bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
FTW_DallasCowboysOTA7.jpg

The best move made by Dallas Cowboys rookie defensive tackle Trysten Hill this entire season is falling asleep when Basketball Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas talked to the team.

There is no bigger fraud in basketball than Isiah, a guy who despite his talent alienated the NBA’s best players to the point he was excluded from the original Dream Team, drove the CBA into bankruptcy, was a flop as an NBA head coach, and a human disaster as the GM of the New York Knicks.

The only reason for Isiah should have been asked to talk to the Cowboys is to stress the importance of befriending the uber wealthy, namely New York Knicks owner James Dolan.

Feel free to knock Hill for everything else during a rookie season that is actually going worse than how it began, which is an accomplishment itself.

No second round draft pick can be labeled a “bust,” but what Hill is doing is proving that he was a reach. Hill is the case study of why teams, on draft day, should never try to accommodate a position coach or coordinator.

This is now two high picks spent on defensive linemen that went bust, or are at least trending south; the Cowboys cut 2017 first round pick Taco Charlton earlier this season, and he signed with the Miami Dolphins.

Hill should never have been selected in the second round, but defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli wants/loves/needs three-technique defensive tackles.

Marinelli’s scheme excels when he has an interior defensive tackle who can rush the passer from the inside, and create hell for a center and guard. The kind of guy he had in Warren Sapp, or Tommie Harris.

Since Marinelli arrived to the Cowboys in January of ‘14, he has had good defensive lineman. He has not had an interior lineman who can do what he desires, which is to chase the quarterback straight up the middle.

At 6-foot-3, 308 pounds, Hill has the right frame, but he does not have the proper game.

If you want to feel worse about this, six spots after the Cowboys selected Hill with the 58th overall pick, the Seattle Seahawks chose Ole Miss receiver DK Metcalf. Metcalf has 29 receptions for 525 yards and five touchdowns this season.

Writing off Hill is premature, but he has that look of a player the team will simply dump.

He was inactive in Week 1, which he did not even know was a possibility. Pretty sure he knows now that he’s been inactive an additional three games, and has seen his snap count steadily decrease.

Hill was sent home after being late to a meeting last week.

He has recorded one tackle in four games.

When veteran defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford was placed on injured reserve in mid October, that was the door Hill needed. He closed it.

The Cowboys traded a seventh round pick to the New England Patriots in exchange for linemen Michael Bennett for a reason.

The Cowboys invested a second-round pick on Hill, and they like him because he is a nice kid. People want to see nice young guys do well.

Other than falling asleep when Isiah Thomas talked, Trysten Hill is not doing well. Of course, neither are the majority of the Cowboys’ rookies this season.

He can’t be a bust, but he is just another reach.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article237076219.html#storylink=cpy

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
glad someone in the building said fuck this and traded a 6th/7th for their coveted DT

kwcoolk619

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I wondered about drafting Hill. I did not get it. Maybe he is not ready mentally and emotionally. Time will tell.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Supposedly Mickey said he barely made the plane to NY last week. Maybe Taco needs a room mate in Miami. This draft starting to look like 2009 and 1995 all over again.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Stop listening to Marinelli.

Hated this pick from day one. Had UCF and Nebraska coaches say this kid was an issue, talked to scouts from 2 teams who had Day 3 grades on him, and one of my former players did pre-draft preparation with him in Orlando and said he is soft and lazy ( and I feel my former player can be soft and lazy, so to me, this is huge coming from him). I'm sure if I was posting her around draft time, dbair1967 would have been defending this pick.

Hate, hate, hated this pick.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Stop listening to Marinelli.

Hated this pick from day one. Had UCF and Nebraska coaches say this kid was an issue, talked to scouts from 2 teams who had Day 3 grades on him, and one of my former players did pre-draft preparation with him in Orlando and said he is soft and lazy ( and I feel my former player can be soft and lazy, so to me, this is huge coming from him). I'm sure if I was posting her around draft time, dbair1967 would have been defending this pick.

Hate, hate, hated this pick.

Yeah, certainly looks like a totally blown pick.

And we got nothing from the Taco pick either, so that's two premium selections that Marinelli reportedly had a direct hand in, and both were busts for us. Although supposedly Richard blessed the Hill pick too.

