Reaction score
ALERT: I'm told by sources inside the team that the Cowboys' position regarding Demarcus Lawrence is that he failed a test NOT for pot or any other illegal substance but rather due to amphetamines/meds for his back rehab.
Sources tell me the club feels good about a successful appeal.
- Mike Fisher Cowboys Insider

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wouldn't there have to be multiple failed tests to earn the suspension

Apparently not for anything deemed "PED's", which apparently amphetamines are.

I'm not aware of people using amphetamines for back injuries, but it is entirely possible he was prescribed this for something else (something like ADD). He has reportedly been attending college and trying to finish his degree this offseason.

If its legitimately prescribed (for whatever reason) I don't see how the league can suspend a player for something.

Last edited:

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
That would be very questionable prescribing.
No kidding. Why the hell would someone take amphetamines for their back rehab?

Sounds like something Fisher threw in there to make it sound more palatable to his homer flock.

Reaction score
Oh, come on, we have a sliver of hope that the DLaw thing isn't as bad as it first appeared. Let us enjoy it for a few days before cruel reality intrudes.

:swat

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No kidding. Why the hell would someone take amphetamines for their back rehab?

Sounds like something Fisher threw in there to make it sound more palatable to his homer flock.

Its not something I had heard of (I grew up working in a pharmacy and did formally intern in a pharmacy as well) but I did find this:

Summary

It is well-established within the scientific literature that amphetamine can provide an analgesic (pain killing) effect in its own right, and enhance the analgesic effects of opiate painkillers (e.g. morphine, codeine).

Recent developments in the treatment of the terminally ill suggests amphetamines may have a role to play in the management of severe pain as an adjunctive therapy, by enhancing the effects of opiates. However, this role is limited in long-term use by the high degree of tolerance and dependence which frequently develops with prolonged stimulant use.

Opiates are likely to cause drowsiness, reduced alertness and impaired cognitive function - effects which are reduced or reversed by amphetamine. The risk of respiratory depression with high doses of opiates is also reduced with amphetamine, allowing larger doses pain-relief.

The analgesic role of stimulant drugs is thought to mimic the effects during stress, where pain (e.g. from an injury) is not experienced during crises such as armed combat or other potentially life-threatening events (such effects are even reported in sporting contests).

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Amphetamines for back injuries. GTHO with that mess. The excuses that are invented and fly out of these athlete's mouths when they get busted never seem to amaze.

There are multiple ways to treat varying degrees of back injuries but never have I run across a physician that prescribed amphetamines.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Amphetamines for back injuries. GTHO with that mess. The excuses that are invented and fly out of these athlete's mouths when they get busted never seem to amaze.

There are multiple ways to treat varying degrees of back injuries but never have I run across a physician that prescribed amphetamines.

I haven't either, but it was easy to find it referenced when I searched too, so somebody is doing it.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

You aren't being treated by the "team doctor"

That's just standard practice on the Cowboys "wink wink"

Top Bottom