VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Up until we had a 295 pound All Pro playing the position in Wade's one-gap system, I'd always heard the first thing a good 3-4 defense needed was a stout NG who ate double teams for lunch. After seeing our DL get blown off the ball all last season, I have begun to believe that we badly need that anchor in the middle and will continue to struggle stopping the run until we do.

There's a reason I watch NFL football from my couch instead of the sideline, but...

No one will ever convince me that Ratliff's quickness and strength don't suit him perfectly to the end position in a 3-4 or that putting a guy like Abrayo Franklin between Rat and Spears on our starting DL wouldn't greatly improve the Dallas D.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
About half the fan base has been calling for this for years now.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And we're about to extend the contract of the little guy that's been playing there. Perfect.

Doesn't mean he still won't end up at DE. Jerry can't stop talking about the 2010 Packers (replaced his crush on the 2008 Giants) and a big part of their success on D is NT BJ Raji. Maybe we get our own true NT before next season???

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I love JRat but watching Raji vs the Saints tonight made me wish for a big fat guy to just freakin disrupt the middle.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Saints had a big fat guy too...he made no difference whatsoever

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The Saints had a big fat guy too...he made no difference whatsoever

The Saints have a big, old, washed up fat guy (Shaun Rogers). Franklin didn't play for crap, either, though, so...

I believe that if you put Phil Taylor between Spears and Ratliff, you make the Dallas D instantly better.

It seems obvious to me, but I bring it up because I mentioned my opinion that the team needs a real NG on another board and got ridiculed for it. Was just wondering.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That was my point, that if the guy is just fat, he doesnt do crap for the defense.

There are a very limited amount of guys in the league like BJ Raji

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That was my point, that if the guy is just fat, he doesnt do crap for the defense.

There are a very limited amount of guys in the league like BJ Raji

Yea being a fat guy has nothing todo with being a good nose tackle......fat guys are cut from nearly every roster every year.

But finding a big body athlete who can play on all downs and beat double teams is extremely hard to find....

Doesn't mean Ratliff hasn't been outstanding because he has been, but there would be a huge upgrade with taylor or Raji inside and rat on the end..

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Saints have a big, old, washed up fat guy (Shaun Rogers). Franklin didn't play for crap, either, though, so...

I believe that if you put Phil Taylor between Spears and Ratliff, you make the Dallas D instantly better.

It seems obvious to me, but I bring it up because I mentioned my opinion that the team needs a real NG on another board and got ridiculed for it. Was just wondering.

If it was a choice between getting a stud OT in Smith, and an NT like Taylor. I'll take Smith every time.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If it was a choice between getting a stud OT in Smith, and an NT like Taylor. I'll take Smith every time.

Oh, I agree 100%. My comment doesn't apply to the 2011 draft specifically, or any other.

All I'm saying is that the Dallas D would be better off with a "real" NT and Rat moved to DE. The team and lots of fans seem satisfied that Rat belongs in the middle, however.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh, I agree 100%. My comment doesn't apply to the 2011 draft specifically, or any other.

All I'm saying is that the Dallas D would be better off with a "real" NT and Rat moved to DE. The team and lots of fans seem satisfied that Rat belongs in the middle, however.

we dont have a choice. He is an extremely talented player and him at the nose gives us the best chance to win. He is a great player...misplaced or not he is the best we have.

VAcowboy

Practice Squad
Reaction score
we dont have a choice. He is an extremely talented player and him at the nose gives us the best chance to win. He is a great player...misplaced or not he is the best we have.

Yeh, but we should have been looking seriously for a nose man since Ferguson's exit and that hasn't looked looked to me to be the case.

Reaction score
We no longer run a traditional 3-4 defense.

But yeah, I'd love to get a Raji type in here.

As others said though... those guys are rare.

I mean, think about it... you're basically looking for a fat guy who's extremely motivated. That's almost an oxymoron.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeh, but we should have been looking seriously for a nose man since Ferguson's exit and that hasn't looked looked to me to be the case.

i guess but, with wades style of shooting 1 gap ratliff was fine. 2 gapping on running downs is entirely different. We need that style more now than with wade.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If you look at Ryans D. IDK if some of you have had a chance to actually see his def in action other than the vanilla defense in preseason. But the guy has crazy formations. hell half the time theres only 2 DL with their hand on the ground. and most of the time its the DE's

Top Bottom