dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I was a little worried about this game during the week. Not so much that I thought we'd lose (though possible) but because I thought this was the classic letdown game where we let a bad team hang around and get an ugly win in the end. Huge, emotional division win the previous week, big time road game the week after against a Stealer team expected to challenge for a super bowl berth. And sandwiched in between, the o-fer 2016 Cleveland Browns. Yes they had lost every game, but they easily could have had 3 wins or so. Starting a rookie QB of their own, and he had played pretty well coming in and they were also pretty healthy (getting #1 pick WR back, acquiring highly thought of LB from Pats during week)

Needless to say the outcome was pretty impressive. The game wasn't the result of an inordinate amount of bad turnovers by the Browns (we got zero). Wasn't the result of some huge special teams plays by us (we had none). Wasn't the result of Cleveland guys falling down and giving up long, length of the field TD's (again, none). It was the result of a very solid, workman-like methodical beatdown. The run game worked. The pass game worked. The blocking was outstanding. We consistently ripped off first down after first down.

1) Really outstanding bounce back game by Prescott, after some struggles for really the first time the week before. I think he threw one bad ball all game otherwise put everything right on the money and made great decisions throwing, and a few times pulling ball down and running. His play-fakes and footwork on rollouts etc etc are outstanding. He also is one of the best players I've seen at taking the QB slide, which will definitely help prevent bigger hits. 3 tds, 0 picks, 78% comp% and a nearly perfect QBR of 97.2 (his QB rating was 141.8, which is tremendous as well)

2) Hey, we can talk about another QB. Glad we got Prescott out in a blowout game and got Sanchez in. He looked great handing off and doing the one rollout throw to Swaim for first down. Great role for him to have.

3) Also extremely pleased they got Zeke out with game well in hand. Save those excess hits for close games and the bigger games in December and January. Morris is more than capable backup. Zeke had a great game though and he continues to not only be a dominant runner but his blitz pickups are textbook every time. To me the rookie of the year discussion starts with Prescott/Elliott and pretty much ends there.

4) On the Dez stuff, he cant drop balls like that one in the middle of the field, but the refs cant keep ignoring obvious interference on him either. The one early in the game and then in the endzone were OBVIOUS PI calls that were ignored. Fortunately neither cost in the outcome, but in both games since he returned Bryant has been basically raped by opposing DB's. He also caught some heat from Garrett after one play deep down the sideline when it appeared he thought the ball was never coming to him. Prescott rolled that way though and had Bryant been going full speed, might have had a chance for a big play. He was also wide open for another score earlier in the game, but Prescott tried to get the ball to Witten (I think it was Witten, who was well covered for the one time all game). All this said, as long as teams pay a ton of attention to Bryant, it will make things easier for everyone else getting open and running the football. Everybody thinks the only things that make a player relevant are stat whore numbers, but if he only catches 1 ball every week and we still come away with 35 pts, 400+ yds and nearly 40 mins TOP, its mission accomplished.

5) Gotta hope Leary is ok for Pittsburgh. I guess he'll be going through concussion protocol, but it seemed like the run game didn't have the same lanes after he went out. Extremely underrated player that because of the cap, we are likely to lose after this season. But he has had himself a really strong year and the OL as a whole seemed to get better after he replaced Collins. Kudos to team for resisting the temptation to deal him, as he has been really good. The OL in general continued its epic season. Only one hit on QB credited to a Browns defender this week.

6) I still really wonder why we let go of Dax Swanson (didn't even keep him on PS) after the preseason he had. He was really, really good returning punts and probably could have handled kickoffs as well as 5th CB too. Lucky Whitehead has some quality talent but he makes too many mental mistakes on returns and is a hold your breath type guy everytime he runs up full speed and tries to catch one.

7) Maliek Collins finally got home on two sacks yesterday and continues to impress and get better every week. Two sacks yesterday and was pretty good vs the run too. Seems like his playing time continues to grow too. McClain continued excellent play. DE Demarcus Lawrence has so far carbon copied last yrs start to the season. He's Mr "almost sack" repeatedly, but just doesn't get home right now. Hopefully he'll have a run similar to last years 2nd half of season. Mayowa had one nice spin move, otherwise not much of anything again. Same for Jack Crawford.

8) Kudos to short handed secondary. Other than the one big play on gimmick formation opening drive, they gave up nothing downfield even though Browns WR's have some talent. Even a Jeff Heath sighting on defense actually making a good play for once.

