MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Because you remember seeing him run free through our secondary so often?

That’s absolutely why I want him. No reason though for thinking he was free this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is a list of our current free agents. Which ones do you think we should resign and which ones shouldn’t we resign.

QB Dak Prescott - Franchise Tag
WR Tavon Austin - nope
WR Randall Cobb - resign
WR Amari Cooper - if the price of right, but certainly not for top 5 WR money
TE Jason Witten - nope
C/G Joe Looney - resign
G Xaver Su’a-Filo - don’t care
DT Maliek Collins - resign
DT Christian Covington - don’t care
DL Kerry Hyder - nope
DE Robert Quinn - resign if we can afford him
LB Ray-Ray Armstrong - who?
LB Sean Lee - nope, good luck to ya
LB Justin March - nope
LB Malcolm Smith - nope
LB Joe Thomas - on the cheap
CB Anthony Brown - nope
CB Byron Jones - nope
CB C.J. Goodwin - nope
S Jeff Heath - nope
S Kavon Frazier - nope
S Darian Thompson - nope
K Kai Forbath - make him compete next season for the job
LS L.P. Ladouceur - resign

Free Agent
DL Michael Bennett - if we can get him at a good price

*Restricted Free Agent *
QB Cooper Rush - nope
TE Blake Jarwin - resign for sure
DL Daniel Ross - nope

Exclusive Rights

OL Adam Redmond - nope
DT Antwaun Woods - resign

Club Option
FB Jamize Olawale - nope
OT Cameron Fleming - don’t care

So what are your thoughts on our current free agents??

A lot of people have made a big deal over how many free agents we have, but honestly most of those guys need to be replaced anyway.

Prescott and Cooper are the only must-keeps on that list IMO. Maybe Byron Jones if the new staff thinks he is a really quality starting CB, but I wouldn't break the bank for him. Maliek Collins will probably get more $$$ on the open market than we can pay, but ultimately the final decision on him might be determined by what scheme we run defensively. If we change to a base 3-4 he probably is no longer a fit. Same thing for Robert Quinn. Jeff Heath is only worth resigning if the dollars make sense and then only as a backup (which I am perfectly fine with him as, he would be a really good 3rd/4th safety)

I think Cobb wants to be here and obviously he played a long time for McCarthy anyway, he'll probably stay and we wont have to break the bank to keep him. Looney is great depth on the OL but someone else might overpay if they think he can start for them. Jarwin really cant go anywhere unless we don't qualify him (which I doubt happens). Forbath is worth bringing back to compete for the permanent kicking job, but he wont cost much. LaDouceur we know we can keep for relatively cheap unless he retires.

Everybody else on that list is non-essential and can be replaced through the draft and/or free agency.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A lot of people have made a big deal over how many free agents we have, but honestly most of those guys need to be replaced anyway.

Dbair, do you know ho silly this kind of sounds after we went back and forth about the talent on this team?

Dbair, do you know ho silly this kind of sounds after we went back and forth about the talent on this team? I mean, you made this comment just a couple of days ago. You bipolar?

Everyone keeps saying its a talented roster for a reason, it's because it is.

nickb

Practice Squad
Reaction score
That’s absolutely why I want him. No reason though for thinking he was free this off season.

I think Jarwin needs a massively expanded role in this offense next year
I've heard his blocking is suspect but he add a dynamic element to this offense that I want to see more of
He reminds me a little of Kelce as far as his build and running style.
He didn't see the ball but when he did good things seemed to happen.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think Jarwin needs a massively expanded role in this offense next year
I've heard his blocking is suspect but he add a dynamic element to this offense that I want to see more of
He reminds me a little of Kelce as far as his build and running style.
He didn't see the ball but when he did good things seemed to happen.

In pretty much every WC offense that has ever been successful, the TE has put up great numbers and been a star. Jarwin has shown flashes that he can be that guy. Is Witten the reason he hasn’t consistently shown that? Will Witten be back?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dbair, do you know ho silly this kind of sounds after we went back and forth about the talent on this team?

Dbair, do you know ho silly this kind of sounds after we went back and forth about the talent on this team? I mean, you made this comment just a couple of days ago. You bipolar?

Most of those players are backups and some hardly play. That has little to do with the roster not being talented. There's no question the starting lineup is talented.

I would agree with you that it was a massive stretch for the team to claim this was the deepest team since the Super Bowl teams in the 90's, but those 92/93 teams legitimately DID have backups who could easily start for many other teams. It was a rarity in the league and I honestly don't think any team has come close to that kind of top to bottom talent since.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of those players are backups and some hardly play. That has little to do with the roster not being talented. There's no question the starting lineup is talented.

There are no less than 7/8 starters on that list, maybe more depending on injuries or play, out of 22. Close to half of your starting team. But you're right, they'd probably be back-ups on other teams.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There are no less than 7/8 starters on that list, maybe more depending on injuries or play, out of 22. Close to half of your starting team. But you're right, they'd probably be back-ups on other teams.

I doubt any team in football has 22 starters where at least a couple of them or so cant be upgraded. That doesn't mean a team isn't talented.

Sure if they let the entire list walk that would put a huge dent into the talent level of the team, that's why I pointed out Prescott and Cooper were must keeps, and maybe you think about Byron Jones, Maliek Collins and Robert Quinn, though Collins and Quinn are probably scheme dependent decisions.

Witten and Lee I don't considered uber talented anymore (both were at one time), both need to retire. Randall Cobb is a talented 3rd WR, hopefully we keep him. LaDouceur is one of the best deep snappers in the league, hopefully he doesn't retire too. Bennett is a nice role player but him returning is probably a long shot. Heath needs to be upgraded (so does the other safety spot IMO) but Heath and Woods would both be really good 3rd/4th safeties. I think Jarwin has a chance to be a nice player in McCarthy's scheme, but we can control whether or not he leaves.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure the accuracy of this, but pilfered from a CZ post, for comparisons sake we have 47 players under contract:

San Fran - 48
Chiefs - 46
Texasn - 45
Packers - 42
Seahawks - 41
Titans - 41
Ravens - 41
Vikings - 40

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score

...Byron Jones isn't a huge name outside of Dallas, thanks in part to just two career interceptions. But teams expect the versatile former first-round pick to command $16 million to $18 million a year in free agency, making him the highest-paid defensive back in NFL history.

what in the hootie & the blowfish is this ?? 16-18 ??? highest pai-... ??? sorry homie but seeya later

& the "not a huge name outside dallas thanks to 2 career int's" BURNNNN

Top Bottom