dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Scout's Eye: Cowboys-Bills review

November, 15, 2011
By Bryan Broaddus

Jason Garrett has received much criticism for his play calling this season. In my view, not all of it has been fair because of the poor execution of the offense at times.

Garrett has struggled the most in the red zone, but on Sunday against the Bills, every play that he dialed up on his call sheet seemed to work just fine.

The DeMarco Murray Effect
I mentioned on 103.3 FM ESPN that not only has DeMarco Murray made this offensive line better, he has helped Tony Romo and made Jason Garrett a better play caller. The goal of any offensive coordinator is to stay ahead of the chains, no negative plays. Murray has allowed Garrett to calls plays at manageable downs and distances.

When you now study the Cowboys on offense, you do see the same plays: the draw, toss, and power. Garrett and this staff are running the same plays, they just have a back that is doing a better job of using his patience, vision and power to finish runs.

There are still plenty of times where Montrae Holland misses when he pulls or Phil Costa gets over powered on the front side or Tyron Smith doesn’t quite get his head across the man on the backside. Murray’s running style helps this offensive line when things aren’t exactly blocked well or clean.

Something that I also want to point out about Murray that others have failed to mention is his ability as a pass protector. I counted three different times where Murray was asked to pick up a blitzing linebacker and all three times he was a square protector that did his job with solid skill and technique. One of the biggest things you worry about with rookie running backs is their ability to pass protect, but what you really worry about the most is their ability to block the right guy. Murray had no problem doing this.

Great grab: WR Robinson continues to impress
When the Cowboys signed wide receiver Laurent Robinson before the start of the season, I can honestly say that I didn’t know much about his game or what he could have brought to the team. Robinson has been more than just a reliable third receiver. He functions well as the No. 2 guy.

Robinson has come in, learned the playbook and been super productive. Robinson runs nice routes and adjusts well to the ball on the move. More importantly, he has become a target that the quarterback feels very comfortable throwing the ball to in any situation.

On his first of his two touchdowns against the Bills, the Cowboys go empty formation with three wide receivers and two tight ends. Jason Witten is lined up in line to the left, Martellus Bennett in line to the right. Dez Bryant is lined up wide right with Kevin Ogletree slot left and Robinson wide left. Romo is lined up in the shotgun, and by the alignment of the Bills defense, he knows that he is going to get pressure from his left side.

At the snap, Robinson is met two yards deep in the end zone by cornerback Drayton Florence, who carries Robinson deep into the end zone. Robinson feels himself getting cut off in route by Florence. Robinson, running hard to his left, stops after seeing that Romo has now rolled to his side. Robinson shifts his weight, and comes back to the right. Florence loses Robinson on the adjustment, allowing Robinson to gain space in the back of the end zone.

In the blocking scheme up front for the Cowboys, Witten is staying in to block, but it looks like he doesn’t slide down inside with Free to pick up the safety Bryan Scott. Instead he is blocking on the outside on linebacker Arthur Moats. Scott now has a free run at Romo, who sees what is happening and spins to his left out of the pressure. Romo is able to square his shoulders and deliver the ball to Robinson in the back corner of the end zone with no one around him.

Nice adjust by Robinson, great read from Romo and the first of two touchdowns for a player that was picked up off the street before the season that is making a big difference in this offense.

Nowhere to run: Cowboys defense plugs the holes
There are times when you study an opponent and believe there are potential problems that you will have to deal with throughout the day if you are going to find a way to win that game.

My belief going into this game against the Bills was that they would give the Cowboys problems defensively with Fred Jackson running the ball and Ryan Fitzpatrick delivering it quickly from the pocket. I had seen the Bills move the ball with a wide-open attack that stretched defenses to their edges to defend the entire field. This is an offense that uses four- and five-wide sets that features screens and crossing routes at different levels.

The more I studied this Bills offense, the less I fully trusted that this Cowboys defense could truly defend them down after down.

