ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys right to stick with Jason Garrett
Jan 11, 2016
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- This is probably not the right time to speak positively about Marvin Lewis after the Cincinnati Bengals' meltdown against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday night, but his coaching arc brings perspective to the Dallas Cowboys.

When Lovie Smith was surprisingly fired by the Tampa Buccaneers last week, Jason Garrett’s job security came into one question, even if the questions were foolish.

Jason Garrett will face the challenge of trying to get the Cowboys back on track after a disappointing 2015 season. Tom Pennington/Getty Images
Garrett is/was going nowhere. And he shouldn’t be going anywhere. He deserves the chance to show 2015 was a bad year, not the start of a downward trend.

Smith went 8-24 in two seasons with the Buccaneers and one of those wins came this season against the Cowboys. Having picked Jameis Winston No. 1 overall Smith deserved more than one season with the quarterback.

From the outside, it was a panic move by Tampa Bay.

So what does this have to do with Lewis and Garrett?

Lewis had three 8-8 seasons in his first four years, like Garrett. He went 11-5 in 2005 and made the playoffs. In 2007, the Bengals finished 7-9.

Instead of moving away from Lewis, owner Mike Brown stood by him that year and even through a 4-11-1 record in 2008. He stood by him in 2010 with a 4-12 record.

Lewis is still looking for his first playoff win (0-7) but he has had the Bengals in the playoffs five straight seasons. Even with how the Bengals lost to the Steelers, Brown is not planning on firing Lewis, according to ESPN Insider Adam Schefter.

The Dolphins hired their seventh coach in 10 years, if you count interim coaches, hoping Adam Gase can do what Dan Campbell, Joe Philbin, Todd Bowles, Tony Sparano, Cam Cameron and Nick Saban couldn’t.

The San Francisco 49ers are looking for their third coach in three years.

The Philadelphia Eagles and New York Giants are in the same coaching search as the Buccaneers. The Tennessee Titans might have one if they don’t stick with Mike Mularkey, who took over as the interim coach last season. The Detroit Lions could be looking for a replacement for Jim Caldwell if their new general manager, Bob Quinn, wants his guy.

Oh, and the Cleveland Browns are starting over again because that's what they do almost every year.

Garrett is 40-40 with one playoff victory in five full seasons. He signed a five-year extension worth $30 million a year ago.

He said a week ago 2015 marked the first year he felt his program took a step back. He saw progress through the three straight 8-8 seasons from 2011-13 as the Cowboys retooled their roster from an older one to a younger one. With their 12-4 record in 2014, the Cowboys looked like they broke through for a run of sustained success.

But then came the 4-12 record in 2015.

Now comes Garrett’s greatest challenge: Get the Cowboys back on the rails. A healthy Tony Romo and Dez Bryant will help. So too will the fourth overall pick in the draft and the ability to do what they need in free agency.

But it will be about more than personnel. It will be about more than slogans on T-shirts too.

It will be about Garrett’s coaching chops, figuring out a way to get a critical first down or a crucial fourth-down stop.J

If he doesn’t, then Jerry Jones’ patience might finally run out.

Jones is standing by Garrett and not just because of economics. Yes, Garrett is owed $24 million but since when has money gotten in Jones’ way? He has invested time and patience in Garrett, long viewing him as his version of Tom Landry. He has lamented giving Chan Gailey just two years, especially since the Cowboys made the playoffs both times.

There couldn’t be two more disparate franchises than the Cowboys and Bengals, yet both are family-run operations with the owners as decision makers. Since taking over in 1989, Jones has made a trade with every team in the league but Cincinnati.

But how they are treating their current head coaches could not be more alike.

Reaction score
Yeah except Lewis was a brilliant coordinator for many consistent seasons prior to getting the job. He also got boned by not having a good QB after Palmer. Ginger has none of those excuses working for him.

Also, it's cincy. They're not gonna be attracting top coaches so it makes sense to keep an average to good coach in place.

Archer is a spineless dbag though.

Dallas can get any coach we want. Much different scenario.

