Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Just to be clear, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones didn't really criticize Morris Claiborne hours before the demoted cornerback’s hasty departure from the team facility.

Jones acknowledged the painfully obvious about as delicately as possible.

"Is he what we had hoped for at this point when we drafted him with the sixth overall pick, giving up the [second-round] pick to go up to the sixth pick to get him? No," Jones said in a radio interview on 105.3 The Fan. "But he's going to be a good player."

That's an awfully optimistic view of a third-year cornerback who has been picked on consistently throughout his career. Of course, it’s coming from the same mouth that declared that Claiborne was the Cowboys’ top-graded cornerback draft prospect since Deion Sanders when they made the bold move to trade up for him.

If Jones wanted to criticize Claiborne, he could have called him the biggest bust in Cowboys’ history. That’s a brutally honest view of a sixth overall pick who isn’t one of the top three corners on a defense that was the NFL’s worst last season.

If Claiborne is upset that he’s being replaced in the base defense by Orlando Scandrick, for the second straight season, he’s simply delusional. Sterling Moore, an undrafted player who was unemployed for several weeks last season after being cut by the Cowboys in late August, should be the Cowboys’ third corner based on merit.

That’s pretty pathetic for a player the Cowboys projected to be a perennial Pro Bowler.

The Cowboys keep trying to pump up Claiborne. They heaped praise on him during training camp until he got hurt for the third straight summer, going out of their way to massage an ego even more fragile than his body. Head coach Jason Garrett politely referred to Claiborne as a “developing player” last week when asked to assess the cornerback’s development relative to expectations when Dallas made the draft-night deal with the St. Louis Rams.

The reality is that Claiborne, whose game-sealing pick of an overthrown pass in Sunday's win over the Rams doesn't erase the fact that he got torched all day, appears to be regressing. ProFootballFocus.com’s grades ranked him 80th among cornerbacks as a rookie, 88th last season and 91st through the first three games this season.

There have been many Cowboys first-round picks who have been huge disappointments. Many fans begin that list with Bill Parcells’ hand-picked linebacker, Bobby Carpenter, an 18th overall pick. But the price has never been as high for a bust as it was with Claiborne, who cost the Cowboys picks that turned into solid defensive tackle Michael Brockers and Pro Bowl receiver Alshon Jeffery.

That makes Claiborne the biggest bust in Cowboys history. Handling this demotion by leaving the facility in a huff only adds to it.

That’s the painful truth, whether Claiborne can handle it or not.

Reaction score
I'm no fan of Mo, but it was Jerry and company who decided to put too many chips on the table as they gambled on Claiborne.

Claiborne isn't a great player, but it isn't his fault that Jerry and company misappropriated a 1st and 2nd draft choice on an underwhelming player.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No question based on where he was drafted, he's the biggest bust in team history now.

I was looking over the rest of the players we chose in extremely high draft positions (I just used top-12) and the only guys I see on the list even close would be Danny Noonan, who was picked 12th overall and maybe Craig Morton, although he did QB us to the super bowl and a couple of playoff berths before he was traded (that pick was ultimately Randy White). The others we picked top-12 were:

Bob Lilly, Lee Roy Jordan, John Niland, Too Tall Jones, Randy White, Tony Dorsett, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Russell Maryland, Greg Ellis, Roy Williams, Terence Newman, Demarcus Ware & Tyron Smith.

Of all these guys we picked top-12, I think the only two to never play in a pro bowl were Noonan and Claiborne. A lot of them were Hall of Famers. Claiborne is by far the worst of these.

Reaction score
Yeah, as things stand today, Noonan is the only one who comes close.

Craig Morton was a very good pick in my opinion. He was neck and neck with Staubach for a good while. Morton's NFL career lasted 18 years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't remember seeing Morton until he was with Denver and we clobbered them twice in 1977

But despite being surrounded by gobs of talent (both sides of the ball) his passing numbers were never that good in Dallas.

I think we were EXTREMELY fortunate to get the deal we got with the NYG (where by the way, he was awful)

Reaction score
Morton was really good ... particularly before a (right) shoulder surgery. He was no Staubach, but few were/are.

The Giants sucked mightily when Morton arrived ... no QB would have had much chance of success there in those days.

One unusual aspect of the trade that sent Morton to NY .... it happened several games into the season. It was a mid-season trade, basically.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Claiborne biggest bust in Cowboys history
Yeah this is total bullshit. I measured them, in Canton and Bob Lilly's bust there is by far Dallas' biggest one.

I didn't see Claiborne's bust there. Oh yeah that's right - and won't ever see it.

bvhawkeye

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He's been bad so far, but the biggest bust in franchise history? Nope, won't go that far. He still has a chance to prove himself too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He's been bad so far, but the biggest bust in franchise history? Nope, won't go that far. He still has a chance to prove himself too.

Based on how high he was picked alone, he's certainly the worst guy we've picked. Then when you factor in that we also gave up the 2nd to move up and get him, its even more damning.

I was one of those that really liked the pick and the move (because to trade up as far as we did for the cost was a bargain) but he has been a major let down.

Top Bottom