On the other side, the Bills defense did not present that much of a problem from what I was able to observe. Sure this was a team that was ranked first in the league in takeaways but I felt that if the Cowboys protected the ball offensively, they could create some problems of their own.

Defensively, the biggest question for the Cowboys was whether the run defense could contain Jackson, who on tape played with impressive power and explosiveness. He was one of those backs that made you pay if you were not in good position to make a wrap-up tackle.

In the previous two weeks, the Cowboys really struggled in the stopping the run. The primary problem was at defensive end, but run fits with their linebackers were an issue as well. When you have outside linebackers like DeMarcus Ware and Anthony Spencer, they want to get up the field in a hurry. This puts pressure on your ends to hold the point of attack while taking on blocks. Kenyon Coleman, Marcus Spears, Jason Hatcher and Sean Lissemore had been getting moved off their spot and not stacking the point of attack.

When the ends are able to hold that point, it makes the jobs of Sean Lee, Keith Brooking and Bradie James much easier to get to the ball and finish plays.

When I studied this Buffalo line, I was not impressed with their ability to get push but was impressed with their ability to stay on their feet and sustain their blocks. The Cowboys had success in the first half against Jackson, not allowing him any room to run or the lanes to make those cutback runs. Jackson is at his best when he can attack the hole and if nothing is there, then bounce the ball outside.

Spears and Coleman were able to hold the point and physically take the game to this offensive line, not allowing any type of movement. The Cowboys defensive ends were physical in this game and that is why the Bills were unable to move the ball in the first half when the game was still in the balance.

In the second half, Jackson was able to hit on some runs that were more a product of spreading the Cowboys out and defenders missing tackles. Jay Ratliff had a missed tackle in the hole, Lee was trying to get Jackson down with one arm and was unable to. Carter got trapped inside and out of position, which led to a good gain, and he also had trouble getting off a block on another play that helped Jackson pad his numbers.

After the game, Rob Ryan said not to worry about what we saw from the run defense. I tend to agree because of what I saw in the first half and the way the Cowboys played at the point of attack. As long as Coleman, Spears, Hatcher and Lissemore can hold up on the outside, then you will see a team that was best in the NFL against the run through the first six weeks.

Sean Lee was much more than a cast player
When Lee dislocated his wrist two weeks ago against the Eagles and had to sit out the Seattle game, there was no question in my mind that if the swelling would go down and the pain would lesson, he would attempt to get back on the field as soon as possible. There was not going to be any questions of Lee’s toughness. It was a matter of whether trainers Jim Maurer and Britt Brown could fit him with a cast that allowed him to play.

What Lee played with Sunday on his left hand and wrist did nothing more than protect his injury. For a linebacker like Lee who is outstanding at playing with his hands, it truly was a handicap. Without the use of his fingers, Lee was reduced to a one-armed football player.

But what you have to remember about Lee is his incredible desire to get to the ball and also the football smarts that he possesses. A player that doesn’t have these two traits would have been no good to his team with the condition he was trying to play under.

Lee had a plan to how he was going to tackle in this Bills game. He is so quick reading the play that it allowed him to almost hesitate just a bit to get his body in position to make the tackle with his shoulder. Once Lee was able to get close enough to the ball carrier, you could see him try to wrap his arms as quickly around the man as he could.

Lee played like he had no fear of using his hands, hurt or not. There were several times where as he was moving down the line, he was able to fire his hands inside, control the blocker, shed and make the tackle.

Watching him drop in his coverage and play in the red zone, you would have never known that he had a club on his hand. I mentioned before that he had one missed tackle of Jackson, but that was the only one that I saw. To his credit, he had an opportunity for several more misses, but it did not happen.

Going into this game, there was so much unknown of how Lee would be able to function in the defense and still be productive. At the end of the day, he was anything but a liability.

One mistake: Only 10 defenders on the field
The only touchdown that the Cowboys defense gave up against the Bills came with only 10 defenders on the field.

