Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Kyle Orton to Bills: Latest Contract Details, Analysis and Reaction | Bleacher Report

The Bills have been looking for a veteran quarterback to fill the mentor role behind second-year starter E.J. Manuel, and Friday's move is the latest of many moves in that regard. Buffalo signed veteran and former Chicago Bear Jordan Palmer this week, but the team released him on Friday after just a few days of being on the roster. Thad Lewis was also released this week.

As the preseason concluded, it became apparent that the Bills were seeking an established backup to play in front of Jeff Tuel. Orton appears to be the answer.

NFL.com's Chris Trapasso noticed the signing was on par with indications from head coach Doug Marrone and company:

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
What the fuck. Kyle fucking Orton can just bully us around and steal 3 million dollars? This is your fucking job Jerry, not fucking up my football team. C'mon mister businessman.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Orton wanted more money than we were willing to pay. Obviously buffalo thought he was worth more. But agreed...Jerry is supposed to be a great business man, yet there are tons of bad contracts, trades, etc.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Reports actually are, Orton WAS planning to show up to camp but Dallas got impatient and cut him outta nowhere.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
No. What happened was he asked for more money, because he said he'd be starting a few games on account of Romo's back. Stephen basically said "fuck you." My buddy works at Valley Ranch. He never wanted to retire.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But...but he wanted to retire. ok, whatevs
Oh thanks i forgot about this.

The story goes he decided he wanted to be a starter and knew that wasn't happening in Dallas. So he floated the "retirement" rumor, then failed to show up for the voluntary workouts, then the mandatory ones. But, he had by now decided to report, but they cut him outright.

Kyle Orton Overreaction: Why You Shouldn't Read Too Much In His Shuffle Off To Buffalo - Blogging The Boys

Why he chose to float the talk about retirement is a little hard to figure out, but from day one of OTAs, it was clear he was doing everything he could to get cut by the team without having to give up millions of dollars in guaranteed money. Sitting out all of the voluntary activities, and then staying away for the mandatory minicamp, made him a hard commodity to trade. This may have been part of the whole idea as well, since he probably preferred to have more control over where he could eventually play than he would if traded. When things got to the point he really couldn't hold out anymore, he started preparing to show up in camp. By then, however, there had to be some rather large doubts growing about just how much the Cowboys could depend on him, and the team decided to cut him loose and concentrate on Brandon Weeden, while using his roster spot to look at someone who actually wanted to play for Dallas.

With the number of NFL teams who lack a quality starting quarterback, the numbers game was now in Orton's favor. It is not surprising that he just signed a deal, since the whole bet he made on being able to find a new team was based on at least one of the franchises finding itself in fairly desperate straits as the start of the season loomed. Buffalo certainly fit that bill (yes, I know what I did there) and Orton got his shot.
So I definitely don't blame Dallas for cutting him, and as i originally thought and said, no doubt his desire to start gave his agent the impetus to advise him to do what he did.

Time wasn't on his side, by the time he had a shot at starting in Dallas he would be too old.

Top Bottom