Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Well that didn't take long. According to Tom Pelissero, Tyron Smith is already out indefinitely after suffering a hamstring injury. It is possible that it is a season ending injury. Its time to finally put this old dog out to pasture.

Time for the young Rook (The other T. Smith) to step up and take the reigns. Hopefully this kid turns out to be everything they have drafted him to be.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
DAL wont trade for anyone at the deadline because they got tyron coming back for a deep playoff push !!!!!!!!!! lets gooooooo

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
DAL wont trade for anyone at the deadline because they got tyron coming back for a deep playoff push !!!!!!!!!! lets gooooooo
If they trade for someone it will be in the next week to ten days I think

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry just called Tyron's loss a "setback." :lol

Most rational onlookers would call it a full-blown disaster, esp when you have zero adequate replacements. But hey, all we need to do is hold on 'til Christmas. 8-|

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jerry just called Tyron's loss a "setback." :lol

Most rational onlookers would call it a full-blown disaster, esp when you have zero adequate replacements. But hey, all we need to do is hold on 'til Christmas. 8-|
Good teams have to overcome injuries sometimes, this is no different.

They can't let the loss of one guy torpedo the season. He's a great player and a huge loss, but other guys have to step up now.

And I still like our defense, and feel pretty good about most of the special teams piece. Losing Tyron shouldn't be a reason they go from close games to 35-7 blowouts.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Good teams have to overcome injuries sometimes, this is no different.

They can't let the loss of one guy torpedo the season. He's a great player and a huge loss, but other guys have to step up now.

And I still like our defense, and feel pretty good about most of the special teams piece. Losing Tyron shouldn't be a reason they go from close games to 35-7 blowouts.
They had no decent swing tackle on the roster even before Smith got hurt. This is football malpractice considering Tyron's recent history. They also had a cavalier attitude regarding WR, K, backup QB. Time to reap what they've sewn.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They had no decent swing tackle on the roster even before Smith got hurt. This is football malpractice considering Tyron's recent history. They also had a cavalier attitude regarding WR, K, backup QB. Time to reap what they've sewn.
I have no problem with them taking a wait and see approach at all those except backup QB.

They have young guys they need to find out more about, so getting the most reps possible IN and the preseason games is extremely important. They also drafted guys in the 1st and 5th rd (and 4th rd last yr) that they expected to take on some workload, its not like they did nothing. With PK they signed two young guys incl one of the op college kickers that was available, neither could do the job so they brought in the best veteran that they could find at the time. It remains to be seen if he is the answer for the season, or is even the kicker on opening night. He might not be. WR they signed a veteran guy who has played quite a bit and drafted another kid in the 3rd rd. Its not their fault the vet suffered a broken foot. WR is also a position that will likely see numerous people available at or after final cutdowns. There was no harm in waiting there, and they also knew all along Gallup would be returning fairly early in the season.

Backup QB is different to me because its clear Cooper Rush is mediocre at best and has no ability whatsoever to ever develop into a starter. Will Grier has some ability, but he is on his 2nd team now and wasnt able to practice a lot of camp. I di think they should have been fairly aggressive early in free agency getting a proven vet to be behind Prescott. Then, if Grier had shown enough maybe you consider cutting the other guy at that point, but not before.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Good teams actually do. We're not good and haven't been for a very long time.
I still think this defense will be pretty good, and also like most of the ST. The offense has to overcome a huge loss at LT, but there is still plenty enough talent to move the ball and score points.

Like I said, other guys have to step up. You're 100% right in that for most of the last 2+ decades, that hasnt happened. Maybe it plays out that way again, but I am ok with waiting to see and judging after a few real games.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I have no problem with them taking a wait and see approach at all those except backup QB.