With the Cowboys leading 21-0, the Bills break the huddle with four receivers and one running back. Ryan counters with six defensive backs, two defensive linemen and two linebackers, which means there are only 10 players on the field.

In the previous two plays, DeMarcus Ware was not on the field and Victor Butler and Alex Albright were. At the snap, Lee, Hatcher, Ratliff and Spencer all rush. On the left side of the Cowboys defense, Bills wide receivers Donald Jones and David Nelson are lined up with Nelson in the slot and Jones outside. Frank Walker is lined up over Jones with Orlando Scandrick on Nelson and safety Abram Elam two yards deep in the end zone.

When the Bills receivers break off the ball, Elam and Scandrick switch responsibilities. Jones carries Walker into Scandrick. Elam has Nelson on the goal line. Fitzpatrick, feeling the rush, sprints to his right. Jones is now open in the back corner of the end zone but Fitzpatrick makes the more difficult throw to Nelson, who is covered well by Elam. Nelson is able to snatch the ball away from Elam and gets into the end zone for the touchdown.

Garrett wouldn’t say what happened on the play, but I have to feel like that either Ware or one of the backup linebackers were not on the field when they were supposed to be.

Reaction score
I'd like to view this as evidence that Garrett is improving. It doesn't absolve him of some terrible, game-costing decisions earlier in the season though.

Murray has helped a lot, but it still doesn't excuse some terrible situational adjustments vs. NE and Detroit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd like to view this as evidence that Garrett is improving. It doesn't absolve him of some terrible, game-costing decisions earlier in the season though.

Murray has helped a lot, but it still doesn't excuse some terrible situational adjustments vs. NE and Detroit.

Sorry, but I fail to see any of these "terrible, game costing decisions" you speak of.

Murray has been a big boost, just like solidifying the OL with Holland helped, and just like having a healthy Fiametta has helped. And if the last two games are an indication, Romo has returned to health and is clearly throwing the ball better than he did after the SF game.

Reaction score
Wait...did you not see a clear distinction between the second half game management vs. Buffalo as opposed to Garrett's management against Detroit? We were up at by 24 in both cases.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wait...did you not see a clear distinction between the second half game management vs. Buffalo as opposed to Garrett's management against Detroit? We were up at by 24 in both cases.

No, I saw the run game more effective in one game than it was in the other. I also didnt see Romo throwing 3 balls right into the hands of the oher teams defenders. Romo's 3 picks in that game had nothing to do with playcalling or game management, and everything to do with the QB making a bad decision.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No, I saw the run game more effective in one game than it was in the other. I also didnt see Romo throwing 3 balls right into the hands of the oher teams defenders. Romo's 3 picks in that game had nothing to do with playcalling or game management, and everything to do with the QB making a bad decision.

You are wasting your time dbair, these fools will never get it. If Garrett is to be blamed as a result of the situational playcalling, then the only one I cna come up with was that ONE SERIES---the second to last of the game, when the Cowboys were up by 3 points and with 3:36 left to play, Garrett chose to sit on the points, rather then try to score. Whne you are UP by a mere three points against the Patriots and on the road, Garrett needed to coach/playcall as if he were DOWN 3 points and needed to score a TD to win or a FG to tie. Other than that ONE series right there, I haven't had a problem with Garrett's playcalling.

Reaction score
I also brought up the pats game for that reason.

And you guys really have to get Garrett's ginger cock out of our mouths for a second here. Even Garrett himself admitted that he wishes he would have run it more in that lions game. There's no excuse to have 47 pass attempts compared to 26 rush attempts in a game where you have a 3 score lead. He was dialing up passes on first and second down with zero situational awareness. It's pretty dumb to defend a man who admitted his own faults.

Reaction score
Oh, and the RBs in that Lions game were averaging 4.3 yards a carry, so that whole "run game was not effective" point is an absolute fallacy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I also brought up the pats game for that reason.

