yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Its mentioned in several books I have that I dont have the time currently to go look up

but the story is Bum Bright couldnt stand Landry and wanted him fired, Schram loved Landry (so much so he couldnt fire him) and thought it was time to change the HC and tried on multiple occasions only to have Landry renege on retiring. Schramm didnt just consider Jimmy, he actually announced the hiring of Paul Hackett, you can read about it some here:

Peter King: “In 1989, at least half of your (radio) listening audience was ANGRY at this oil man (Jerry Jones) for firing Tom Landry, and bringing in this dumb college coach (Jimmy Johnson). What was that year like? How did you sense the anger and the vitriol?”

Brad Sham: “I sensed the anger and the vitriol because I hosted a call in show every night. Most people who revile Jerry Jones do it because of the dismissal of Tom Landry. But I always say let’s see how much you know. Because Tex Schramm (General Manager of the Cowboys from 1960-1989) wanted to get rid of Tom Landry!”

King: “Wow, I didn’t know that!”

Sham: “I wrote a book in 2003 called Stadium Stories, different things about the Cowboys. One of the chapters I did was on Tex. I spent a whole day with Tex and he told me things I didn’t know. “

“In 1986, (Coach Tom) Landry says to Schramm, get ready, get the next guy (the next head coach for the Cowboys). Landry hires the hottest, young assistant coach, Paul Hackett from the San Francisco 49ers. In typical Schramm/Jerry Jones fashion, he announces the hiring of Paul Hackett on the day of the NBA All Star Game in Dallas, in February. And the Dallas Morning News and the Dallas Herald have above the fold in the sports section “Cowboys Hire Hackett,” and below the fold “NBA All Star Game.”

“Landry then decides, without telling anyone, he is not going to quit. Either 1987 or 1988 in the Spring, Landry had a press conference. Schramm had Marty Schottenheimer in town, looking at houses. He thought he was going to hire Marty Schottenheimer to replace Tom Landry, who was going to retire. Landry comes and has a press conference, and that’s when Schramm finds out that Landry is not quitting.”

“Landry says ‘There has been a lot of speculation about my future, and I just want to tell everyone that I’m staying and I hope to coach in to the 90s.’ That’s how Schramm found out. Landry’s last team, it got old, and was 3-13; that’s the worse team I’ve seen, in 39 years with the Cowboys.”

Here's a screen capture of a Texas Monthly (Sept 1992) article that mentions Schramms interest in Jimmy Johnson

1644867858045.jpeg

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I could have sworn Dooms mentioned this at some point too, maybe he'll chime in

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Its mentioned in several books I have that I dont have the time currently to go look up

but the story is Bum Bright couldnt stand Landry and wanted him fired, Schram loved Landry (so much so he couldnt fire him) and thought it was time to change the HC and tried on multiple occasions only to have Landry renege on retiring. Schramm didnt just consider Jimmy, he actually announced the hiring of Paul Hackett, you can read about it some here:

Here's a screen capture of a Texas Monthly (Sept 1992) article that mentions Schramms interest in Jimmy Johnson

View attachment 9580
Key sentence there "had thought about hiring him IF Landry ever decided to retire"

Like I said, had Jones not bought the team I doubt Jimmy ever ended up as HC here, and thus we'd have almost assuredly never won those 3 super bowls. Schramm would have probably needed to see another 2 or 3 train wreck seasons before coming to grips that Landry had to go, and by that time I'm sure someone else would have plucked Jimmy up.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
damn cheerleader voyeurism and taking upskirt pics of charlotte during the draft... whew boy rich you aint fixin that

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Gonna be another great off fellas. Jed and Jethro are prioritizing Gallup. A brittle WR who cant stay healthy and only had ACL surgery a week ago,

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Gonna be another great off fellas. Jed and Jethro are prioritizing Gallup. A brittle WR who cant stay healthy and only had ACL surgery a week ago,

He missed 2 games in 3 seasons prior to this year. He didn't miss any games at Colorado State either prior to that.

It sux that he had two crappy injuries this yr, but it also might be the only reason we can keep him. he still has a lot of upside and will only be 26 next month. He had back to back really good seasons in 2019 and 2020 and as a rookie was one of the few guys who came up big vs the Rams in the playoffs.

It actually would be fairly smart cap-wise to trade Cooper (or release him if he cant be traded) and re-sign Gallup.

Top Bottom