They have young guys they need to find out more about, so getting the most reps possible IN and the preseason games is extremely important. They also drafted guys in the 1st and 5th rd (and 4th rd last yr) that they expected to take on some workload, its not like they did nothing. With PK they signed two young guys incl one of the op college kickers that was available, neither could do the job so they brought in the best veteran that they could find at the time. It remains to be seen if he is the answer for the season, or is even the kicker on opening night. He might not be. WR they signed a veteran guy who has played quite a bit and drafted another kid in the 3rd rd. Its not their fault the vet suffered a broken foot. WR is also a position that will likely see numerous people available at or after final cutdowns. There was no harm in waiting there, and they also knew all along Gallup would be returning fairly early in the season.

Backup QB is different to me because its clear Cooper Rush is mediocre at best and has no ability whatsoever to ever develop into a starter. Will Grier has some ability, but he is on his 2nd team now and wasnt able to practice a lot of camp. I di think they should have been fairly aggressive early in free agency getting a proven vet to be behind Prescott. Then, if Grier had shown enough maybe you consider cutting the other guy at that point, but not before.
They unnecessarily created positions of need when they let Cooper and Collins go for next to nothing. Then they counted on Washington, who's not better than Cedric Wilson, to be the #2 receiver until Gallup got back. Dumb. This is not "bad luck." This is incompetence.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I still think this defense will be pretty good, and also like most of the ST. The offense has to overcome a huge loss at LT, but there is still plenty enough talent to move the ball and score points.

Like I said, other guys have to step up. You're 100% right in that for most of the last 2+ decades, that hasnt happened. Maybe it plays out that way again, but I am ok with waiting to see and judging after a few real games.
We KNOW what's here and what's gonna happen. This collection of players have no heart no soul and no balls. This filters down from the owner. And the feckless fatass slob of a HC doesn't help in anyway whatsoever.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They unnecessarily created positions of need when they let Cooper and Collins go for next to nothing. Then they counted on Washington, who's not better than Cedric Wilson, to be the #2 receiver until Gallup got back. Dumb. This is not "bad luck." This is incompetence.
Collins needed to be gone and he just started practicing himself after his usual antics. And the OL did perform better as a unit last yr when Steele played in Collins place after he got hurt.

Cooper you hated with a passion and claimed he was never elite to begin with, so he shouldn't be that hard to replace, right?

In regards to Wilson, the decision didn't come down to him or Washington. It came down to him or Gallup, and Gallup is a lot better player and more talented. We got Gallup on a discount because of the injury, otherwise we might not have been able to keep him (in which case they might have kept Wilson). By the way, I have not heard a peep about Wilson all of preseason and I'm not sure if he has even caught a pass for them yet.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We KNOW what's here and what's gonna happen. This collection of players have no heart no soul and no balls. This filters down from the owner. And the feckless fatass slob of a HC doesn't help in anyway whatsoever.
You may be right again, we shall see. The culture problem goes beyond whomever the coach is because of Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb.

Ultimately I like to see it (actual game play) to believe it before I go off the deep end. I still think the defense is going to be pretty good, maybe even among the best in the league and having a great defense goes a long way towards being competitive and winning games.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Cooper you hated with a passion and claimed he was never elite to begin with, so he shouldn't be that hard to replace, right?
When you save $20M, you better do better than Washington. And Collins, for all his flaws, is better than Steele.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
When you save $20M, you better do better than Washington. And Collins, for all his flaws, is better than Steele.
They paid the QB a ton of money. Sacrifices were going to come because of it.

And even though we got a discount with Gallup, he still got a pretty good amount of money.

I don't agree Collins is better than Steele anymore. Three years ago yeah he was w/o question. But he's clearly a lazy knucklehead and his effort was lousy too many times last yr. He wasn't worth the money he was getting paid at all.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
They paid the QB a ton of money. Sacrifices were going to come because of it.

And even though we got a discount with Gallup, he still got a pretty good amount of money.

I don't agree Collins is better than Steele anymore. Three years ago yeah he was w/o question. But he's clearly a lazy knucklehead and his effort was lousy too many times last yr. He wasn't worth the money he was getting paid at all.
It doesn't matter if you save money if you get worse on the field. Steele had a terrible rookie season and a decent sophomore season. Yes, he's cheaper, but not necessarily better.

Top Bottom