dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like Godwin is likely to miss the start of the season, and we play Tampa in week one.

Chris Godwin injury: Buccaneers don't have timetable for receiver's return from ACL surgery​

Todd Bowles wouldn't commit toward Godwin being ready for training camp​

https://www.cbssports.com/writers/jeff-kerr/

By Jeff Kerr

20 hrs ago•1 min read

Chris Godwin signed a three-year, $60 million contract with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this offseason despite suffering an ACL injury in 2021 that could cost him the start of the 2022 season. Tampa Bay showcased its commitment to Godwin by giving him $20 million a year while he was rehabbing from knee surgery.

The Buccaneers won't be rushing Godwin back into the fold either, as head coach Todd Bowles won't commit if the star receiver will be ready for training camp come July.

"When he's ready to go, he's ready to go. We don't put a timetable on it," Bowles said at Buccaneers minicamp Tuesday. "He's coming along. Obviously, he's better than where he was. But, he's not where he needs to be. He's coming along – he works hard."

Bowles also doesn't have any milestones for Godwin in his recovery, saying he'll reach one when he "gets back on the field." When Godwin does return to the field, the Buccaneers will be adding one of Tom Brady's most potent pass-catchers.

Godwin has averaged 81.9 receiving yards per game since the start of the 2019 season, fourth in the NFL. His 53 catches of 20-plus yards since the start of 2019 are third in the league and his 1,443 yards after the catch are fourth in the NFL. One of the best slot receivers in the game, Godwin has 152 catches (fifth in NFL), 2,082 yards (fourth), and 11 touchdowns (tied for eighth) from the slot for the last three years -- despite missing nine games with injuries.
Godwin finished with 98 catches for 1,103 yards and five touchdowns in just 14 games, his second 1,000-yard season in three years. Godwin's seven receptions per game in 2021 were third in the NFL and 78.8 receiving yards per game were seventh in the league.

The Buccaneers can afford to be patient with Godwin's recovery, signing Russell Gage as an insurance policy until Godwin returns. They also have Mike Evans as the No. 1 wide receiver, with him and Gage as the top two pass-catchers in the interim.

Tampa Bay can make its Super Bowl run when Godwin returns. In the meantime, they'll develop the pass-catchers they have in camp -- mainly Cyril Grayson and Tyler Johnson. Breshad Perriman is also expected to be a contributor until Godwin returns.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i dont know why brady hates tyler johnson so much... i thought he was really good in college, ultra productive, and hoped DAL wouldve drafted him or gotten him as UDFA but iirc tampa took him on day 3

daboyz

NFCE CHAMPIONS 🏆
Reaction score
Listed by whom?

We have the latest four SB participants, plus Tennessee, GB - that's 6 losses right there. There's some other better teams on the schedule too.
Lol. I dare you to lost that on the Zone.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember listening to him tell a story about how he wanted to trade the entire draft for Payton Manning and of course jeri & spawn laughed him out of the room
That would have been one of the few things Lacewell got right then

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
thats awesome, we have some of the youngest losers in the league!
There's been a lot of roster churning the last two seasons. Gives me at least a smidgen of hope that they will do something different in time.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
There's been a lot of roster churning the last two seasons. Gives me at least a smidgen of hope that they will do something different in time.

lol, your continual hope in a jeri & spawn lead team is too good for those buffoons, they dont deserve fans like you and sadly thats what allows them to get away with their nonsense

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
lol, your continual hope in a jeri & spawn lead team is too good for those buffoons, they dont deserve fans like you and sadly thats what allows them to get away with their nonsense
Damnit Yim its the offseason.

Quit trying to rain on my parade before the preseason even gets started.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I remember listening to him tell a story about how he wanted to trade the entire draft for Payton Manning and of course jeri & spawn laughed him out of the room
Most people have forgot, but they WERE close to making a major trade in that draft, and thankfully it didn't happen.

They were pushing the Cardinals to move from 8 to 3 so they could take Andre Wadsworth. In the end they offered their 1st and 2nd that yr (Greg Ellis and Flozelle Adams) as well as their 1st in 1999 (Ebenezer Ekuban) for moving up 5 spots. The Cards apparently were close to accepting and then backed out, and even made the comment to the media "did the Cowboys think we were just going to hand them the Super Bowl?". At the time, that's how good a prospect Wadsworth was considered to be. Of course he had a terrible career, and after only 8 total sacks and 3 seasons, he was out of the league.

For all the grief they get over passing on Randy Moss (which 20 other teams did as well) Ellis and Adams were really good starters for us for a long time. Ekuban had one decent season for us and a couple decent ones elsewhere after he left. But that would have been a terrible trade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom