icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

remember the fat mike interview before DAL hired him???? 20% of the interview was about how mccarrthy got into the league as a quality control coach which is much like an analytics position, and how he would incorporate that into hte team better than he did in GB

also mentioned some of his biggest downfalls were getting away from pre-snap motion, shifts, and multiple personnel groupings.. hmmm... yeah

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Travis Frederick didnt do it for you?

Sux his career ended prematurely, but dude was a dominant player on the field from day one.
I see that I accidentally typed Jason instead of TRAVIS Kelce.

No, Frederick was an excellent pick. OL hasn't quite been the same without him-especially when Looney was playing.

But I meant Travis Kelce. That year we took Escobar in round 2 (how is it that so many round 2 selections seem to be not very good) and then we did the 2 for 1 and got Terrance Williams in round 3 (who, as soon as Tony Romo left, disappeared off the NFL map).

Travis Kelce was taken at the top of round 3, so we could have had Travis Kelce in round 2.

On a side note, Pete Prisco had Travis Frederick mocked in ROUND ONE to the Rams, so taking Frederick in round one was not a reach as many claimed.

Aggiepride

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Yeah no other team ever drafts players that dont pan out, and they always draft the guy they should have all along.
You're making excuses. I would be interested to see how many teams F-up the second round pick as much as Jerry does. How about Al Johnson, who is in the Hall of Fame, oh wait, no, he barely got on the field. Luckily they got Witten in round 3.

Let's see, the year after that they took Julius Jones (decent player, nothing to brag about).

After that they took Kevin Burnett (same, decent player).

Then Jerry took Anthony Fasano (same thing, decent, but traded).

Then Marty B. (eh, again, good, nothing special). Got better later in his career once he got a little more serious.

Then Jason Williams.

Let's fast forward....

Jaylon Smith! Really? In a year that you are hoping to win the Super Bowl, you draft a player in ROUND 2 that will not help your coach (or team) win a single game!

Randy Gregory? A guy who has issues going into the draft and Jerry uses a premium pick on a player who doesn't see the field KNOWING that he was the way he was.

That's 2 players that your coach (your team) can't rely on to be on the field.

Trystan Hill? A guy who didn't even start on his college team, and didn't exactly play at a powerhouse, yet Juan Thornhill and Taylor Rapp (a position of need) are sitting there to be plucked.

I get it, every team has its duds. But our expectation, our demand, should be that the first and second round pick is at least good enough to get on the field and contribute on most downs-even if he is not a Pro Bowl player.

I would add round 3 as well. The top 100 players should be players who can contribute to winning, not holding a clipboard.

I'd bet that if the people who claim that Dallas drafts well, and that we draft "better than Belichick," looked at the first 3 rounds (premium picks), only that it would turn out that Jerry didn't draft all that great.

Jerry found some gems in the later rounds, like Dak, like Ratliff, etc, but I don't think Jerry does as well as claimed if only the first 3 rounds are looked at.

Top Bottom