bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
FWST: The Dallas Cowboys offense is worse than we feared

By Mac Engel
September 09, 2018 09:29 PM

Updated 4 hours 44 minutes ago
CHARLOTTE

Neither owner Jerry Jones, nor offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, stopped to chat with the media on Sunday evening, because the only thing either of them could have possibly said would have been, “Scoreboard.”

The scoreboard at Too Big Too Fail Bank Stadium read, “Panthers 16, Cowboys 8.”

Eight points.

How the Cowboys scored eight was the work of the Almighty on His day.

Be the first to know.

No one covers what is happening in our community better than we do. And with a digital subscription, you'll never miss a local story.

Our greatest fears about the ‘18 Dallas Cowboys played out on a rainy Sunday afternoon as Dak could not throw it, Zeke could not run it, and the offense was at, best, barftacular.

Eight points.

For the rational crowd, it’s only one game after a preseason where the Cowboys deliberately didn’t do a thing to prepare for this day other than intentionally rest their best players. That decision had consequences, beginning on Sunday.

For the rest of us, this offense lacks talent on the outside, and at tight end, and it showed against a Carolina team with a decent defense.

Carolina’s defensive front routinely pushed and abused the “best offensive line in the NFL” on Sunday to the tune of six Dak sacks. Unlike last year, the team can’t blame Chaz Green for half of them.

Poor rookie guard Connor Williams had his butt pushed into Dak so much that it could be named the NFC’s Defensive Player of the Week. :lol

Dak finished with 170 passing yards, and a passer rating of 81.1 For the non-analytics crowd, those numbers stink.

Bailey’s replacement, Brett Maher, missed his one kick, a 47-yarder in the third quarter that would have made the score 10-3.

“I know my role on this team and that’s to put points on the board and I didn’t do that,” Maher said.

It’s OK, Brett. Neither did anyone else.

Eight points.

Forget Bailey, if you can: Sunday was the eighth time in Dak’s last 11 games he failed to pass for more than 200 yards. Even when he had Dez and Witten, he wasn’t slinging it all over the yard.

The one play Dak had a shot to make something happen deep, he missed. With three minutes remaining in the first half, he evaded the rush and had tight end Blake Jarwin all alone deep down the left side for what would have been a large gain.

Dak short-armed the pass, and it wound up at Jarwin’s feet.

But the Cowboys are a rushing-based team, built on running back and a “newly focused” Zeke Elliott. Against Carolina, and a defense designed to take him away, he ran for 69 yards on 15 carries.

For the non-analytics crowd, those numbers stink.

“We had the (defense) on the field too long,” Zeke said after the game, “we couldn’t get first downs, we couldn’t keep our drives going.”

Even on the NBC’s NFL preview show, analysts Tony Dungy and Rodney Harrison took aim at the Cowboys.

“Dallas has always dominated with the offensive line. That’s how they’ve won games,” Dungy said on NBC’s Sunday Night in America. “It’s been hard to stop them and that sets everything up. They don’t have that now.”

Thanks for the good news, Coach.

“They don’t have a No. 1 receiver, they struggle running the ball, and that’s what they’re supposed to do best,” Harrison said.

The interior combination of new center Joe Looney and Williams was routinely exploited by the Panthers. Don’t let tackles La’el Collins and Tyron Smith slide out the back door without a, “The teacher wants to see you, too” memo. Neither of those guys had good days.

No one on the offense has a good day when you score eight points.

The offense didn’t cross midfield until after halftime, and didn’t start to actually move the ball until Carolina went up 16-0 early in the fourth quarter.

Then the Panthers softened up and allowed the Cowboys to convert some shorter plays, all underneath.

The Cowboys had their chances for a game-tying touchdown, but they never did so much as reach the Panthers’ 20-yard line in their final two possessions.

“It’s just timing right now,” receiver Tavon Austin said after the game. “The second half was a whole, completely different ballgame. We opened it up more. We’re definitely about to get better.”

Now, for some much needed levity: To open the 2014 season, coach Jason Garrett adamantly tried to calm everyone that his team looked much better than the 28-17 final score against the San Francisco 49ers would indicate.

His quarterback, Tony Romo, had terrible game and his running back, DeMarco Murray, was a fumbling machine. In the end, Garrett was right as the Cowboys went on to finish 12-4 and reached the second round of the NFC playoffs.

Sunday was just one game, but it was an awful start because it is everything we all feared about the team: The offense doesn’t have enough talent to be as good as the team needs to reach the second round of the playoffs and beyond.

That’s the natural conclusion when your team scores eight points.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There ya go!

Which to me means Garrett is the biggest problem that can legitimately be dealt with.

of course idiot Jones would have to hire a real HC and we know he's gotten that right only 1.5 times since he bought the team.

DDdave

Practice Squad
Reaction score
This Cowboy team was completely unprepared to play an NFL game in Week 1. I see absolutely nothing to make me believe it will get much better as the season progresses. This is what a JG team looks like and it is not going to change folks.

MI Cowboy Fan

Spectator
Reaction score
What an ugly cowboy game....

"Rookie left guard Connor Williams was beat for a pair of sacks in key situations."

Williams was being pushed around the whole game..... He can't handle the bull rush, from even my grandmother, (God rest her soul)...

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
What an ugly cowboy game....

"Rookie left guard Connor Williams was beat for a pair of sacks in key situations."

