bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Why the Cowboys need to start wheeling and dealing right now, and why they're in the perfect spot to do it

1520525705-NFLDraftDay3_AL037.JPG

By Tim Cowlishaw, Staff Columnist

Let's say right off the top that there are no prizes for being the most interesting NFL team in the first week of March. In fact, if reports are true, and the Minnesota Vikings are set to reward Kirk Cousins with a $91 million fully guaranteed contract Wednesday when the offseason officially begins, I can't tell you what the Norseman are winning.

Other than the rights to a quarterback with a 4-19 record against winning teams.

Still, the Super Bowl champs are on the move. The Giants have stepped into the fray. The Rams are all over the place, acquiring elite defensive backs, shedding good front-7 players, and who knows what that's about other than preparation for the coming years where they must issue second contracts to Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley and Jared Goff.

Michael Bennett, brother of the occasionally beloved Marty B and a man who still produced 81/2 sacks while playing hurt in 2017, is now an Eagle. For a championship team that was probably going to lose defensive tackle Vinny Curry, to scoop up what remains of Bennett -- another good year, maybe two -- for a fifth-round pick is a steal.

Howie Roseman continued to deal Friday as the Eagles GM sent wide receiver Torrey Smith to Carolina for a young cornerback, Daryl Worley. No rest days for the champs.

The desperate Giants began to regroup by landing former Rams captain Alec Ogletree and a seventh-round pick for a four and a six. Moving third-day draft pieces across the table to claim veteran starters is a move every team should make whenever possible. This is especially true if you happen to be the Cowboys and the league has bestowed four compensatory picks upon you for last year's free-agent defections.

Those picks, now tradeable, give the Cowboys a 1, a 2, a 3, two 4's, two 5's, two 6's and a 7. And while NFL owners love the cheap labor that draft picks represent, it doesn't really make sense to head into the 2018 season with 10 rookies from the draft board. The Cowboys' history at scoring with those third-day picks can certainly be called into question.

Now there is plenty of time to start shuffling some of these picks around in order to move up in the first or second round or wherever. The draft at AT&T Stadium does not commence until April 26. To say that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will hope to gain some national attention for his team's draft performance is an understatement. But beyond that, the time to strike is now because the team's star power at quarterback and running back is operating on rookie contracts well below their true value. This is especially true with Dak Prescott, set to make a base salary of $630,000 with a cap hit of $725,000 in 2018.

What's that make him -- about 21/2 percent of Kirk Cousins?

"We need to take advantage of structuring and putting this team together at the contract level we've got right here," Jones said while in Indianapolis for the scouting combine. Of Prescott, Jones said, "He's going to get his extraordinary contract. But while we can put a team together and take advantage of where he is in his contract, we've got to maximize that advantage."

In other words, the Cowboys must follow the Seattle plan. With Russell Wilson starting as a third-round rookie and never missing a game, the Seahawks won a playoff game his first season, won a Super Bowl in his second and were at the 1-yard line in search of another Lombardi Trophy in his third.

When you have a quarterback performing at a high level but making roughly $15-20 million less than his counterparts, that's the time to strike. The Cowboys did exactly that in Prescott's rookie season but took a pass last year. In fact, the last meaningful game the Cowboys played -- no, it was not the one Jason favored up in Philadelphia -- Dallas lost at home to a Seahawks team that is now starting to pull the plug on its five-year run of success.

Bennett is gone. Cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Jeremy Lane were released Friday. Safety Earl Thomas wants out and would gladly come to Dallas, but the Cowboys would have to work the offseason trade circuit which is not their strength. Still, Thomas makes more sense for the Cowboys than either cornerback, and with plenty of money to move around in the salary cap game, Thomas' $8.5 million base salary is not overly burdensome.

"It's difficult for me to put a finger on why we haven't made a trade in awhile," Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said. "It's certainly not conscientious."

Opportunities are out there. While division rivals make their moves, the Cowboys are free to join the fight.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I know why you haven't made a trade in awhile asshat, it's because you and the rest of your front office make no real effort.

Reaction score
Not going to happen because Jerry has mailed it in, and has zero fucks to give. Would you be embarrassed with that stadium?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know why you haven't made a trade in awhile asshat, it's because you and the rest of your front office make no real effort.

Maybe because they're so talent rich? I mean, do we really want to replace Jeff Heath? Think about what you're saying man......

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I am at the point where I wish Goodell could figure a way to rid us of the Jones plague. I dont care how any more, just get em the fuck out. Even if hedge fund money bought them and had no emotional attachment, they would be smart enough to know that winning increases the value of the asset.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This is what I would do based on what I think the Cowboys need.

1. Anthony Hitchens is probably gone, so don't over pay to try to keep him. Other teams have more cap space.
2. Sign Earl Thomas.
3. Restructure Bryant's contract, release or trade him.
4. Pick up a nice fat ass DT in the draft and shore up the WRs through draft and FA if possible.

Hope the rest of the defense stays healthy and we'll be ok.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score

1. Anthony Hitchens is probably gone, so don't over pay to try to keep him. Other teams have more cap space.
2. Sign Earl Thomas.
4. Pick up a nice fat ass DT in the draft and shore up the WRs through draft and FA if possible.

Here's what I would do:
1. Get rid of Jerry
2. Get rid of Stephen
3. Get rid of Charlotte
4. Get rid of Red & Bri

That would be a start. Unless you do 1-4 Hitchens, Dez, Earl Thomas dont make any real difference one way or another.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I am at the point where I wish Goodell could figure a way to rid us of the Jones plague. I dont care how any more, just get em the fuck out. Even if hedge fund money bought them and had no emotional attachment, they would be smart enough to know that winning increases the value of the asset.

Goodell hates the Cowboys, so to him having Jones there fucking shit up is perfect.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score

2. Sign Earl Thomas.

They can't just sign Earl, need to make a trade, but that is also a foreign concept.

Reaction score

2. Sign Earl Thomas.

The only logical move with Bryant is to cut him June 1st. All other plans are blinded by homerism, and don't have the franchise's best interests in mind.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They don't trade because they way overvalue their own players, and they don't sign FAs anymore because Stephen is a cheap ass.

Reaction score
They don't trade because they way overvalue their own players, and they don't sign FAs anymore because Stephen is a cheap ass.

In fairness, they do sign free agents... bottom of the barrel scrubs who often get cut mid season, but free agents nonetheless.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I agree on the first part, but the second part isn't entirely true. They will pay to keep their own guys so I don't think he's cheap.

I do think some of it is overreacting to signing too many guys to bad contracts. The right answer is to make sure you pursue the right players and pay them accordingly, not to quit pursuing players altogether.

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The only logical move with Bryant is to cut him June 1st. All other plans are blinded by homerism, and don't have the franchise's best interests in mind.

I tend to agree because I don't think that will hurt us. I just don't think he's garbage yet. But I want to see him paid for the player he is today, not yesterday. If he can't handle that then he can test the market. I think a lot of our problems last season was gameplan related. Everyone suffers as a result.

Top Bottom