Reaction score
Cowboys RB Gus Johnson separates shoulder, status unclear​

Dallas Cowboys running back Gus Johnson separated the AC joint in his shoulder on Thursday night and his status for the future is unclear.

Leading up to the point of injury in the preseason game against the San Diego Chargers, the undrafted rookie out of SFA had 13 carries for 35 yards including a five-yard touchdown. Check that nice run out in the video embedded below.

[video]https://vine.co/v/edQYIZxii7i[/video]​

Johnson's injury came early in the third quarter on a one-yard run up the middle. With a separated shoulder, Johnson's health forecast is cloudy. He could be out for the year, but remains optimistic.

"'It'll be fine," Johnson said, via Cowboys insider Mike Fisher. "I don't plan on missing any time."

The Cowboys still have Lache Seastrunk on the roster to try and compete for the short-yardage role. Running backs Joseph Randle, Darren McFadden, and Lance Dunbar should all be back for the next preseason game on Aug. 23.

There's still no reason for the Cowboys to sign a veteran running back at this point. They may go after a back-end/short-yardage guy, but the injury to Johnson does not equate to the need for a veteran running back like Ray Rice or Steven Jackson. The Cowboys see McFadden's return on Saturday as a boost.

http://dal.247sports.com/Bolt/Cowboys-RB-Gus-Johnson-separates-shoulder-status-unclear-38732191/

Last edited:
Reaction score
It was later revealed that he had an AC joint separation and appears to be done for the year.

Reaction score
Done for the year? I heard an extended period of time but done for the year is not good, considering all the hype he was getting in the first week. Poor guy... not good news.

Reaction score
Not done for the year

@toddarcher: Told Gus Johnson will b kept out of contact in practice because of shoulder. Could go through individual work, might be a go vs. San Fran.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Is this the same injury Emmitt had vs. the Giants where he then took over the game?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Is this the same injury Emmitt had vs. the Giants where he then took over the game?

Possibly. I believe Emmitt's was more sever in that it required surgery, and had Emmitt opted for surgery right then, his season would have been done, and the Cowboys do not win that Super Bowl. So he opted for surgery after the season.

Top Bottom