9) Definitely seems that half way into the season, the 2016 draft for us is looking like one of those jackpot years. Zeke and Prescott alone would be huge, but then throw in Collins and Brown and its just crushing it. If Jaylon Smith makes it back all the way, this clearly could be a franchise altering EPIC offseason. It might be even if he doesn't make it back.

10) Box score admiring: US- 35 pts, 423 yards, 29 first downs, almost 40 minutes TOP. 8/12 Third Down conversions, 42 rushing attempts. NO sacks allowed, NO turnovers and only 4 penalties. THEM- only 10 pts, only 13 first downs, 1/10 Third Down conversions, 222 yards allowed, 4 sacks by our defense

11) Non Cowboy related, but was impressed with the Raiders last night. Del Rio has done a good job with them and they have some really high quality young talent. Physical OL too.

Really solid performance all the way around. Win at Pittsburgh and they tie the franchise record for most consecutive regular seasons wins in same season (8, 1977 and we won the Super Bowl that yr). Thought I read a blurb that said every season we've started 7-1 we've made the postseason.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
All this said, as long as teams pay a ton of attention to Bryant, it will make things easier for everyone else getting open and running the football. Everybody thinks the only things that make a player relevant are stat whore numbers, but if he only catches 1 ball every week and we still come away with 35 pts, 400+ yds and nearly 40 mins TOP, its mission accomplished.
This is all bullshit though, since Dak does just as well if not better when Dez is not even in the game. Note: When Dez is hurt the other teams don't give him any attention. And yet Dak's QBR is still over 100 for those games.

And if he weren't such a little fit throwing diva bitch the officials might pay a little more attention to what the defenders are doing to him instead of "ignoring" it.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This is all bullshit though, since Dak does just as well if not better when Dez is not even in the game. Note: When Dez is hurt the other teams don't give him any attention. And yet Dak's QBR is still over 100 for those games.

And if he weren't such a little fit throwing diva bitch the officials might pay a little more attention to what the defenders are doing to him instead of "ignoring" it.

Said it over and over, one of the most over rated Cowboys of all time. Not worth close to what they are paying him. They should have franchised him. Probably only get more brittle as we go forward.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Yesterday was statistically the best game of the season for Prescott though. Highest QB rating (141.8), 2nd highest QBR, 2nd highest comp %, 3 tds and zero picks.

And Mr Witten hasn't seen open spaces like what he saw yesterday to run through in a couple or three years.

Prescott played extremely well with Bryant out no doubt. But he's going to play even better with him out there, and yesterday was proof of that.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Said it over and over, one of the most over rated Cowboys of all time. Not worth close to what they are paying him. They should have franchised him. Probably only get more brittle as we go forward.

Wasn't he liked the 2nd or 3rd fastest WR to 60 tds?

And there was nothing overrated about his seasons in 2012/2013/2014. Around 270 receptions, about 4000 yds, about 15.0 yds a catch and 41 tds.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Were you saying this in the Eagles' game? We don't win that game without Dez.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Were you saying this in the Eagles' game? We don't win that game without Dez.

Four catches in Fourteen targets was the difference in that game? I know Dak was bad that game but I see forcing Dez the ball as being a huge problem for this offense. Dak functions a whole lot better when he throws to the open man. How many games did they win when Dez was hurt AGAIN? If memory serves it was all of em.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Four catches in Fourteen targets was the difference in that game? I know Dak was bad that game but I see forcing Dez the ball as being a huge problem for this offense. Dak functions a whole lot better when he throws to the open man. How many games did they win when Dez was hurt AGAIN? If memory serves it was all of em.

He didn't force him the ball in the Eagles game. Most of the plays Dez was targeted on he was open, but Prescott had 2 quarters+ of missing badly.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He didn't force him the ball in the Eagles game.

You stick to your opinion and I'll stick to mine. On those 10 incompletions where I think the ball was forced to Dez, if they had thrown it anywhere else they probably get positive yards on at least five of em and would have made a big difference in the game. Isnt a coincidence that they didnt do that this week and the offensive flow was a lot smoother, and yes I am taking into account the Browns are complete shit. I am not buying what you are selling.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yesterday was statistically the best game of the season for Prescott though. Highest QB rating (141.8), 2nd highest QBR, 2nd highest comp %, 3 tds and zero picks.

And Mr Witten hasn't seen open spaces like what he saw yesterday to run through in a couple or three years.

