cockstrong

UDFA
Reaction score
if your employee was posting racist shit on Facebook and there were picketers outside your place of business, you'd sure as hell dump him

It wouldn't bother me if one of my employees was sleeping with 8 year old girls. As long as they kept the grill clean for the Big Macs

Reaction score
Plus if they get arrested or go to jail/prison, they're not able to work for you... if they're salaried, you'd have to let them go. You're not going to continue paying them while they're locked up are you?

Reaction score
I knew, how did you guys not know? The police reports were made public in 2014. He was convicted. She just refused to testify (paid off) and the case was dismissed. The Cowboys, the NFL, TMZ, everyone knew. This is why I can't figure out why everyone is acting differently now.

I'm not talking about the Zoner dummies that like to pretend like things aren't real. These facts were all out there. You just had to read about all of her bruises, described in detail, instead of now seeing the actual bruises.
The pics haven't done much to raise my ire toward him. I already realized Jerry sold out to bring in a woman-beater to try to make a run at a Super Bowl.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If they are locked up and unable to attend work that's job abandonment

So yes in that case they would lose their job

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
The pics haven't done much to raise my ire toward him. I already realized Jerry sold out to bring in a woman-beater to try to make a run at a Super Bowl.

seeing the pics would not have dissuaded Jerry, who parties with hookers, from signing him. he's in full mercenary mode.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The pics haven't done much to raise my ire toward him. I already relaized Jerry sold out to bring in a woman-beater to try to make a run at a Super Bowl.

And I'm fine with that
I don't care what type of person a player is

I only care about what type of player/team mate he is while on the field

How many of the players in the NFL are actual upstanding citizens and how many are not?

Again.......
Who cares

As long as they show up on game day

If we wanted a team full of model citizen good guy types we could stack our team with a bunch of Garret clones and call it a day

We'd never win another game

But at least we'd have a team full of "nice guys"

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
And I'm fine with that

How many of the players in the NFL are actual upstanding citizens and how many are not?

Again.......
Who cares

If we wanted a team full of model citizen good guy types we could stack our team with a bunch of Garret clones and call it a day

so you would have kept Rice after seeing the elevator video? and put up with the media shitstorm and potential loss of advertisers?

Reaction score
If they are locked up and unable to attend work that's job abandonment

So yes in that case they would lose their job
That's not how it works in the NFL. They have contracts, salaries, and guaranteed money.

Reaction score
seeing the pics would not have dissuaded Jerry, who parties with hookers, from signing him. he's in full mercenary mode.
Yep... I'm betting Jerry had a good sit down with Hardy and got the whole story, Hardy showed him some contrition, and Jerry made up his mind that the guy was so talented that he would sign him to a deal that protected the team somewhat. Then you just hope that the pics never come out. If they do, hunker down and weather the storm.

Reaction score
And I'm fine with that

Again.......
Who cares

That's just not reality.

Teams have to worry about salary caps, dead money tied up in players who go to prison, advertising, etc. They are high profile, and have to worry bout public perception.

It's different than Joe Blow small business hiring and firing truck drivers for getting arrested for domestic violence. That type of thing never hits the papers and never affects your bottom line.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If it got to a point where it effected the team and the business side of the franchise then yes

But....
In that case there was indisputable proof with the video

Reaction score
Jerry, and the NFL, saw these pictures months ago.
Really? Where did you hear that?

Not saying it matters as far as I'm concerned... but if I were them, and I knew the pics were out there, why not just "have them released?" There's a litigation theory called pricking the boil, where when you know some bad evidence is going to come out, you talk about it first and deal with it up front, instead of trying to hide it and hope it doesn't get mentioned.

If the league and team knew they were out there, maybe they should have just had them leaked when Hardy got his suspension handed down, signed his contract, etc. Perception is always worse if people think you're trying to hide evidence.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry said he didn't see the photos, and in this case he's probably telling the truth. I doubt he cared what they looked like. He just figured the guy can and so probably will play for someone, so it might as well be us.

