bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Really sounds like they were NOT going to take Kincaid.

I think the Bills did what everyone else in the media did and just assumed the Cowboys were completely fixated on TE.
Like when Philly jumped us for Goedert.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully he fares better than Brooks and Taco. We haven't had much luck with Michigan linemen over the years. In any event, it's about time we seriously addressed the DT position. Lord knows the Eagles do.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Well after having all night to think this through I've come down off the ledge some.

I still would have probably preferred Nolan Smith but after perusing all the Mazi Smith info and video, and hearing comments about him from various league people etc etc it sounds/looks like we got a real immovable object up front that has potential as a pass rusher with coaching and some scheme work. His athletic ability for someone his size is pretty impressive but it is perplexing that there wasn't much pass rush production in his two yrs as a starter. Michigan coaches say it's because of how they used him in their scheme, so we shall see.

The other thing is if you go back and look at Seattle's defense when it was really good and Quinn was on their staff and DC, they had 3 or 4 pretty enormous guys in the middle. Guys like Red Bryant, Alann Branch, Tony McDaniel and that little fire hydrant guy Brandon Mebane. None of those guys were superior pass rushers but they all held their positions and didnt get blown back constantly. Nobody pushed that front around. We now have a couple guys like that with Smith and Hankins.
A quote that I read basically stated that the Cowboys already told him to focus on the run. And Mazi's response was that while he wants to improve his rush he can't lose sight of what got him here.

So my take is to not expect much of a pass rush for a couple of years. I think that's Osi's job.

I do wonder how much of a difference there is between Mazi and Siaki Ika if what you are looking for is a big body to clog things up and free up Micah.

I guess what that comes down to is the idea of not knowing if Siaki will be there in round 2 and then being at the mercy of finding a team who wants to deal to move up.

Apparently Jerry said Mazi was their 13th or 14 players on the board. So that indicates that they think he is a true number 1 pick.

I was thinking. Hyatt at 26, then TE in round 2. IMHO, teams are less likely to waste time running the ball on you if they know you're going to score on every drive. But, I think that type of thinking is more Kellen Moore than McCarthy.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
So will there be a team that shakes up the board by trading up into the top of round two for either Will Levis or Hooker?

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Whelp, looks like the Cowboys were not the only ones who apparently think LaPorta is the best TE in the draft.

Didn't Detroit trade away another TE from Iowa who is likely better than LaPorta?

Top Bottom