And you guys really have to get Garrett's ginger cock out of our mouths for a second here. Even Garrett himself admitted that he wishes he would have run it more in that lions game. There's no excuse to have 47 pass attempts compared to 26 rush attempts in a game where you have a 3 score lead. He was dialing up passes on first and second down with zero situational awareness. It's pretty dumb to defend a man who admitted his own faults.

Either pay attention to research when its done for you, or do some yourself.

Since you ignore the obvious, here it is again:

First series of 2nd half vs Lions, leading 20-3 at the half.

6 plays, 46 yds, TD. Now leading 27-3. 4 passes, 2 runs. The TD was a short pass. All 4 passes on the drive were complete. Jones carried twice for 7 yds.

Second series, leading 27-3

1 play. Romo's pass is thrown into awful coverage and returned for a TD. Now 27-10

Third series:

7 plays run. 5 runs for 25yds. 2 passes. Romo is picked off again, this time on 3rd and 2 and again on a ball thrown into coverage. Now 27-17

Fourth series:

3 runs, 4 passes. The big play on the drive is a long pass to Witten. the 3 run plays total 9 yds. We get a FG and now lead 30-17

Fifth series:, Detroit scores on their series, the lead is now 30-24

3 and out. 1 run, 2 passes. The first down pass is a dumpoff to Jones. The 2nd down run gains 5 yds.

Sixth series:

Another 3 and out. They run the ball on the first two plays and gain a total of 2 yds.

Seventh series, Detroit scores on their series and now trails 30-27

On the first play, Witten has gotten behind the defense for what appears to be a big play, but Romo underthrows the ball and is picked off.

So up until this point the run/pass tally is 13 rushes, 15 passes. Almost a perfect 50/50 balance. The 13 rushes total an unimpressive 48 yds, and only once did a rushing play result in a first down. The last drive of the game is all passes out of necessity, as they are trailing 34-30 and have to go the length of the field. 8 of them are pass plays.

So you complain they didnt run the ball enough with a lead (even though the rushing wasnt doing anything) vs the Lions, then complain about calling 3 rushing plays (with a lead) at the end of the loss vs New England. Romo has already thrown a number of bad passes in the New England game, and the defense has been playing lights out all day. In the Detroit game the defense played very well for a half, then nosedived in the 4th quarter.

Quit acting like they threw the ball 30 times in a row in the Detroit game with a 27-3 lead, because it isnt true.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Oh, and the RBs in that Lions game were averaging 4.3 yards a carry, so that whole "run game was not effective" point is an absolute fallacy.

If Romo didn't throw those 3 INTs, we wouldn't care right now for that game if we didn't run the ball enough. I mean are you saying that those plays where the INTs occurred, we should have ran it instead? What if we fumbled, then what? We should have passed instead. The secnd-guessing never ends. It was the playcalling that got us up.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
If Romo didn't throw those 3 INTs, we wouldn't care right now for that game if we didn't run the ball enough. I mean are you saying that those plays where the INTs occurred, we should have ran it instead? What if we fumbled, then what? We should have passed instead. The secnd-guessing never ends. It was the playcalling that got us up.

If we fumbled the chances for it being returned for a TD is much lower at least your allowing your D to get on the field.

To try and use the what if we fumbled logic is idiotic, we gave them 14 points on passes thrown in traditional running situation especially with a 2 score lead.

Reaction score
Ok why are we passing at all up 27-3 on 1st and 10? That's dumb. And then, up 30-27 with 4:20 (hehe) left to go in the game, we come out and pass again immediately? That's another big opportunity to milk some clock. We came straight out and passed. How is that helpful at all? We were averaging just over 3 ypc that half, so if you even just run 3 times, chances are that you get a first down and it essentially ends the game. Passing on 1st and 10 chews no time off the clock if you throw it incomplete. That also sets you up for a difficult 2nd and 10 play.

