SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
1. Roger- Imagine Staubach running an RPO on your ass every so often.
2. Troy- Probably the best pure passer I've ever seen.
3.Dandy Don- Hard as nails as well as a great QB
4 Danny White- Nice work when he had to sub for Roger, kept Dallas's punting job for many years , then stepped in when Roger left and did well, mostly. Also, in punt formation, had the green light if he thought a fake was good idea, Landry trusted him that much.
5. Romo-Truly gifted QB who gave me the urge to throw him into oncoming traffic too many times.

Honorable Mention- Charlie Waters.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Forgot about him (and his fumbles). I'd have him replace Walker on that list.

Murray's reputation as a fumbler comes from that crucial fumble in the playoffs against the Packers. I guess it's not how often you fumble, but when, that sticks in the mind. Murray actually had a career record of a fumble every 97.5 touches, which is very good. Compare that to Emmitt's record of a fumble every 81.8 touches (still very good). Dorsett had a fumble every 36.1 touches (surprised me how bad that is). Of course I'd still take Emmitt or Dorsett over Murray any day.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Murray's reputation as a fumbler comes from that crucial fumble in the playoffs against the Packers. I guess it's not how often you fumble, but when, that sticks in the mind. Murray actually had a career record of a fumble every 97.5 touches, which is very good. Compare that to Emmitt's record of a fumble every 81.8 touches (still very good). Dorsett had a fumble every 36.1 touches (surprised me how bad that is). Of course I'd still take Emmitt or Dorsett over Murray any day.
But when he fumbled, we almost always lost the fumble to the other team. I don't think Emmitt was that snakebit.

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
English Cowboy -- Where you been? How's life across the pond? Good to see you here again!
Well, I've been lurking, if not logging in much. I find the offseason to be bit of a drag at the best of times but even more so this time given what's going on the world at the moment. Think I've just about exhausted every old Cowboys game on YouTube now. I even watched the scab game from '87 against the Jets. Made me wonder why Kevin Sweeney didn't make anyone's top 5 Cowboys QBs. He was torching those scab Jets DBs!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But when he fumbled, we almost always lost the fumble to the other team. I don't think Emmitt was that snakebit.

Emmitt had 15 fumbles his first two yrs (not all lost) but got better afterward. He fumbled a total of 9 times the next 3 seasons combined.The worst fumble I remember off the top of my head was the Houston game in 1991, we had the game essentially won as we were deep in Houston territory, but he fumbled giving the ball back to them and they won in OT. I cant remember if the fumble came at the end of regulation or in OT but it did cost us the game.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
^ Zeke rarely got that kind of space to run through, especially last couple seasons.

I'm excited to see what the subtle changes in the blocking scheme might do for him, along with being far less predictable than Red Goober's offense.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
^ Zeke rarely got that kind of space to run through, especially last couple seasons.

I'm excited to see what the subtle changes in the blocking scheme might do for him, along with being far less predictable than Red Goober's offense.
That's also because opposing teams decided to corral Zeke and made the decision to make Dak beat them. Playoff teams made the right call when they did this. Dak was I believe 1 and 6 with 8 tds and 8 picks vs playoff teams in 2019.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
On to WRs then. I'll go:

1. Irvin
2. Pearson
3. Hayes
4. Dez
5. Tony Hill
I never saw Frank Clarke play, and he did play in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust era, but he is the only one I could argue should be on the list as opposed to Hill or Dez.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
On to WRs then. I'll go:

1. Irvin
2. Pearson
3. Hayes
4. Dez
5. Tony Hill
That's about right. TO had more raw talent than many of those guys, but he didn't play with us long enough to make the list.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No love for Jeff Ogden or Billy Davis? Chan Gailey is gonna be disappointed.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I had high, white supremacist hopes for Patrick Jeffers

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It should maybe be noted that Preston Pearson was actually the leading receiver 1977-78, although a RB while we had both Hill and Drew as well. Honorable mention for this versatile performer.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Also rans: Lance Rentzel, Butch Johnson, Kelvin Martin, Alvin Harper, Miles Austin, Cole Beasley, etc.

Imports: TO, Glenn, Renfro, KJ, etc.

Top Bottom