Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
YES: I wear mine if I am out in crowded public spaces, like shopping for example. I don't wear it while driving, or in the house or out in the yard. I take it off immediately after exiting the store and don't put it on until right before I go in. I keep 3-4 of them in my truck and pick which one I wanna wear pretty much at random. They are stored in the center console of my truck.

WHY: I don't have any illusions at all that it protects me or others. I also don't see it as any kind of political statement or opinion in any way. It's also not a matter of "compliance" for me at all. I wear it because it is fun for me. I make silly masks and get to wear them. Six months ago if you went into a bank wearing a mask, they would call security or trip the silent robbery alarm! It's cool to wear it, to me.

I see people all the time not wearing them and it's okay with me, I respect their beliefs. It's not difficult. They see my cool masks and invariably ask about them. Gives people smiles and chuckles. Isn't that about the best thing we can do while out in public, make 'em smile? Help them in some small way, have a little bit better day?

That's my philosophy, anyway.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
I wear it when I go to stores and a dr appt, only because they boot you out if you don't. I don't wear one to drive or walk around on the beach.

I personally think it's useless.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wear a mask if I’m going into a store

But other than that I typically don’t

The reason I wear one is because my wife is extra sensitive to respiratory infection. Any plain cold can and has turned into a nasty bout of pneumonia for her. A simple cold a couple years ago had her bed ridden for 2+ weeks

I’m under no allusion that my wearing a mask will protect me from getting sick as it’s been proven that any mask that is not n95 certified will allow COVID thru. But.... it makes her feel better when I wear one so I do it to make her feel safer.

I refuse to wear one (and it’s not required) while exorcizing. So I never wear one while I’m on my bike. But I always have one in my pocket and ready to put on if I stop somewhere or if someone stops to talk to me.

I also wear one if I’m in public on surveillance. Simply because if I don’t I stand out and draw too much attention to myself which is the last thing I want in my line of work.

Not wearing a mask here in L.A. is like smoking in public. Everyone here looks at you like you are personally trying to kill them and they shun you like a pariah

Last edited:

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
YES: I wear mine if I am out in crowded public spaces, like shopping for example. I don't wear it while driving, or in the house or out in the yard. I take it off immediately after exiting the store and don't put it on until right before I go in. I keep 3-4 of them in my truck and pick which one I wanna wear pretty much at random. They are stored in the center console of my truck.

WHY: I don't have any illusions at all that it protects me or others. I also don't see it as any kind of political statement or opinion in any way. It's also not a matter of "compliance" for me at all. I wear it because it is fun for me. I make silly masks and get to wear them. Six months ago if you went into a bank wearing a mask, they would call security or trip the silent robbery alarm! It's cool to wear it, to me.

I see people all the time not wearing them and it's okay with me, I respect their beliefs. It's not difficult. They see my cool masks and invariably ask about them. Gives people smiles and chuckles. Isn't that about the best thing we can do while out in public, make 'em smile? Help them in some small way, have a little bit better day?

That's my philosophy, anyway.

A sound policy.
This is almost exactly what I do, except I don't decorate mine, although the idea is great.
If we hit a place of business that requires one, we put em on.
If not, we don't.
The only places in our little town that absolutely demand a mask are medical facilities and one pharmacy.
Mostly local businesses are pretty cool about it, no shame or fuss if you wear one, no fuss if you don't.
As you say most masks are ineffective, especially the homemade ones, but if makes that person feel better, I don't care.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
ya i wear a mask at the store and ive been getting groceries done at a record pace. mostly because i never have gum when i need it and i cant stand the smell of my own breath

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The reason I wear one is because my wife is extra sensitive to respiratory infection. Any plain cold can and has turned into a nasty bout of pneumonia for her. A simple cold a couple years ago had her bed ridden for 2+ weeks

Did you wear a mask before Covid?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I wear a mask when I'm protesting or otherwise go out in public. It especially helps from being identified when I burn shit down. But if I have no plans on bringing down a statue of Christopher Columbus or George Washington, I may go maskless.......but that's just me.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If I could never wear one, I'd be happy.

Have to wear it in a few places here (like the grocery store, my haircut place or the medical office where I pick up my med) but otherwise I wear it nowhere.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I was going to bust your stones a bit but it's too serious an issue Scott so I'll apologize for the stupid thought. My daughter has a blood disorder and has needed a blood transfusion in the past to fight off viruses. Masks are fine but we didn't wear them before even though we had family members who are higher risk. I guess that's my point.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I was going to bust your stones a bit but it's too serious an issue Scott so I'll apologize for the stupid thought. My daughter has a blood disorder and has needed a blood transfusion in the past to fight off viruses. Masks are fine but we didn't wear them before even though we had family members who are higher risk. I guess that's my point.

No worries

I knew where you were going with it

I was just waiting for your response

LOL

I don’t wear it to keep her safe necessarily

I wear it more because it makes her feel safer and keeps me from hearing her bitch about me not wearing one

She has a few N95 masks that she wears. But those are hard to come by so I save those for her. She is the one out in public all the time.

With my job I’m usually flying solo doing surveillance so I hardly come in contact with people at work, or if I’m tailing someone on foot I’m so far back that I’m still not around other people. It’s usually only when I go to the store that I’m around other people. But those instances are few and far between.

cml750

Facepalm
Reaction score
I wear one in stores or Dr. appt only and that is only because it is currently required. I have been avoiding both as much as possible. Overall I am fed up with all of this bullshit. I mean my wife and daughter have both had the virus and recovered yet sill have to where mask?? Why just to make others "feel better"? I honestly do not care if I catch the virus and think I may be immune already because I lived with two people who had it yet never tested positive. i still need to get an antibody test but have not had the time to try to figure out where to go to have one and it would just be another place where I have to wear a damn mask which I actively try to avoid.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No worries

I knew where you were going with it

I was just waiting for your response

LOL

I don’t wear it to keep her safe necessarily

I wear it more because it makes her feel safer and keeps me from hearing her bitch about me not wearing one

She has a few N95 masks that she wears. But those are hard to come by so I save those for her. She is the one out in public all the time.

With my job I’m usually flying solo doing surveillance so I hardly come in contact with people at work, or if I’m tailing someone on foot I’m so far back that I’m still not around other people. It’s usually only when I go to the store that I’m around other people. But those instances are few and far between.

I completely understand. I think it's a bit hypocritical that we didn't take these precautionary steps before (as a country) but we do now. We've ruined the country with these guidelines that governors are enforcing with an iron fist. It's absolutely political. Even if Trump is reelected, I don't have any illusions about the country coming back. On the flip side, if the left is elected, I absolutely know what direction this country will go and we'll see drastic changes to our civil liberties and once they pack SCOTUS with left leaners, it's all over but the crying.

And while you're trying to protect yourself from the virus, what ever happened to Hepatitis? That was the #1 fear for folks in your profession, along with AIDS and a host of other diseases transmitted by blood or bodily fluids. But you still lived without a mask.

Top Bottom