How many shotgun plays did we pass from in 2nd half? I remember the second pick being on a 3rd and 2, and we ran it in shotgun at the Detroit 48. It's like they didn't even try to cocktease a run and Detroit's offense was playing miserably. Why not see what happens with a run and then just punt (with likely the best punter in the league) pinning them back at their own 10? The only way to lose that game was to set them up for pick-6 opportunities. They needed until 1:30 left in the game to take a lead. There is no other way to come back from a 24 point deficit in 26 minutes. As the coach, ginger has to put his players in a position to succeed. The Lions were shutting down the quick pass routes we were running and there was zero adjustment.

“I put some of that on Jason Garrett, to be honest with you,” Cowher told Vic Carucci of Cleveland Browns Daily. “I think when you get leads in this league, you as a head coach, when you get a lead, you’ve got to be able to manage that. And you don’t just play the same way as if I’m down by three or a tie game, your risk-reward. When you have a lead, and you have a double-digit lead, to me, there’s a method to closing out a game. So, to have [Romo] back passing and to throw those balls that he threw, I put some of that on Jason Garrett. Certainly, [Romo’s] the one out there playing, he’s the one that’s going to make some of those decisions. And I know you have to trust your quarterback, but also when there’s a history there, you do have to also condition him.” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones agrees. “f you really look hard at where we were in that third quarter, you can make a case that if you run the ball a few times and punt it, run the ball a few times and punt it, stats show that you can’t lose it,” Jones told KRLD-FM on Tuesday. “You do get some punts blocked from time to time and you do fumble the ball from time to time.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Ok why are we passing at all up 27-3 on 1st and 10? That's dumb. And then, up 30-27 with 4:20 (hehe) left to go in the game, we come out and pass again immediately? That's another big opportunity to milk some clock. We came straight out and passed. How is that helpful at all? We were averaging just over 3 ypc that half, so if you even just run 3 times, chances are that you get a first down and it essentially ends the game. Passing on 1st and 10 chews no time off the clock if you throw it incomplete. That also sets you up for a difficult 2nd and 10 play.

How many shotgun plays did we pass from in 2nd half? I remember the second pick being on a 3rd and 2, and we ran it in shotgun at the Detroit 48. It's like they didn't even try to cocktease a run and Detroit's offense was playing miserably. Why not see what happens with a run and then just punt (with likely the best punter in the league) pinning them back at their own 10? The only way to lose that game was to set them up for pick-6 opportunities. They needed until 1:30 left in the game to take a lead. There is no other way to come back from a 24 point deficit in 26 minutes. As the coach, ginger has to put his players in a position to succeed. The Lions were shutting down the quick pass routes we were running and there was zero adjustment.

“I put some of that on Jason Garrett, to be honest with you,” Cowher told Vic Carucci of Cleveland Browns Daily. “I think when you get leads in this league, you as a head coach, when you get a lead, you’ve got to be able to manage that. And you don’t just play the same way as if I’m down by three or a tie game, your risk-reward. When you have a lead, and you have a double-digit lead, to me, there’s a method to closing out a game. So, to have [Romo] back passing and to throw those balls that he threw, I put some of that on Jason Garrett. Certainly, [Romo’s] the one out there playing, he’s the one that’s going to make some of those decisions. And I know you have to trust your quarterback, but also when there’s a history there, you do have to also condition him.” Cowboys owner Jerry Jones agrees. “f you really look hard at where we were in that third quarter, you can make a case that if you run the ball a few times and punt it, run the ball a few times and punt it, stats show that you can’t lose it,” Jones told KRLD-FM on Tuesday. “You do get some punts blocked from time to time and you do fumble the ball from time to time.”

We will just have to agree to disagree. Nobody runs the ball every play in the NFL.

Hell just in the game last night GB was up 31-7 starting the 4th qtr and came out throwing passes on almost every down on that first 4th qtr drive.

And as fyi, averaging only 3yds per carry sux dude.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If we fumbled the chances for it being returned for a TD is much lower at least your allowing your D to get on the field.

To try and use the what if we fumbled logic is idiotic, we gave them 14 points on passes thrown in traditional running situation especially with a 2 score lead.