Prescott played extremely well with Bryant out no doubt. But he's going to play even better with him out there, and yesterday was proof of that.
Pfft. Lemme see it. The fucker drops passes. He fucking sucks.

Reaction score
Yeah I posted in the game thread that I remembered when Dez was good. Sadly, for whatever reason, he's not even good anymore. I don't know what the fuck he is.

He doesn't play hard. He doesn't run all routes. He doesn't make the challenging circus catches he used to. He's easily taken out of the games. Every non-catch he whines for a flag. It's ridiculous.

Reaction score
Also lol he literally gets double teamed in the redzone( people use that phrase when they don't know what it means, single John safety isn't a double team)

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
1) Really outstanding bounce back game by Prescott, after some struggles for really the first time the week before. I think he threw one bad ball all game otherwise put everything right on the money and made great decisions throwing, and a few times pulling ball down and running. His play-fakes and footwork on rollouts etc etc are outstanding. He also is one of the best players I've seen at taking the QB slide, which will definitely help prevent bigger hits. 3 tds, 0 picks, 78% comp% and a nearly perfect QBR of 97.2 (his QB rating was 141.8, which is tremendous as well)

3) Also extremely pleased they got Zeke out with game well in hand. Save those excess hits for close games and the bigger games in December and January. Morris is more than capable backup. Zeke had a great game though and he continues to not only be a dominant runner but his blitz pickups are textbook every time. To me the rookie of the year discussion starts with Prescott/Elliott and pretty much ends there.

At this rate I think they both have to be considered for Co-Rookie of the Year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You stick to your opinion and I'll stick to mine. On those 10 incompletions where I think the ball was forced to Dez, if they had thrown it anywhere else they probably get positive yards on at least five of em and would have made a big difference in the game. Isnt a coincidence that they didnt do that this week and the offensive flow was a lot smoother, and yes I am taking into account the Browns are complete shit. I am not buying what you are selling.

So when he gets open and either doesn't get the ball thrown his way or does and its uncatchable, that's his fault too correct?

Reaction score
4) On the Dez stuff, he cant drop balls like that one in the middle of the field, but the refs cant keep ignoring obvious interference on him either. The one early in the game and then in the endzone were OBVIOUS PI calls that were ignored. Fortunately neither cost in the outcome, but in both games since he returned Bryant has been basically raped by opposing DB's. He also caught some heat from Garrett after one play deep down the sideline when it appeared he thought the ball was never coming to him. Prescott rolled that way though and had Bryant been going full speed, might have had a chance for a big play. He was also wide open for another score earlier in the game, but Prescott tried to get the ball to Witten (I think it was Witten, who was well covered for the one time all game). All this said, as long as teams pay a ton of attention to Bryant, it will make things easier for everyone else getting open and running the football. Everybody thinks the only things that make a player relevant are stat whore numbers, but if he only catches 1 ball every week and we still come away with 35 pts, 400+ yds and nearly 40 mins TOP, its mission accomplished.

Just like play action, the decoy is meaningless unless there is a viable threat. I would rather Dez have the ball than not have the ball because of how violently he runs. My perspective on the Eagle game was he was not open and Dak was following the play and forcing the ball. Dez didn't look open to me in those situations but then: "What is open?" Romo routinely throws to Dez with guys draped all over him. You would not call that open but it works. The times I see Dez actually open are more the plays right off the LOS. Dez as a decoy downfield? Maybe. Dez as a punishing possession WR? Better use of having Dez on the team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Just like play action, the decoy is meaningless unless there is a viable threat. I would rather Dez have the ball than not have the ball because of how violently he runs. My perspective on the Eagle game was he was not open and Dak was following the play and forcing the ball. Dez didn't look open to me in those situations but then: "What is open?" Romo routinely throws to Dez with guys draped all over him. You would not call that open but it works. The times I see Dez actually open are more the plays right off the LOS. Dez as a decoy downfield? Maybe. Dez as a punishing possession WR? Better use of having Dez on the team.

Dez was wide open for a gimmee TD inside the 10 and Prescott's pass was underthrown badly. He was also wide open on another play deep downfield (probably another TD, but at the least another very long gain) but the ball was underthrown badly towards the middle of the field.

Those were the two just right off the top of my head where he was open as much as somebody could hope to be on those routes. The ball certainly wasn't incomplete because it was "forced" to him. He was wide open.

Top Bottom