Really excited for the day when there are no Garrett's, Marinelli's or Richards here.,

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I was hoping they would pick DK Metcalf when he fell to us. Or WR Isabella. If they weren't going to take a safety either one of those two were better picks than this fat guy Hill. I realize Dallas was good at WR and could understand a safety. But this guy? What did they think he was going to do?

tommyajar

Spectator
Reaction score
They could have had a choice of several very high ranked Safeties when they were on the clock in the 2nd rd & chose to pass it up! Now it is hard to get on the Cowboys for draft choices the last 5+ years or so, but this will definitely come back to bite them! The only other real terrible draft pick I can remember was Taco! I was hoping & praying they would draft Watt, who was available when they were picking, but chose Taco b/c Watt was more of a 3-4 defense type player, according to the Cowboys! Not cool man! Could you imagine Watt in this defense right now.......wowza!

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Dude, me and you both. To think Dallas could have Watt and Thornhill, DK, Metcalf or Isabella over Taco and Hill is just depressing. The worst part about it was they were the clear choices over Taco and Hill. But it's not like we could pay everyone.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Did we ever hear what grade our scouts had on this numbskull, not what Marinelli thought. He still hasn't figured that to be a teams top draft pick and be inactive week after week isn't normal.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Did we ever hear what grade our scouts had on this numbskull, not what Marinelli thought. He still hasn't figured that to be a teams top draft pick and be inactive week after week isn't normal.

I think I remember after we drafted him Broaddus said 3rd/4th round.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
People in the room wanted TJ Watt over Taco, and Juan Thornhill over Trysten Hill. Jerry should promote those people (assuming they were the same people in both debates) and fire the people who pushed Taco/Trysten.

Imagine this defense with TJ Watt playing opposite of Tank, and Thornhill playing over The Fan Boys Hero aka Jeff Heath? Watt is an MVP candidate and Thornhill has been very solid this year as a rookie starter.

I mean, we'd still be mediocre because of Garrett and all, but at least we'd have two less holes on the defense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
People in the room wanted TJ Watt over Taco, and Juan Thornhill over Trysten Hill. Jerry should promote those people (assuming they were the same people in both debates) and fire the people who pushed Taco/Trysten.

Imagine this defense with TJ Watt playing opposite of Tank, and Thornhill playing over The Fan Boys Hero aka Jeff Heath? Watt is an MVP candidate and Thornhill has been very solid this year as a rookie starter.

I mean, we'd still be mediocre because of Garrett and all, but at least we'd have two less holes on the defense.
I think Jerruh overrides some favored picks, for players with a "story" like Taco and some others. He's got to for whatever reason prove he's a SJW.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think Jerruh overrides some favored picks, for players with a "story" like Taco and some others. He's got to for whatever reason prove he's a SJW.
Allegedly, we were 50/50 on Taco vs Watt, so yes, Jerry probably broke the tie.

I don't know what the ratio was for Thornhill vs Trysten. I do know Jerry wants desperately to appear to be a clever football guy and had instructed his scouts to "find guys no one is talking about so I look smart" a few years back. You want all the glory for being the self-appointed GM, so he should absolutely take the blame for those disastrous picks.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I doubt he's ever taken any blame for anything. He can't DIE fast enough to suit me. Really.

Azznbad

Spectator
Reaction score
Hills falling asleep in meetings says a lot about him as a person and those type players or employees every business needs to avoid. My comment though is about the imlatients of not only fans but also teams on young players
It wasn't until the salary cap era that even first round players were automatically expected to play and even start as rookies. The collective bargain agreement and salary structures have forced teams to play players much more quickly than in the past and has fans expected high picks to step on the field in their first year and be world killers. The reason veterans got the nod in the past is teams didnt want to give OJT a chance to cost them games. People forget that there was some questions among fans as to whether or no Sean Lee was a bust during his first year. The fact Hill isnt playing doesnt bother me that much it's self. The character problems are very concerning, but if it had not been for pure talent the character of Dez Bryant would have sent him down the road after his rookie contract was up.
Back in the bad old days when players made squat, character wasnt an issue because they would just run the player and move on, or they ignored of field issues until it affected their play. Remember Hollywood, Duane Thomas, and the coke head teams of the 70s?
Hill needs to grow up and grow up in a hurry the way Zeak had to do as a human after his first couple of years. Half way through his first year isnt time to give up Hill, but someone needs to get in his ear and scream WAKE UP. If he still isnt suiting up half way through his second year its time to cut your losses.
In the bigger picture the NFLPA needs to negociate a deal that takes care of the players in the league rather than draftees. Long time useable players are cut every year now because teams get stuck with kids like Hill. The salary structure favors keeping questionable young players over decent vets to stay under the cap and that needs to be changed.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Jerry doesn't have jack shit to do with drafting anymore, the Johnny Manziel era never starting here is 100% proof of that.

Rod talked Garrett, the scouts and McClay into Taco, and both Marinelli and Richard were "pounding the table" for Hill.

Top Bottom