Iamtdg

Reaction score
No damn way Martin was there for us in the second. It was a great pick, and one that a younger version of Jerry doesn't make because it's not flashy enough.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Not Smith but definitely Martin. They operated at almost total neglect of the worst defense in history last draft. I still maintain Martin would have been available later, in the second round. I know, shoot me. I just can't see how you draft your third O-Lineman in the first round having come off the total disaster the defense was the year prior.

The draft fell bad for the team if they wanted to draft defense. There was not a defensive player worth drafting at their position and nobody wanted to trade up with the Cowboys. It was really bad luck.

Reaction score

That's him!

The draft fell bad for the team if they wanted to draft defense. There was not a defensive player worth drafting at their position and nobody wanted to trade up with the Cowboys. It was really bad luck.

Exactly. The draft broke the wrong way for 1st round value pick on defense.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They didn't. It was still all about propping up Romo. Need moar offensive linemen.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
They didn't. It was still all about propping up Romo. Need moar offensive linemen.

And, I completely agree with it. Now, move Martin to RT and draft another guard around the 2-4 rounds and our line is set for a long time. Oh, and to answer your question earlier about how our lines in the early 90s weren't high draft picks... our college scouting department was much better back then and Jerry wasn't in the way nearly as much.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And, I completely agree with it. Now, move Martin to RT and draft another guard around the 2-4 rounds and our line is set for a long time. Oh, and to answer your question earlier about how our lines in the early 90s weren't high draft picks... our college scouting department was much better back then and Jerry wasn't in the way nearly as much.
Right the deed is done, might as well finish the job. Definitely agreed on the rest too, with addition of: the coaching was also much better. We could actually develop people.

Reaction score
Although Romo threw that bomb to Dez a bit short, he does seem to be getting better, except when he had that pic six in which he shouldn't of thrown.
The shortness of the throw was probably a combination of Romo not being 100% yet and intentionally underthrowing him. With Dez that wide open, you err on the side of an underthrow versus overthrowing him and blowing it.

All that said, he threw it 55 yards on a line. It didn't float, it was simply underthrown. Good signs IMO.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The shortness of the throw was probably a combination of Romo not being 100% yet and intentionally underthrowing him. With Dez that wide open, you err on the side of an underthrow versus overthrowing him and blowing it.

All that said, he threw it 55 yards on a line. It didn't float, it was simply underthrown. Good signs IMO.

Agree with the pep here...he missed the first one but he got it right on the 2nd one...it was a tad underthrown perhaps, but like Pep said he was so wide open you just want o make sure he has a chance to catch it first and foremost

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I just can't see how you draft your third O-Lineman in the first round having come off the total disaster the defense was the year prior.

BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE

He was drafted because he was the BPA at a position that was still a need. The OL wasn't a finished product before the draft. Free's entering the last yr of his contract so plans for RT needed to be taken into account to. They did that with Martin, who has the makings of a superb player.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
he was hardly touched in two of the three games, and for the vast majority of the third
You clearly aren't watching the same games I am. This last game was the first one where he wasn't sacked, or beat up much with hits.

He was peppered all day, all of the first two.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE

He was drafted because he was the BPA at a position that was still a need.
Right, you can pretend Jerruh and his son do things that way all you want.

You see what's being built? :lol

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
They do, except when Jerry gets distracted by something shiny (or they trade down), which ain't our new guard.
My beef is, you have the #32 defense in the league that's been bad for a long time, because they have been concentrating on their shiny toy, Romo - for all these years - making the offense what they themselves term, "More Romo Friendly."

To the detriment of just about everything else.

You don't get this toweringly BAD on defense by accident.

If a truly great offensive line comes out of all this, great. But by the time you build a decent defense, where are you? This shit doesn't happen overnight and we don't have a Hershel Walker to trade for a whole new D and there aren't any suckers who would take such a trade anyway.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You clearly aren't watching the same games I am. This last game was the first one where he wasn't sacked, or beat up much with hits.

SF hardly touched him the entire game. TN got some sacks on him early in the game, then hardly touched him in the 2nd half

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
SF hardly touched him the entire game.
Three sacks, minus 26 yds. 4 hits.

Vs. Tennessee 4 sacks, minus 28, 5 hits.

Vs. St Louis a BIG improvement - No sacks, NO hits.

So, it's exactly as I fucking said. This last game was the first one where he wasn't sacked, or beat up much with hits.

dbair said:
I see that you cant see shit no matter how obvious it is/was
If I ever get a anal polyp I will know what to name it - dbair.

:dbair

Top Bottom