theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
This was Jimmy's 90s Cowboy D out there tonight.
Yeah I was thinking that too except the 90's LBs were more of the run and chase variety, the current LBs are more of the 'you come through my turf and I'll fuck you up" variety, though they can certainly run and chase. As for the D Line yeah like in the 90's there is depth and they are getting to the QB and stuffing the run. Call me crazy but Lawrence is playing every bit as good as Haley did.

spiderfan_MJ

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Alright, well this went nowhere at Bob Hayes level speed, guess it is time for me to go. Again.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Turnovers on defense come naturally to the attack posture. Players not used to seeing the ball out react slow to it. We're not used to seeing the ball available because we haven't been an attack defense like we were tonight.

If you're always in attack posture you get used to ball availability and get conditioned to react well to it.

That's straight out of Jimmy's book.

Looked like a Jimmy D tonight no doubt.

Now if only we could get that Jimmy/Norv/Troy offense :)

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Wow. I actually try to admit my errors and try to play nice and this is the response? I thought I would get more of a "Whatever, dude" but apparently, I'm so deep into your cranium that even after a year, you are still triggered.

Nobody's reading your walls of text, hence why we may have missed your. Alleged mea culpa.

When you cloud it with a wall of shit, that happens.

Brevity, dumbass. Keep it simple stupid.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well, I came after the Cowboys win to admit that my a lot of my takes about the Cowboys were wrong and to try to resolve things. Then my mere presence triggered Dooms.

Spidey whenever you last reared your head I recall Dooms telling you that nobody gets banned here and you had an exagerated sense of self importance. Your problem was when you were asked to defend your takes you couldnt, and you decided to bail, simple as that. BTW that happens all the time in here so.....

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Alright, well this went nowhere at Bob Hayes level speed, guess it is time for me to go. Again.

Yeah, you're not participating in the thread, you're making off topic posts about YOU while adults are talking FOOTBALL.

Fucking idiot. It's not about YOU.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This makes two former Belichick guys super bowl champ players that have taken notice tonight.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Drunken Jerry at it all postgame. Hope nobody on the team listens to anything he says.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Yeah I was thinking that too except the 90's LBs were more of the run and chase variety, the current LBs are more of the 'you come through my turf and I'll fuck you up" variety, though they can certainly run and chase. As for the D Line yeah like in the 90's there is depth and they are getting to the QB and stuffing the run. Call me crazy but Lawrence is playing every bit as good as Haley did.

90S LBs were all about pursuit and ending plays with sure tackling. However I think our current LB personnel are simply better at it than our 90s ones were.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
If I had a dollar for every time someone called me a troll (which is always hilarious) I would have enough money to buy the Cowboys.

Accurate descriptions can be hilarious. That doesn't speak at all to the accuracy. If you're getting called a troll a lot, you're a troll.

And, you are. Everything's gotta be about YOU.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I have no idea what this means. I'm serious.

He's right but he doesn't know it. The team won't be the same one we saw tonight, ever again. Because we'll throw away tonight's defensive game plan and never revisit it. It was a one time thing specifically for Nawlins.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This makes two former Belichick guys super bowl champ players that have taken notice tonight.
We displayed the template for stopping these high powered offenses. It's the same way we snuffed out the "K-Gun" offense of Buffalo in the 90s nobody else could stop. By taking chapters out of Jimmy Johnson's book.

Rest of the league will follow, while we go back to "read and react, bend but not break."

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
What we saw tonight was a DEVIATION from DESPERATION. We knew we wouldn't be winning a shootout, weren't going to hang a fortyburger on them so we DESPERATELY went to what Marinelli and other way over-conservative defensive coordinators call a "kamikaze approach." Which is Jimmy Johnson's core philosophy. ATTACK. EVERY SNAP.

ATTACK with upfield pressure, not this crap of defensive ends looping around the outside. Not the crap of "read and react." ATTACK with pressure up the middle. ATTACK with press coverage not zones or "Tampa 2" shit. Occasional corner blitzes from the offense's left side, not LB blitzes from the left...

ATTACK not "bend but don't break." Was what we did tonight.

Which is anathema to Marinelli and Garret's "risk averse" core philosophy.... That is if they actually have one.

What we saw tonight won't repeat. It was opponent-specific and I had calculated it was the only way we had a chance of winning this game. And I assumed even the most idiot dolt among them must have calculated it too.

They will now pat themselves on the back, talk about how "lucky" they were that this worked, surprised at how well it actually did work, not learn jack shit from it, and sheepishly go back to their crap defensive philosophy.

You read it here first.

MI Cowboy Fan

Spectator
Reaction score
As a rule I have always hated bend but dont break defenses. I love defenses that punch em in the mouth and make em earn every yard. Brees never really looked comfortable tonight and wasnt able to pick up the chunk plays they usually get on a game by game basis. I gotta say (right this second anyway) I am really happy with this defense.

^^^^^ This! J. Smith and LVE played lights out! I mean, 54 was lighting up everybody, and lucky he didn't get a penalty on the hit on Kamara.... But that was how he was playing all night, just whacking people. I think 54 was the game MVP!

How 'bout them phucking cowboys!

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Whatever IT was, it worked. And it worked for 60 minutes.

There have been times (on and off) during a lot of games this year where the defense would look dominant for stretches but eventually lapse back to being average. Last night they kept it going from kickoff till games end though.

I hope it becomes the norm. We definitely have a handful of primo defensive pieces in place.

Top Bottom