Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Holy shit we gave up next year's 4th round pick for Trey Lance. QB outta San Fran who was drafted third overall but couldn't make that team this year.

I just saw that

What in the actual fuck?!?!?!?

I wouldn’t give up a 7th rounder for him!
We have much larger needs than a third string QB

AND we are giving up a fourth round pick for someone who couldn’t even make the team

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The sad part is that I saw the Niners were shopping Trey around for a possible trade and I immediately thought to myself what team would be dumb enough to give up draft capital for a busted high first round pick who can’t even land a backup spot on his current team?

Now I know which team was stupid enough to do so

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'm not gonna complain, it's only a 4th round pick. Annnnd we won't have to pay him. And Dak just put on notice - his job might not be safe.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I'm not gonna complain, it's only a 4th round pick. Annnnd we won't have to pay him. And Dak just put on notice - his job might not be safe.

Trey Lance ain’t threatening Dak’s job in any possible way.

Just like he didn’t threaten Mr Irrelevant or Sam Darnolds jobs

The only thing Trey is threatening is Will Grier and his emergency 3rd QB game day spot.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Trey Lance ain’t threatening Dak’s job in any possible way.

Just like he didn’t threaten Mr Irrelevant or Sam Darnolds jobs

The only thing Trey is threatening is Will Grier and his emergency 3rd QB game day spot.
Lance has some skills. We had him projected as a 2nd round pick. I'm not sure that SF coaching is really all that great. What exactly have they actually done over there? I'm reserving judgement.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Holy shit we gave up next year's 4th round pick for Trey Lance. QB outta San Fran who was drafted third overall but couldn't make that team this year.
So we are using a 4th round pick, but PAYING top 5 money?

Last year, the guy I kept taking, when I did my mocks, was Purdy. This year one of the guys was Aidan O'Connell. There was another one or two that I would try to take, but their names escapes me (maybe the kid from Stanford).

So at 129. we took Viliami Fehoko Jr., who the guys on The Break were saying could be a cut.

At 135 The Raiders took O'Connell.

I'm not saying O'Connell is the next Dak, or Brady, or whoever, but he has been doing well, and could likely have beaten out Rush.

So we would have been paying 4th round money for a 4th round pick. Instead of paying top 5 money.

I truly do not understand why this team won't take a QB in rounds 3 to 5.

The point is, why do we not draft a QB every year?

I don't know the details of the trade, but I hope we didn't just help out San Fran's salary cap.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I'll further add that we shouldn't pay the salary for the 3rd player selected in the draft to have him be the 3rd string QB. He has to be number 2. He has to be developed. There has to be hope that we can use him as leverage for when Dak comes with his hand stretched out again.

IMHO, paying the salary of the 3rd player drafted to put him behind Cooper Rush is damn idiotic!

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
There has to be hope that we can use him as leverage for when Dak comes with his hand stretched out again.
If we don't get anything done this year I seriously don't see us giving him a big extension.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I don't know what we're paying him.
I hope we negotiated something where San Fran is still paying part of the salary. I hope it's not a situation where we absorb the contract.

Jerry is pretty good with numbers, so I'm hopeful.

RogtaDru

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Yeah,
From the risk reward angle, giving up a single 4th round pick is nothing.
All ya gotta do is look at the mostly wasted 2nd round character and injury risks over the last 2 plus decades.
A 4th rounder from that perspective is no big deal.

The "what if" he develops into something reward far outweighs the 4th rd pick risk in this case.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thought that given that he was playing with backups that Will Grier was doing a decent job?

Grier's dead cap is ZERO, so he is GONE!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Its an extremely low risk, potentially high upside move.

Everyone knew they wanted to draft a QB this past yr and weren't able to do it. He's been a huge disappointment in SF but that's in large part because the Niners made one of the dumbest trades in NFL history to move up for him. (three 1sts and a 3rd I believe).

He's big (6'4, 225lbs) and has a real cannon for an arm, probably the strongest arm of any QB we have had in a long time. His one full yr of starting in college he ran for over 1000 yards and had 28 tds with ZERO ints and they won their national championship. N Dakota St does have a solid football program.

I'm not saying it will work, odds are it might not. But we have the guy under a reasonable contract for 2 more seasons (3 if they exercise the 5th yr option) and at least have a talented guy that could at least push for the #2 job, and maybe he shows enough to let them walk away from Prescott after another season or two.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I just saw that

What in the actual fuck?!?!?!?

I wouldn’t give up a 7th rounder for him!
We have much larger needs than a third string QB

AND we are giving up a fourth round pick for someone who couldn’t even make the team
We werent the only team trying to trade for him Amigo. The Vikings were trying to get him during this last draft and according to reports last night, the Bills and Ravens made offers the same day we did.

Not sure why you are getting your panties in a wad. It's a 4th rd pick for a QB with physical upside.

Top Bottom