Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, was mind numbingly lousy call. One of numerous ref fuck ups in the 2nd half.

Been saying it here for a few years now. The NFL has an officiating problem. So much so that I'm starting to think these guys are betting on games.

And very few coaches mention it which makes me kind of wonder. Oh I know....someone here will mention that coaches don't call it out because it doesn't exist. I think it's BS and people would have me not believe what my eyes are telling me.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It definitely had ZERO impact on the game as we did get a 3 and out and got the ball back, and still moved the ball the length of the field for a legit chance to win.

100% agree with your post. But I'll also add that it had zero impact because Philly was trying hard to give us the game. They had 3rd and 3 and instead of going with a short yardage play, Hurts tried to go deep on a low percentage play for some bizarre reason.

The Cowboys needed to milk the clock and play for that to be their last possession and not give Philly the ball back. Remember, we needed a TD and 2 point conversion to go up by 3 or Philly can move the ball into FG range and win the game.

A good team makes that their last possession and they play not to give Philly the ball back.

RogtaDru

Spectator
Reaction score

First and 5. Ball on the 6. 27 seconds remain.
Take the sequence of events from there.
These are your Dallas Cowboys.
Sad but true.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
According to refs yesterday, this one (and many others like it) is not holding.

1699278453221.png

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
All Zoners are trashing Prescott for the delay of game, but here's Ferguson's postgame comments on it:

Fans might not be overthinking the four yards Lamb was short. The team lost because of many reasons, including questionable officiating and a bad stretch coming out of halftime when they allowed back-to-back touchdown drives.

But Cowboys tight end Jake Ferguson admits he cost his team five yards one play before they needed four more to win the ballgame.

"I put that one on me, honestly," Ferguson confessed to reporters postgame. "The play before was a delay of game. I just couldn't hear but I've got to know in that situation what kind of play we're going to call, what we're thinking."

Ferguson was visibly confused when the Cowboys lined up one play before, 22 yards away from the end zone. The delay of game was called as a result of the sequence and thus Dallas was working from the Eagles' 27-yard line.

"That starts with lining up and getting the play off," Ferguson added. "The last play we were four yards short, we don't get that delay of game, we're in the end zone."

Credit where credit is due: The Cowboys tight end had himself a big-time game. He finished the day with 91 receiving yards and seven catches in ten targets. He was one of three players with a touchdown catch off of Prescott.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If the playoffs started today:

1) Philly
2) Detroit
3) San Fran
4) New Orleans
5) Seattle (wins tie breaker w Dallas right now based on NFC Record)
6) Dallas
7) Green Bay

Green Bay at Detroit
Dallas at San Fran
Seattle at New Orleans

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Horrendous PI call on Gilmore, this was a 2nd and 5 play and they got a 1st down. Scored a TD a few plays later.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think if we fail to at least make the conference championship (which seems like a sure bet) then McCarthy is going to get whacked. He wouldn't be the only one deserving of it, but I do think he will get fired if we flop again in the playoffs (or fail to make the playoffs altogether, which is possible)
I'm listening to Talking Cowboys. Right after they get done praising Dak, they ask "why isn't Cooks getting the ball, he's getting 2 1/2 yards of separation".
Stanback says, "He's the clearout guy," so it's coaching.

I say, okay, BUT, some of that is on Dak because if you see a guy open but 2 1/2 yards then don't tell me the QB isn't allowed to throw him the ball.

Yes, CeeDee wants the ball, but did Troy not throw the ball to Novacek and Harper (also (K-Mart) when they were wide open simply because Irvin wanted the ball?

I get the concept of being a clearout guy and CeeDee wanting the ball, what I don't get is the concept of the QB apparently not being able to throw the guy the ball.

Hasn't McCarthy been in the NFL too long to tell his QB not to throw the ball to a wide open Cooks?

Doesn't make sense to me. I'm more apt to blame Dak. As they also pointed out, the same happened with TY Hilton last year.

Is McCarthy really instructing Dak not to throw the ball to a wide open Cooks?

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
All Zoners are trashing Prescott for the delay of game, but here's Ferguson's postgame comments on it:

Fans might not be overthinking the four yards Lamb was short. The team lost because of many reasons, including questionable officiating and a bad stretch coming out of halftime when they allowed back-to-back touchdown drives.

