Iamtdg

Reaction score
87-year-old dies after nurse refuses dispatcher’s CPR plea
Posted on: 6:19 pm, March 3, 2013, by Nick Dutton, updated on: 06:41pm, March 3, 2013

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (WTVR) — Controversy surrounds the death of an 87-year-old resident at a senior living facility in California after a nurse allegedly refused to perform CPR on the dying woman.
The incident happened Tuesday at Glenwood Gardens in Bakersfield after a 911 operator tried to get a staffer to perform CPR on the resident.

Dispatcher: Are we just going to wait and let this lady die?
Nurse: Well that’s why we’re calling 911
Nurse: She’s taking 3 breathes.

Dispatcher: We need to get CPR started… Ok, they’re refusing CPR they’re going to let her just die.
The dispatcher pleaded for anyone to help the 87-year-old before the ambulance arrived, but the nurse said it was against facility policy for staff to administer CPR.

“I understand your boss is telling you you can’t do it, but if there’s anybody… is there anybody that’s willing to help this lady and not let her die?” said the dispatcher.

“Um, not at this time,” the nurse replied back.

Dr. Thomas Horowitz, a medical ethicist, said the 911 call disgusted him. He said it is pathetic that the facility would disempower staffers to help.

Ultimately, Horowitz said the nurse was obligated to try to save the woman’s life. From a bioethics viewpoint, he said she should she have done something.

Glenwood Gardens’ executive director told KERO that the facility’s policies state that they do not provide medical care.
“In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives,” the director said in a statement.

California lists Glenwood Gardens a skilled nursing facility.

Steve Meister, KERO’s legal analyst, said regardless of the facility’s policies, the facility could face lawsuits, including criminal charges, because of state and federal obligations.

“As an employee of a licensed skilled nursing facility they are obligated to do more than call 911 and watch Aunt Gladys die,” Meister said. “Every person in the facility and the owner could be looking at license revocation from the state and they could be criminally on the theory of homicide.”

Fire officials reported that the woman died at the hospital.

The victim’s daughter said her mother had been living at the facility for 3 years. She also said she does not think her mother would have survived if she had received CPR.

Those California people are so enlightened.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The nurse was black.

The movie The Help was not based on a true story in case you were wondering.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
The policy is ridiculous. In certain cases you only have 4 minutes until someone becomes brain dead without swift and immediate action.

Reaction score
I mean, come on... she was 87 years old and living in a senior assisted living facility. She had a good run at it.

What, are we just going to keep old ass people alive for the sake of it?

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I mean, come on... she was 87 years old and living in a senior assisted living facility. She had a good run at it.

What, are we just going to keep old ass people alive for the sake of it?

Dude, that's like saying you approve of dog fighting.

Stoopid.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like it. The nurse simply defaulted to the ridiculous policy.

She didn't have a legal obligation to preform rescusitation(sp) but damn.

Did she, as a fellow human, have a moral obligation? She used policy to hide behind to keep her job. Violating policy and the potential ensuing lawsuit if the patient still died could have cost her her job, but does that override the moral obligation?

Reaction score
Dude, that's like saying you approve of dog fighting.

Stoopid.

I don't get the correlation you're trying to make.

Listen, all I'm saying is this... when you're 87 and living in an assisted living facility - having to be spoon fed peas, have someone wipe your ass for you, etc - it's time to call it quits.

You think Mrs. McOldass was enjoying that quality of life? You think she was continuing to contribute to society whatsoever? All she was was an old shell of a person waiting for death.

You want to save a 32 year old? I'm all for it.

A 45 year old with kids. Save them.

Even a 67 year old who still works and has loved ones.

But this near centurian who can't even get by on her own is nothing but a tax on her family (or society) who has to foot the bill for that assisted living facility. Just die and let your loved ones collect on your life insurance policy, or better yet, some inheretance. They could use it in this economy.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Then why was 911 called? Just let her die. I doubt she had a DNR.

It was probably a stupid CNA. How do you know that? If there was an DNR they cannot perform CPR.

Now, if there wasn't a DNR they are fully responsible under the California laws whatever they may be.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Just imagine doing CPR on an 87 year old woman. You'd probably crush her rib cage. That would be an ugly sight.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What can you do with these old people? Cut off their medicine?

I still don't understand why they called 911. They should have waited until she died because they're in a lot of shit now.

Reaction score
Listen, when I'm 87 years old... I don't care if I only need a sip of water to sustain life. If I cant' get it for myself, just let me die.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The day I can no longer take care of myself is the day I stop taking my 68 pills per day that Medicare pays for. I'm not going to a nursing home.

Top Bottom