him getting up slowly several times the last two or three games late in the game. It's just a matter of time until he has to be helped off the field.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What I find interesting and a little confusing is how the modern day player is more protected by the rules than in any other time in history, practices are limited in contact to 14 days (IIRC), presumably equipment and pads are better and the RBs are running less yet injuries "seem" to be more numerous.

The players from the teams of the 90's always said practice was harder than the games, so add all those plays to the wear and tear on the players from the 90's (and prior years) and its even more remarkable how they held up.

How did players survive after playing so much more and practicing so much harder? It makes Emmitt's record all the more impressive and possibly unbreakable.

I can't help but wonder if the money has gotten so big that players are making more "business decisions" to prolong their careers.

Reaction score
What I find interesting and a little confusing is how the modern day player is more protected by the rules than in any other time in history, practices are limited in contact to 14 days (IIRC), presumably equipment and pads are better and the RBs are running less yet injuries "seem" to be more numerous.

The players from the teams of the 90's always said practice was harder than the games, so add all those plays to the wear and tear on the players from the 90's (and prior years) and its even more remarkable how they held up.

How did players survive after playing so much more and practicing so much harder? It makes Emmitt's record all the more impressive and possibly unbreakable.

I can't help but wonder if the money has gotten so big that players are making more "business decisions" to prolong their careers.
Players have gotten bigger and faster over the years and the severity of hits has gone way up.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I think 1) they were toughened up from hitting in practice and 2) more injuries are discovered and players are held out more often. Back then I think they were more willing to shoot it up, tape it up, and send the guy back out there.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Players have gotten bigger and faster over the years and the severity of hits has gone way up.

I think that applies to the 80's and prior years but early 90's onward, I don't think the size of players has increased enough to be the cause, but I'll admit I'm pulling this opinion out of my ass, so some stats geek could show us that overall size has increased by x%

I think 1) they were toughened up from hitting in practice and 2) more injuries are discovered and players are held out more often. Back then I think they were more willing to shoot it up, tape it up, and send the guy back out there.

Good points that make sense, I'd also add that the tougher more physical practices from high school on up probably creates a type of survival of the fittest in that the toughest most durable players rise to the top if for no other reason than they somehow can withstand injuries better

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Dickerson and Hershel Walker - two perfect physical specimens with super-human cardio-vascular systems.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I agree with this completely.

But you just know we're going to make a bad financial decision here.
People here were ripping me for saying the same thing just two weeks ago. What's changed?

I was saying, "Ride Murray like the rented mule he is then let him get the big contract from some other team. Running backs are a dime a dozen."

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
My strategy with Murray would be we want you but not at the expense of tying up the cap. Tell him we want to give him a fair deal but also want to build a solid roster around him.

At the same time, I'd completely understand if he wants to test the market and get a big payday. He has one, maybe two, chances at a life-changing contract. If we let him go, we have to invest FA money (Adrain Peterson, Mark Ingram, Darren McFadden) or an early draft pick (Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, T.J. Yeldon) on a RB. Don't go the Troy Hambrick route and think Randle and Dunbar will be fine behind this O Line. Have to replace talent with talent.

Not to homer too much for USC guys but Buck Johnson is a poor man's Murray. Tough physical runner and good receiver out of the backfield. Probably will go in the 3rd round like Murray as well.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not to homer too much for USC guys but Buck Johnson is a poor man's Murray. Tough physical runner and good receiver out of the backfield. Probably will go in the 3rd round like Murray as well.
And would come alot less expensively than re-signing Murray.

Top Bottom