Reaction score
@RapSheet: Tom Brady’s suspension has officially been nullified, according to Judge Berman’s filing. He will play Thursday vs #Steelers.

Reaction score
Oh. Forgot about this. Shit.

@toddarcher: Unless the NFL wins an appeal, Patriots QB Tom Brady will play at AT&T Stadium on on Oct. 11 against the Cowboys after all.

Reaction score
@wingoz: Bounty gate, Deflate gate, Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson penalties all overturned. Time for the NFL to SERIOUSLY revisit their process

Reaction score
@RapSheet: Don’t expect @NFL to seek an injunction to keep Tom Brady off the field as they appeal this ruling. Basically, he’s playing this season.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Has dbair blamed Mara yet?

Really, can't believe the NFL is that upset about one of the marquee players in the league not missing a quarter of the season.

Reaction score
Guess we'll never find out if Doomsdays prediction of Brady getting Wally Pipp'd by Garaflaplalodo would've come true.

:(

Reaction score
Hoooooollllllllyyyyyyy shiiiiiiiiiitttttttt

@nfldraftscout: The NFL has paid Ted Wells over $45million dollars to head-up two botched investigations. Great job if you can get it.

Reaction score
Goodell is the luckiest man in the world.

He's an idiot, but the league has so much going for it that even he can't screw it up too much (in the short term).

... and he is paid something like 45 million a year.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Ted Wells: "The evidence is so solid that I could convict him in any court in the country."

Proceeds to lose in the first court it was tried in. :facepalm

and Kraft looks like shit for prematurely accepting those penalties

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Statement from the NFLPA-

This decision should prove, once and for all, that our Collective Bargaining Agreement does not grant this Commissioner the authority to be unfair, arbitrary and misleading.

Shots fired.

Reaction score
I'm not a particularly mean-spirited person, but I do enjoy seeing Goodell humiliated.

Here's a link to the decision:

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/photo/2015/09/03/0ap3000000520629.pdf?campaign=fb-nf-sf12749562-sf12749562

This seems to be a key statement in the decision:
In view of the Court's determinations regarding the inadequacy of notice and discovery afforded to Brady, the Court does not reach Brady's other claims .... (page 38)

It would appear that the court found that the NFL's process was unfair to Brady because 1) players were not informed if/how the behavior of which Brady was accused would be punished and 2) Brady wasn't allowed to question those involved in investigation, particularly the co-lead investigator (Jeffrey Pash, the NFL's executive vice president and legal counsel).

Reaction score
@nfldraftscout: The NFL has paid Ted Wells over $45million dollars to head-up two botched investigations. Great job if you can get it.

Could be that @nfldraftscout is correct about the $$, but not the botched investigations.

So far as I could tell, the judge didn't rule on whether or not Brady was involved in a conspiracy to deflate balls.

Instead, the judge said the NFL's (Goodell's) process was unfair to Brady. Regardless as to Brady's possible involvement in deflating balls, the NFL's penalties for that kind of behavior were never made clear to players (and so it is unreasonable to impose significant penalties for the behavior). Plus, the NFL didn't allow Brady to question people who had knowledge of the investigation, which also undermines fairness.

Could be that Ted Wells was absolutely correct, but that Goodell's office mishandled the situation.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think it's weird that a court of law can rule that the NFL cannot discipline a player within the scope of their rules but then also hold up a rule that discriminates against players that are less than 3-years removed from high school.

Seems to me that first one falls within allowable private company internal policy and the second issue is illegal age-discrimination.

Pep?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's weird that a court of law can rule that the NFL cannot discipline a player within the scope of their rules but then also hold up a rule that discriminates against players that are less than 3-years removed from high school.

Seems to me that first one falls within allowable private company internal policy and the second issue is illegal age-discrimination.

Pep?

That's kinda my take on this. I hate Goodell probably more than anyone on this forum, but I don't think US Courts should be getting involved with this stuff.

Top Bottom