bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I4Q47VGEJ5FBBGE6SKG7IB4Q4E.JPG

By Calvin Watkins
7:34 PM on Nov 24, 2019

FOXBORO, Mass. – In a rainy, windy and cold day at Gillette Stadium, the Cowboys defense finally responded to its own standards of high-level play. Too bad the offense couldn’t match it. While the weather had something to do with it, this was still an ugly loss.

New England defeated Dallas, 13-9, on Sunday afternoon to continue a season-long trend of the Cowboys failing to beat a team with a winning record.

There were controversial bad tripping calls, one on left tackle Tyron Smith and one on center Travis Frederick, the last of which negated a first-down reception when the Cowboys were trying to drive for the winning score. Both calls were questionable, and the Cowboys most likely will be sending the replays of those plays to the NFL office.

With that, here are five takeaways from Cowboys-Patriots:

A wet ball, a wet field and gloves
The bad weather forced quarterback Dak Prescott to play with gloves on both hands and kept the offense from passing the ball with any efficiency. For the game, Prescott completed 19 of 33 passes for 212 yards with no touchdowns and one interception. Prescott also was victimized by two Jason Witten drops and a second-half holding pernalty on Tyron Smith that also negated a first-down play. Prescott has played well the entire season, but you can’t fault him too much for how the offense performed.

Defense slows down Tom Brady
Maybe Tom Brady is really 42 and not playing like he’s 32. The rain and the wind affected both quarterbacks, but Brady struggled the most. He was high on some throws, and despite a clean pocket on several other attempts he just wasn’t himself. At one point in the first half, Brady was 2 for 5 for 15 yards with a touchdown and an 87.5 quarterback rating. Brady finished 17 for 37 for 190 yards with one touchdown. Cowboys defensive end Robert Quinn missed Brady numerous times for sacks, though he picked up a strip sack in the second quarter. The Cowboys linebackers and safeties also kept the Patriots running backs from getting the ball. Brady loves throwing to his backs on screens and swing passes but that wasn’t the case on a consistent basis Sunday. The Patriots didn’t throw a pass to their running backs until the fourth quarter.

What happened to Amari Cooper?
Cowboys receiver Amari Cooper was targeted just once in the first half and it resulted in an interception. He did make a 13-yard reception in the second half but it was wiped out by a holding call on Tyron Smith. Cooper was shut down by the Patriots best corner, Stephon Gilmore. It’s a rare occurrence to see a cornerback take Cooper out of the game, but on this rainy afternoon, he disappeared. Officially, Cooper finished with zero catches on two targets.

Go for it? Kick the field goal?
The Cowboys were faced with a third and 7 from the Patriots’ 11 with about six minutes left. Dak Prescott was incomplete on a throw to Blake Jarwin in the back of the end zone. Instead of going for it, the Cowboys attempted a field goal of 29 yards. Brett Maher made it, and the Cowboys trailed 13-9 with 6:04 left. Should the Cowboys have gone for it? Maybe if the down and distance were fourth and 3, but it seemed like the smart move here. The Cowboys defense was holding the Patriots defense for a majority of the day, and with three timeouts in his pocket Jason Garrett made the right decision as the Patriots drove to the Patriots’ 41 before they were forced to punt with 2:48 left.

Special teams issues
There was a significant change on special teams, with Randall Cobb returning punts instead of Tavon Austin. Yet, Austin was back to field a punt in the fourth quarter, and he allowed it to bounce over his head for a touchback. Dallas also had a punt blocked for the first time this season in the first half when Matthew Slater slipped through some blocks to reach a Chris Jones attempt. Tony Pollard misplayed another kickoff, forcing the Cowboys to start their drive at their 11.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The bad weather forced quarterback Dak Prescott to play with gloves on both hands
NO IT DID NOT! YOU DON'T NEED FUCKING GLOVES! BRADY WAS WEARING ONLY ONE, ON HIS LEFT FUCKING HAND! EVERY DECENT COACH KNOWS THE QB DOESN'T WEAR A FUCKING GLOVE ON HIS THROWING HAND!