Reaction score
On a side note, it's tough to see how Lewis can stay at this point. Cincy had a sure victory with Dalton likely returning for the next game. They collapsed bc the players lost focus. That's gotta be on the coaching staff. The two guys who got penalties were already highly suspect dudes. Certainly not RKGs. If you're gonna start those players you gotta be able to control them.

Reaction score
More company shills needed these days for PR damage control spin it seems. Jerry is having a hard time selling next season with another year of "the process". Jason won't survive to the end of next season in my opinion. Revenue will be down next year I have no doubt. Who the fuck can get excited about another season of this Garrett shit besides the ultra homers whom I believe are only acting the way they do in a pathetic attempt to feel superior to other people with differing opinions?

<Ultra Homer Dickhead Mode>

"Hey! Look at that person complaining about the 20 year old shit sandwich Jerry Jones has been serving up. I'm a better class of human being than them!!!! Please love me, and take me seriously as I am so lonely!"

</Ultra Homer Dickhead Mode>

Sorry, rant over. Been banging my head against the ultra homer wall the last few days when I know it's pointless to argue with them. They are not looking for debate, just self aggrandizement.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
More company shills needed these days for PR damage control spin it seems.
Sad thing is, this isn't Mickey or another dc.com employee, it's ESPN. But Archer and Co are so pro-Garrett it's sickening.

Last week the Ticket played audio of some long-time media guy named Ray Stone who covered the team from Landry to Campo. I guess he was like the Helen Thomas of the Cowboys beat writers because he always got the opening question at PCs. Anyway, he was absolutely tearing into Chan and Campo at the start of PCs about stupid stuff the team had done during the game. I mean, going on a 20-second lecture monologue asking how they could make such a bad decision, who was going to be fired for this, how could the team perform so poorly, etc.

Such a stark contrast to the way the media today allow Garrett to spoonfeed them baby shit and then happily ask for seconds. God I wish Ray Stone were around today.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The sad thing is they are talking about a NFL head coach needing to figure things out and learn how to be a head coach who's going into his 6th year as a head coach.

One day he'll figure things out.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I think Garrett's absolute ceiling is Marvin Lewis......which isn't very good

Reaction score
Except one of the Garrett brothers would have had Ray stone fired or executed if he tried to pull that shit with howdy doody.

Ginger has been censoring the media. We have proof of that. Archer is just a bitch for playing along.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The sad thing is they are talking about a NFL head coach needing to figure things out and learn how to be a head coach who's going into his 6th year as a head coach.

One day he'll figure things out.

With 3 years prior to him being a "co-head coach".

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
God I wish Ray Stone were around today

IIRC,this Ray Stone was a guy who had media credentials and made the most of them.
I have vague memories of him doing some kind of unofficial radio show back when as well.
But more to the point TE,you're absolutely right;I'm surprised they don't ask Garrett what his favorite flower is at his pressers.
Although that info may be in his press kit already.

Reaction score
Just wanted to note this statistic here because it helps further illustrate why it is patently absurd to argue in favor of keeping Garrett going forward.

The Cowboys have lost 10 out of their last 12 home games, with a current home losing streak of seven in a row.

Redskins 20 Cowboys 17 (OT)
Cardinals 28 Cowboys 17
Eagles 33 Cowboys 10
Cowboys 42 Colts 7
Cowboys 27 Giants 26
Falcons 39 Cowboys 28
Patriots 30 Cowboys 6
Seahawks 13 Cowboys 12
Eagles 33 Cowboys 27 (OT)
Panthers 33 Cowboys 14
Jets 19 Cowboys 16
Redskins 34 Cowboys 23

Yeah, keep Garrett. Great idea!

Reaction score
But, MORAL VICTORIES!!! We fought we scratched we clawed!

I don't know how Garrett does it week after week. I really don't. I could not stand there and offer hollow platitudes and excuses like that. I'd have a Mora moment instead.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I don't know how Garrett does it week after week. I really don't. I could not stand there and offer hollow platitudes and excuses like that. I'd have a Mora moment instead.

Because he really believes the shit.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
sadly I think Red Ball has bought into all this new age PC crap. And thinks that is all you need.

Top Bottom