Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It’s been soooo long since I’ve had a new computer and I’ve been out of the tech scene for years.

I’ll tell ya what, I will never go back to a non solid state hard drive again. Having the new computer literally boot up in seconds and be ready to work as opposed to a few minutes with my old set up is amazing

From the time I hit the power button I can be up and running in under 30 seconds. This new computer will boot up and be ready quicker than my old computer would coming out of sleep mode. I don’t even need to use sleep mode anymore

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It’s been soooo long since I’ve had a new computer and I’ve been out of the tech scene for years.

I’ll tell ya what, I will never go back to a non solid state hard drive again. Having the new computer literally boot up in seconds and be ready to work as opposed to a few minutes with my old set up is amazing

From the time I hit the power button I can be up and running in under 30 seconds. This new computer will boot up and be ready quicker than my old computer would coming out of sleep mode. I don’t even need to use sleep mode anymore

Make sure you don't ever run any of the maintenance tools on that SSD, like defragment for example. Not only is it never necessary, it can fuck up your data.

Also beware of your power situation, don't just leave the sumbitch on all the time. SSDs don't react well to outages, spikes, brownouts...

Turn it off and even switch it off in back, after every use to protect it. I even unplug mine, separate it from the utility.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Thx for the heads up on not defragging the ssd drive. I’d never heard that before.

I used to defrag regularly on my old computer just to keep the old bastard running. So I was in the habit of doing it often.

As for powering it off, I will do that after each use. There is no need to ever keep it on for an extended period of time or to even use the sleep mode anymore. The extremely fast boot time on this new computer made that a thing of the past.

I used to always use the sleep mode just so I wouldn’t have to wait the 5-10 minutes it used to take to boot up every time

Not only does this new computer have a SSD drive. It has the NMVe M.2 SSD drive that uses the PCI connector which is exponentially faster than the standard SSD drive that uses the sata connectors.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What VPN do you subscribe to? I've been researching them.

Sorry for the long delay in this reply

I just noticed your question now

I use PIA
Private Internet Access

They were cheap, but more importantly they were recommended by an OSINT expert that I did some training with. And he deals with the dark web all day everyday and needs the highest level of protection available.

I like that you can select the region/country/state/city for where it routes you thru. So if I’m researching a subject out of the area I can select his city so if my target is computer savvy and finds out someone is trying to locate him it will look like I’m local to the target. Plus my search results will be locally targeted to that area so it helps me locate targets more effectively

It also works on my cell phone.

lons

UDFA
Reaction score
I'm sorry that I'm only now just seeing this thread. I built a new computer in August. AMD 2700X with a 1060 GTX 6GB Nvidia card, 32GB of 3000mhz RAM an m2 SSD 512 GB Samsung 970 pro and 2 8 TB Toshiba in Raid for storage. Already had 3 24" Dell monitors and the keyboard and trackball headset etc. For video editing, you are looking at rendering. Rendering is usually very CPU intensive and card too. I went AMD over Intel for the simple fact it was more bang for the buck and while the i9 is a better single thread/core machine, the cost versus pay off was so out of touch with reality that it was absurd to spend the extra 500 dollars. Maybe I should have gone thread ripper from AMD but at the time they weren't out for 2nd gen and 2700x at a cool $300 was just too much to pass up. I benchmark at around the 94th percentile across the board for gaming/editing/streaming/and just overall performance and for me a jack of all trades computer that hits that mark is heaven. I think I spent about 1400 in all, water cooled, silent, and dust free love it.

Top Bottom