Ragnar

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I would rather they go for it on 4th and 7. Two chances to tie is better than one chance to win IMO. Even if Dallas doesn't get it, the Patriots are pinned at the 12. Dallas still needs a TD after making the FG but they give up something in the process. Some field position and the 4th and 7 chance.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
NO IT DID NOT! YOU DON'T NEED FUCKING GLOVES! BRADY WAS WEARING ONLY ONE, ON HIS LEFT FUCKING HAND! EVERY DECENT COACH KNOWS THE QB DOESN'T WEAR A FUCKING GLOVE ON HIS THROWING HAND!

I see quite a few QB's trying it now. I think Aikman even referenced during the game that they have started developing gloves now which really enhance the ability to control a wet ball more.

I also think the way a QB grips the ball makes a difference.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I would rather they go for it on 4th and 7. Two chances to tie is better than one chance to win IMO. Even if Dallas doesn't get it, the Patriots are pinned at the 12. Dallas still needs a TD after making the FG but they give up something in the process. Some field position and the 4th and 7 chance.

Mr Aikman wholeheartedly agrees with you. Said it numerous times during the broadcast.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
was a wet ball ever simulated in a cowboys practice ?

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
New England defeated Dallas, 13-9, on Sunday afternoon to continue a season-long trend of the Cowboys failing to beat a team with a winning record.

Prescott has played well the entire season, but you can’t fault him too much for how the offense performed.

So the Cowboys haven't beaten a team with a winning record all season and the offense sucked against the Pats but you can't blame Prescott. Why not? This is the shit that drives me nuts.

G-men4ver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
Your team has 6 wins vs teams with a combined 16-49-1 record, they are 0-4 vs teams with winning records. Now you play a very tough 8-3 Buffalo team in what is essentially a supreme must win playoff type game cuz at 6-6, & the Rams & Philly left to play, you might be hard pressed to finish 8-8, though that may still win this sorry div of ours this yr. Either way, be it Dallas or Philly, the NFCLeast winner will be 1 & done in the WC game. My NY Pygmies are a well deserved 2-9 & I'm praying we lose out so we have a great shot at getting Chase Young at #2 as I think Cincy will be going QB with the #1 pick.

Are any of you pleased with Zeke's season after getting his big payday? It seems to me that all players ball out in their contract yrs & as soon as they get the big payday, start to slack off & not go 110% like they did in their contract yr, wonder when team owners finally figure that out?

What is your honest assessment of our QB Daniel Jones, legit franchise QB if he can fix his fumbling issues or a bust?

kwcoolk619

Practice Squad
Reaction score
DannyDimes? With the right coach, he can be an above average QB. He may be a lifetime fumbler, but I see a good career for him nevertheless. Jones seems to have the respect of his Receiver core. Good arm.

G-men4ver

Cheerleader
Reaction score
I
DannyDimes? With the right coach, he can be an above average QB. He may be a lifetime fumbler, but I see a good career for him nevertheless. Jones seems to have the respect of his Receiver core. Good arm.
Don't think him being a lifetime fumbler will keep him on as the starter. You cannot give the other O 2-3 more extra possessions per game, don't care if you have the #1 D , you can't expect your D to defend a short field 3x a game. Not to mention, they will be worn out from having to play 32+min or more. If he doesn't fix his fumbling issues by next yr, I want him replaced.

kwcoolk619

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I

Don't think him being a lifetime fumbler will keep him on as the starter. You cannot give the other O 2-3 more extra possessions per game, don't care if you have the #1 D , you can't expect your D to defend a short field 3x a game. Not to mention, they will be worn out from having to play 32+min or more. If he doesn't fix his fumbling issues by next yr, I want him replaced.

Good point

Top Bottom