Williams was being pushed around the whole game..... He can't handle the bull rush, from even my grandmother, (God rest her soul)...

Not surprising since he looks like he is giving away 40-50 pounds to the guy across from him.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Which to me means Garrett is the biggest problem that can legitimately be dealt with.

of course idiot Jones would have to hire a real HC and we know he's gotten that right only 1.5 times since he bought the team.

NEVER GONNA HAPPEN!

jeri and his spawn have never been more entrenched within the organization and there is no coach on the planet that can coach around this lot of buffoons:

40lZJN8.jpg

I'm not defending the red clapper here but gawd only knows what kind of crap he has to coach around with jeri making decisions like this:

. . . _ _ _ . . . - YouTube

for all we know jeri, et al forced Garrett not to play starters, etc, etc, etc

I guarantee if we knew the bullshit the jones clan pulls behind the scenes our heads would explode. Wouldn't surprise me if Rich Dalrymple holds more sway over personnel and football decisions then Garret and the rest of the coaching, scouting staff as jeri & spawn probably prefer to lean on Rich to tell them which generates the most attention for the organization, winning be damned

Oh to be a fly on the walls.......

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Hey Guys, guys, guys!!

Remember that one time at band camp in New England where Belichick cut Lawyer Milloy (a four-time Pro Bowler and team captain) and all hell broke lose with the Pats fans?

Then it was even worse when Buffalo blew New England out 31-0 in the first game of the season with Lawyer Milloy on the Bills roster??

But then New England went on to win 18 of their next 19 games and the Super Bowl!

That could be Dallas, they're following the Patriots model and cutting Dez/Bailey havent paid off yet, you'll see.

you'll see!

:blowhard:farley:garrett

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

CHARLOTTE -- Well, it's not all bad news for the Cowboys. They had won four of their past six season openers heading into Sunday. The two times they lost were the only two years they made the playoffs (2014, 2016).

Seriously? How the hell can this be anyone's first thought of the day after watching that debacle yesterday? Did Jerry buy the DMN when I wasn't looking?

This is example A of what I'm talking about with the local media guys kissing Garrett and team ass.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Garrett in his presser today.

"We didn't possess the ball enough..."

Not ONE of the reporters in the room dared to say, "Uhh, coach. You ran 64 plays. How many would have been enough?

Garrett: "We didn't run the ball effectively..."

Not ONE of the reporters in the room dared to say, "Uhh, coach. You only ran 17 times. Out of 69 plays run. And Zeke averaged 4.9 yards per carry anyway, even with running into the teeth of 9 man fronts. The run game WAS effective, you simply refused to utilize it."

I had to turn it off or lose my lunch, seriously.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Man, I hope we go for 10 points next week.
That Dak friendly offense is a fuckin machine.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
So... Do we count this game as a loss when we didn't have Sean Lee? Since he did exactly not a fucking thing?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garrett in his presser today.

"We didn't possess the ball enough..."

Not ONE of the reporters in the room dared to say, "Uhh, coach. You ran 64 plays. How many would have been enough?

Garrett: "We didn't run the ball effectively..."

Not ONE of the reporters in the room dared to say, "Uhh, coach. You only ran 17 times. Out of 69 plays run. And Zeke averaged 4.9 yards per carry anyway, even with running into the teeth of 9 man fronts. The run game WAS effective, you simply refused to utilize it."

I had to turn it off or lose my lunch, seriously.
I wish we could get R Lee Ermey (RIP) from Full Metal Jacket a press pass.

Garrett: "Our problem on offense was we were behind the chains too often."

Ermey: "Well how in the fuck did the ball get behind the chains, Coach Garrett! Did God miracle it behind the chains? Or was it your undisciplined shitbox offense that did it with bad blocking and penalties, Coach Garrett!"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
S

This is example A of what I'm talking about with the local media guys kissing Garrett and team ass.

Yeah its really sickening. I don't get it either.

usually with ultra high profile comes ultra high expectations and major media ramifications when things go bad.

Everywhere except here for Garrett.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Zeke's 15 carries: -1, 0, 4, 2, 3, 7, 3, 2, 17, 2, 16, 4, -1, 7, 4

So a pathetic 6 of Zeke's 15 carries went for 4 or more yards. The same number (6) went for 2 yards or less. Nearly half his yards came on two 2nd half carries.

That's not the definition of running the ball effectively.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Zeke's 15 carries: -1, 0, 4, 2, 3, 7, 3, 2, 17, 2, 16, 4, -1, 7, 4

So a pathetic 6 of Zeke's 15 carries went for 4 or more yards. The same number (6) went for 2 yards or less. Nearly half his yards came on two 2nd half carries.

That's not the definition of running the ball effectively.

You don't quit on the run game because of zero or negative gain plays. You keep obstinately hammering. Then keep hammering some more.

Zeke should have had 30 carries and at least 10 receptions. You put the ball in the hands of your playmakers.

Reaction score
I wish we could get R Lee Ermey (RIP) from Full Metal Jacket a press pass.

Garrett: "Our problem on offense was we were behind the chains too often."

Ermey: "Well how in the fuck did the ball get behind the chains, Coach Garrett! Did God miracle it behind the chains? Or was it your undisciplined shitbox offense that did it with bad blocking and penalties, Coach Garrett!"

My inner monologue provided the voice and intensity of Sgt. Hartman as I read this to myself.

Well done.

Top Bottom