Reaction score
Top needs: DE, DT, S, G, WR

Round 1 (16) DT Aaron Donald, Pittsburgh
Round 2 (47) G Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA
Round 3 (78) DT Will Sutton, Arizona St.

Analysis: I don't think Dallas can do enough to upgrade along the defensive line. Donald getting past the Bears at No. 14 is a surprise, and I draft him here with the belief that he can come in and start right away. He was the most disruptive defensive player in college football last year. Brent Urban is a tempting player at No. 47, but Su'a-Filo, who can start as a rookie at guard, a position of need, is the pick. In Round 3, I'm going back to the defensive line. Before his senior season, I wouldn't have thought Sutton could fall this far, but he didn't look as explosive in 2013 and lost some ground. Given that the anchor of the interior defensive line is Henry Melton, who's coming off knee injury rehab, adding depth and upside has to be a priority.

Reaction score
Analyzing Kiper's Grade A draft: Cowboys

By Todd Archer

The Dallas Cowboys need defense and a lot of it after what happened in 2013. They have signed three defensive linemen in free agency, but they are not the complete solution for a turnaround in 2014.

In Mel Kiper Jr.’s Grade A draft, he serves as the Cowboys' general manager, which some of you might like with your feelings for Jerry Jones. In it, Kiper understands just how far the Cowboys have to go on the defensive side of the ball.

Who is GM Kiper picking for the Cowboys?

Despite adding Henry Melton in free agency, Kiper selected Pitt defensive tackle Aaron Donald at No. 16 overall. There might be some overlap between Melton and Donald because they play the 3-technique, but Melton is basically on a one-year deal. If he does not play at a high level, the Cowboys are not likely to trigger the option on the deal to kick in the final three years of the contract.

The Cowboys have liked Donald from the beginning. He showed up well at the Senior Bowl. He tested well at the NFL scouting combine. He seems to be the perfect fit for Rod Marinelli’s defense.

In the second round, Kiper went with UCLA guard Xavier Su’a-Filo, another good pick because he fills a need and brings an attitude to the line. He will not be under pressure to play right away, but he will push last year’s starters Ronald Leary and Mackenzy Bernadeau. The Cowboys have hit on their last two offensive line picks in Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick. Su’a-Filo could be another building block.

Kiper stayed in the trenches in the third round with Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton. If Sutton is a 3-technique, then maybe this is a little overkill. He was too heavy for his final year at Arizona State but has slimmed down leading up to the draft. He has pass-rush ability, which is a must for any high pick under Marinelli. He could be a situational interior rusher for the Cowboys in 2014 and grow into a role in 2015 and beyond.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I wouldn't be shocked if we drafted Donald either. This team is full of surprises. Donalds a good prospect but we did sign Melton and according to reports he'll be fine from this injury.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'd be thrilled with that draft.

Instead we will draft:
Round 1 Teddy Bridgewater
Round 2 Troy Niklaus
Round 3 Division 3 guy

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah... I'm not sold on that. With Melton signed and Donald drafted I think I'd pass on Sutton, he looked like crap with the extra weight.

I'm not either. Think of your classic 3 and 1 techniques... They aren't interchangeable at all.

At least not if you want them to be any good.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Kiper is terrible about projecting the right players to the right teams.

Top Bottom