As for the backlash, no one has dealt with that more than Jerry over the years. He knows he can deal with it, and it'll blow over at some point anyway.

And really, the "I don't care if he's an axe murderer as long as he gets sacks" attitude of the vast majority of fans shows he's right on this. I kind of expect more teams to sign troubled players because it's just bad pr, but teams can deal with that.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Good article:

Emotion And Clicks – Not Journalism – Ruling Hardy Coverage

Great journalism, among other things, is measured, fair, nuanced and loaded with context. Great journalism is not sensational.

Journalists are curious and suspicious. Like defense attorneys, journalists are oftentimes put in position where they have to explain what seems indefensible. Curiosity and suspicion caused me to look at the Duke lacrosse players (rape) and Bernie Fine (child molestation) different from some of my peers.

We’re at that point again with Greg Hardy (domestic violence). His actions a year ago are indefensible. I will not defend them.

What I will do is try to provide the necessary context so you can understand the actions of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, the NFL and the NFLPA.

Much of the alleged journalism we’re seeing in regards to Hardy is sloppy and unprofessional.

Our criminal justice system convicted Hardy of misdemeanor domestic assault charges last year, sentencing him to probation and a 60-day suspended sentence. By later having his appeal dropped and his record expunged, Hardy did not buy his way out of prison, as some have stated and/or suggested.

Becky Thorne Tin, a white North Carolina judge far more experienced at litigating domestic violence issues than members of the media, chose not to send Hardy to prison. Tin, Mecklenburg County district attorney Andrew Murray (white) and assistant district attorney Jamie Adams (black female) saw pictures of the victim’s and Hardy’s injuries, reviewed the pertinent statements and testimony and deemed the crime a misdemeanor.

Why?

Did a white woman, a white man and a black woman with deep knowledge of our criminal justice system scheme to let a hulking black man escape prison for beating “the hell” out of a white woman?

This seems unlikely inside Judge Tin’s courtroom. A magna cum laude graduate of Harvard, Judge Tin is the co-chair of her alma mater’s battered women’s advocacy project. In 2007, Judge Tin was involved in a controversial case related to domestic violence that left her, by her own admission, “traumatized.” Over the objections of 32-year-old Sonia Long, Judge Tin issued a less-restrictive restraining order against Long’s estranged husband, Anthony Long. One week later, Anthony Long murdered his wife.

Domestic violence is an issue Judge Tin likely takes more seriously than the sports writers pontificating about what Jerry Jones and the Cowboys should do with Greg Hardy.

So why did the system that specializes in handling these issues go far easier on Hardy than Roger Goodell and the NFL?

Probably because our criminal justice system deals with thousands of domestic issues annually, has a more mature perspective and doesn’t – at the moment – have to answer to the outrage media.

Hardy and his victim, Nicole Holder, did not live together at the time of the incident. Both parties reportedly drank to great excess. Holder admitted using cocaine on the night of the altercation. She also conceded hitting and/or attacking Hardy and his assistant, Sammy Curtis. She attributed the injuries on her arms to Curtis, whom she claimed forcibly carried/removed her from the tiny bedroom/office where the main incident took place. Hardy, not Holder, called police.

Reading the police reports and interviews paints a muddy picture of a highly dysfunctional relationship soaked – for at least one night – in alcohol, cocaine and mistrust. It inevitably erupted into a flurry of drunken violence that left Holder bruised and Hardy cut. A story published in the Charlotte Observer in February offered an explanation why the district attorney dropped the case rather than fight Hardy’s appeal. Holder’s lack of cooperation is far from the lone reason.

“Victims and witnesses routinely stop cooperating in domestic-abuse cases and prosecutors still take the cases to court. Murray, though, said the Hardy case was different. He also appeared to raise doubts about Holder’s credibility in a statement to the judge. But other details also raised unanswered questions about prosecutors’ handling of the case. Hardy’s defense team announced an appeal of his conviction before leaving court in July. But Murray said prosecutors only “recently” had compared what Holder told police the night of the alleged assault with her testimony at Hardy’s first trial.”