But Cowboys tight end Jake Ferguson admits he cost his team five yards one play before they needed four more to win the ballgame.

"I put that one on me, honestly," Ferguson confessed to reporters postgame. "The play before was a delay of game. I just couldn't hear but I've got to know in that situation what kind of play we're going to call, what we're thinking."

Ferguson was visibly confused when the Cowboys lined up one play before, 22 yards away from the end zone. The delay of game was called as a result of the sequence and thus Dallas was working from the Eagles' 27-yard line.

"That starts with lining up and getting the play off," Ferguson added. "The last play we were four yards short, we don't get that delay of game, we're in the end zone."

Credit where credit is due: The Cowboys tight end had himself a big-time game. He finished the day with 91 receiving yards and seven catches in ten targets. He was one of three players with a touchdown catch off of Prescott.
A byproduct of changing the offense?

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
It must be the holiday season already because the ghost of Chaz Green paid us a visit yesterday
Steele might not have played well, but I agree with Stanback. Biadasz was a real problem too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm listening to Talking Cowboys. Right after they get done praising Dak, they ask "why isn't Cooks getting the ball, he's getting 2 1/2 yards of separation".
Stanback says, "He's the clearout guy," so it's coaching.

I say, okay, BUT, some of that is on Dak because if you see a guy open but 2 1/2 yards then don't tell me the QB isn't allowed to throw him the ball.

Yes, CeeDee wants the ball, but did Troy not throw the ball to Novacek and Harper (also (K-Mart) when they were wide open simply because Irvin wanted the ball?

I get the concept of being a clearout guy and CeeDee wanting the ball, what I don't get is the concept of the QB apparently not being able to throw the guy the ball.

Hasn't McCarthy been in the NFL too long to tell his QB not to throw the ball to a wide open Cooks?

Doesn't make sense to me. I'm more apt to blame Dak. As they also pointed out, the same happened with TY Hilton last year.

Is McCarthy really instructing Dak not to throw the ball to a wide open Cooks?
I'm not an offensive system expert but it seems passing games are predicated on reads and progressions. Almost all plays are designed to highlight what your best players do and get the ball into your best players hands consistently. Then if said player is covered you move to read 2, read 3 etc etc. Prescott does better when he can throw immediately to his 1st or 2nd read. When he starts trying to get off those reads, he struggles. And our pass protection dictates he HAS to get rid of it quickly, because quite frankly it sux (especially the right side)

Lamb should get the ball more and the last two games the offense has moved the ball much better because of it. He is a legit #1 target and should be the featured guy every week until opponents show they can stop it. The Chargers couldnt stop him and neither could the Eagles. Until someone proves otherwise, you take it over and over and over.

You mention Aikman and the 90's Cowboys. Michael Irvin WAS the goto guy. Plays were designed to get him the ball and even though teams knew he'd get the ball they could rarely stop him. I doubt Aikman had many (if any) games where he threw the ball more to Alvin Harper than Michael Irvin. Novacek was always pretty much the 2nd leading receiver. Harper and KMart (and then Kevin Williams) were complimentary guys. In fact most years the RB's caught more passes than the 2nd and 3rd WR's for us. Alvin Harper's career high in receptions for us was 36 I believe. Kevin Williams took over the primary #2 role in 1995 and didnt score a receiving TD until the final game of the season.

In our offense right now 6 guys have at least 10 receptions, 7 guys have at least one TD. If I look at a team that has been very explosive throwing the ball like Miami what do I see? 6 guys with 10+ receptions and 8 guys with at least 1 TD reception. And they've run probably 30 or so more pass plays than we have.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Steele might not have played well, but I agree with Stanback. Biadasz was a real problem too.

Listening to the Doomsday podcast this morning they said we lost on 25 pass rush attempts. 19 of those were credited to Steele

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Listening to the Doomsday podcast this morning they said we lost on 25 pass rush attempts. 19 of those were credited to Steele
Yep, a good organization would respond to this by benching him.

He's been bad every game. I'd have to check to confirm but in most games he's been the lowest graded OL for us. He was one of the 5 or 6 lowest rated starting tackles in the league BEFORE yesterday.

He was really good last yr before he got hurt, even a boderline probowler. But he should have never been handed a 90 million contract without first seeing how healthy he'd be. He isnt right, and its holding the offense hostage.

Top Bottom