Thank you! That was my point, to show how idiotic people are being in suggesting that we lost the game due to playcalling for not running the ball enough, when the facts show contrary. Regardless if fumbling results in a lower percentage of being returned for a TD than an INT.

And you cannot go with nothing but straight runs, especially as bad as we were in running the ball, because all that results in is 3 and outs which in truth is the same as a turnover. You keep doing that and that early, an opposing team will slowly and surely get right back into the game.

Reaction score
One last thought.

Detroit was giving up 4.8 ypc going into that game and we ripped off some decent chunks of yards (25 total) before that 3rd and 2 as you pointed out. Of course you can just run. Look at the play by play of the Buffalo game. We mostly ran on first and second down. The only passes were essentially in the flat to Murray. The rest of the plays were runs including this drive with 12:55 left in the 4th:

Dallas Cowboys at 12:55
1st and 10 at DAL 28 D.Murray left tackle to DAL 34 for 6 yards (Sp.Johnson).
2nd and 4 at DAL 34 D.Murray up the middle to DAL 46 for 12 yards (D.Florence).
1st and 10 at DAL 46 D.Murray left tackle to BUF 48 for 6 yards (M.Dareus).
2nd and 4 at BUF 48 P.Tanner right end to BUF 45 for 3 yards (T.Troup).
3rd and 1 at BUF 45 P.Tanner right end to BUF 44 for 1 yard (D.Searcy).
1st and 10 at BUF 44 D.Murray left end pushed ob at BUF 32 for 12 yards (D.Florence).
1st and 10 at BUF 32 D.Murray left end to BUF 21 for 11 yards (D.Searcy; J.Byrd).
1st and 10 at BUF 21 P.Tanner up the middle to BUF 13 for 8 yards (D.Searcy).
2nd and 2 at BUF 13 P.Tanner right end to BUF 13 for no gain (A.Coleman; N.Barnett).
3rd and 2 at BUF 13 P.Tanner right end to BUF 13 for no gain (A.Coleman).
Timeout #1 by DAL at 05:15.
4th and 2 at BUF 13 (Field Goal formation) D.Bailey 31 yard field goal is GOOD

Yeah, the run game was working well, but this mostly tells me that Garrett learned from the Detroit game. There were two 3rd downs on that drive above, and he ran on both of them. I'm ok with passing even, but I don't get why you have to do out of a spread shotgun formation where you're giving away the fact that it's gonna be a pass. If this were CZ, I would continue to bash Garrett in order to piss people off, but I'm trying to objectively say here that he improved from a playcalling situation that he himself admitted to messing up vs. Detroit. We put the pressure on Buffalo to score with their offense, and they failed to do it. It's perfectly ok to punt and play for field position when you're up by 24.

Reaction score
And you cannot go with nothing but straight runs, especially as bad as we were in running the ball, because all that results in is 3 and outs which in truth is the same as a turnover. You keep doing that and that early, an opposing team will slowly and surely get right back into the game.

How can you be so sure of this? They needed to score 4 times in order to win that game. Even if we go 3-and-out 4 times in a row, it chews off 12 mins from the clock, leaving them with 14 mins to score over 24 points. Keep in mind that their offense was playing miserably for the first 30 mins of the game. So do you think they'd score 24 points in 14 mins? That's a chance any coach should be willing to take. Especially with McBriar controlling the field position for us.

Reaction score
I have not been a huge Garrett fan since day one. As a head coach i think he has done a good job. I probably put more blame on Romo than most. I think Romo makes this thing work. He was outstanding Sunday. Maybe being fully healthy had to do with that. I love that Garrett was smart enough to hire Rob Ryan. That sold me on Garrett. In his defense, he does have the #5 Offense in the NFL. That has to mean something right? Get that redzone thing fixed and they could be special.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
How can you be so sure of this? They needed to score 4 times in order to win that game. Even if we go 3-and-out 4 times in a row, it chews off 12 mins from the clock, .

No it doesnt. Three and outs dont use up 3 minutes of game time.

Top Bottom