Greg Hardy has been described as a “monster” in one of this country’s most influential publications. He’s been labeled “garbage human” on TV. There are countless calls to have him removed from the NFL. Again, I’m not here to defend Hardy. His actions a year ago are unworthy of defense.

But I have also taken indefensible, violent actions in my lifetime. As a 22-year-old at Ball State University, drunk and jealous, I beat up a male student half my size inside a popular bar because I was bothered by the way he danced with a girl I liked. The next day the girl called me irate and demanding that I pay for the boy’s bloodied and torn shirt. I was mortified. I apologized profusely. I made restitution. More important, I committed to a life of non-violence. I evolved.

America is the land of second and third chances. Greg Hardy shouldn’t be allowed to play in the NFL because our courts convicted and then vacated a misdemeanor assault conviction?

Is great journalism reading through documents, cherry-picking damning information and framing those facts in the most sensational fashion? Where’s the context? Where’s the fairness? Where’s the journalistic consistency? Just five months ago, the writer responsible for this Hardy “investigation” wrote a piece exploring soccer goalie Hope Solo’s violent, criminal behavior. (Prosecutors have pursued the case without cooperation from Solo’s victims.) The article is titled “Hope Solo Is Not A Problem.” It makes the point that the NFL, the U.S. Women’s National Team and other entertainment executives are “unqualified to play judge and jury” on these issues. The writer ends the piece with these words:

“But don’t get mad over Solo playing. Sports fans long ago learned to accept our male heroes as anything but heroic. It’s time to let our women be the same.”

Are we in the media and blogosphere qualified to play judge and jury? At the moment, we’re struggling to play journalists.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
They reported months ago that the the league and the Cowboys had access to all of police reports including the photos.

On the Fox pregame this morning they said the Cowboys saw the pictures as well.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
On the Fox pregame this morning they said the Cowboys saw the pictures as well.
Really? So Jerry did lie. Not that that's a huge surprise.

Here is Jones' statement:

"While we did not have access to the photos that became public today, we were and are aware of the serious nature of this incident. We as an organization take this very seriously. We do not condone domestic violence. We entered into the agreement with Greg fully understanding that there would be scrutiny and criticism. We have given Greg a second chance. He is a member of our team and someone who is grateful for the opportunity he has been given to move forward with his life and career."

Hardy was suspended for the first four games of the season.
SHARES

Reaction score
I think the most detestable thing in this, that really hasn't been articulated that I've seen, is that Jerry is taking advantage of the situation. The girl was beaten, Hardy got suspended paid his price (whether you think that's the right punishment or not), then Jerry, knowing we needed pass rushing help, finds a guy who's obviously got talent, and thinks because of his troubles we can get him on the cheap.

That's his MO with troubled guys. TO, Pacman, Alonzo Spellman, etc. He has no problem with taking the chance to bring these guys in and try em out and if they work out, they look like a good deal, and he gets "credit" for rolling the dice and being a shrewd GM. Players getting in legal trouble is like chum in the water to our GM. If I had to say what defines Jerry as a GM -- who's a Jerry Jones type of football player -- that would be it.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think the most detestable thing in this, that really hasn't been articulated that I've seen, is that Jerry is taking advantage of the situation. The girl was beaten, Hardy got suspended paid his price (whether you think that's the right punishment or not), then Jerry, knowing we needed pass rushing help, finds a guy who's obviously got talent, and thinks because of his troubles we can get him on the cheap.

That's his MO with troubled guys. TO, Pacman, Alonzo Spellman, etc. He has no problem with taking the chance to bring these guys in and try em out and if they work out, they look like a good deal, and he gets "credit" for rolling the dice and being a shrewd GM. Players getting in legal trouble is like chum in the water to our GM. If I had to say what defines Jerry as a GM -- who's a Jerry Jones type of football player -- that would be it.

I fully expect us to bring in Justin Blackmon and/or Josh Gordon next year.

Top Bottom