MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Other than of course, Troy. How easily people forget the beatings he took in 89, 90, 91 and even 92.

Of course, it would help if they were at least out of diapers, while Troy played through the stompings. They might have some chance to remember what it was like.

I think that's just more proof that David Carr was no where near the player Aikman was coming out of college. In spite of taking a beating for the few games he played his rookie year Aikman had enough intestinal fortitude to bounce back and become a HOF'er. Carr on the other hand ended up being a journeyman backup QB.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I think that's just more proof that David Carr was no where near the player Aikman was coming out of college. I spite of taking a beating for the few games he played his rookie year Aikman was about to have enough intestinal fortitude to bounce back and become a HOF'er. Carr on the other hand ended up being a journeyman backup QB.
Troy had that Don Meredith cussedness. Just a tough kid mentally and physically.

Reaction score
FWIW

2002 No. 1 pick David Carr explains why brother Derek is a better NFL QB

By John Breech | CBSSports.com
July 3, 2015 7:55 pm ET

There aren't many big brothers out there who like to admit that their younger brother is better at something, especially when that something is a sport both are famous for playing.

For instance, you'll probably never hear Peyton Manning admit that Eli's the best quarterback in the Manning family. That's not an issue in the Carr family though because older brother David has no problem admitting that Derek is the better NFL quarterback.

During a recent radio interview with 95.7 The Game in San Francisco, David explained why he expects Derek to have a successful NFL career, something David didn't really have.

"[Derek] understands the game more than I did, so his confidence level is just off the charts," David said, via the Raiders official website. "[His] leadership ability is kind of where I was never at early on in my career. He's able to go out and get guys that are seven, eight years older than him to actually buy in to what he's doing, and believe that he can play, and believe that he can go out and lead the team."

David wasn't exactly able to do that early in his career. The No. 1 overall pick in the 2002 NFL Draft, David spent four unsuccessful seasons in Houston before the Texans gave up on him.

The lack of success wasn't necessarily David's fault though, as a rookie, David was sacked 76 times, which led to 21 fumbles.

If getting sacked 76 times sounds like a lot, it is: No other quarterback was sacked more than 55 times in 2002 and the 76 sacks still stands as an NFL record for most times a quarterback has been sacked in one season.

Derek was only sacked 24 times during his rookie season in 2014, something that was probably helped by the fact that he knows when to get rid of the ball.

"He just has a natural ability to throw the ball, just effortlessly, and it's not really difficult for him," David said. "It literally is effortless for him to throw the football."

Derek has been showing off that effortless throw all offseason and the Raiders will be hoping those effortless throws translate into touchdowns, like they did for this random guy on the beach in April.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
JASON LA CANFORA
CBS Sports NFL Insider

NFL Draft notes: Saints might be eyeing a successor for Drew Brees
April 17, 2016 4:20 pm ET

I'm hearing that the New Orleans Saints could indeed take a quarterback in the first round, and if Carson Wentz is on the board with that 12th-overall selection, perhaps that is where any slide would stop.

In fact, I don't believe they would pass on him there as their quarterback of the future, and some execs maintain the Saints are also in the market to move up for a QB under the right circumstances.

It's no secret that Drew Brees is in the final year of his deal and the buzz in the Saints' building is that the asking price is exceptionally steep. Like plenty north of $20 million. Head coach Sean Payton is all in for the long-term with his new contract extension and he knows as well as anyone the value of having a quarterback.

New Orleans has done a ton of work on quarterbacks in the past few drafts and they don't plan to be picking this high again. This could be their last shot to land a top passer at a cheap price for a long time. I don't see them passing on Wentz if he slides.

As much as Brees has a connection to the team and the city, you can't just assume you get him signed for the next 3-5 years. They need some insurance and who better than Payton to groom a young passer and develop him over time? Sure, the Saints have other needs and yes their division is rapidly improving, but the reason for that is that the Panthers and Bucs now have their young franchise quarterbacks as well.

The Saints' know Brees can't play forever. Especially once the top five or six impact players are gone, the opportunity cost of not getting Wentz could far outweigh the impact of whichever offensive or defensive linemen say the Saints would in fact take with the 12th pick.

A run on quarterbacks late in the first round

There will be a run on quarterbacks starting with the final pick of the first round and running through the second day of the draft.

The Broncos are obviously in the market for a passer with the 31st pick, where Connor Cook or Paxton Lynch could be in play. I continue to hear the Bills are very likely to use a pick at the top of the second round on a passer -- they really like Cardale Jones at a time I don't hear too many good things from other clubs about him -- and that could be the floor for Cook.

The 49ers, Chargers and Cowboys could take quarterbacks atop Round 2 as well -- Dak Prescott's sweet spot, perhaps. I haven't talked to an exec I trust who isn't convinced the Patriots take Navy quarterback Keenan Reynolds -- a slash-type player at the pro level -- at some point in the middle of this draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Pat Kirwin mock for us, 3 rounds.

4. DALLAS: JALEN RAMSEY, DB, FLORIDA STATE
Here’s another team that will see a player unexpectedly drop to them as a result of the Rams trade. We all know how versatile Ramsey is, and the Cowboys need defensive players. ROUND 2: Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State ROUND 3: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Pat Kirwin mock for us, 3 rounds.

Here’s another team that will see a player unexpectedly drop to them as a result of the Rams trade. We all know how versatile Ramsey is, and the Cowboys need defensive players. ROUND 2: Shilique Calhoun, DE, Michigan State ROUND 3: Devontae Booker, RB, Utah.

We'd get a lockdown CB, a left defensive end, and a solid RB. I would be okay with these picks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's the entire Kirwin mock draft:

Kirwan’s 3-Round Mock    

By Pat Kirwan
Published on 04/18/2016

The Rams have executed a very big trade to go from #15 in the first round to #1 overall to take a quarterback. I spoke with Titans GM Jon Robinson and Rams head coach Jeff Fisher. Robinson now has a lot of fire power to move up in this draft, and the Rams believe they can still parlay their picks in this draft to get a few more players. Robinson told me the plan was to maximize the first overall pick, but in the process of doing that, he could easily end up maximizing the 2017 and 2018 drafts off this big move.

It is time to take you through the top three rounds of the draft. In our modern-day NFL game these three rounds have to produce ‘now’ players for their franchises. I do believe the Cleveland Browns will move back multiple times in the first round in an effort to gather as many picks as possible in the first three rounds. Check out my mock draft with Jim Miller at Sirius Radio. I had the Browns and backed them down three times in the first round. Today I will stick to the board and take the players as the board dictates for these rounds.

1. LOS ANGELES: JARED GOFF, QB, CALIFORNIA
Well, the moment of truth is here and I doubt they made this kind of move without knowing which quarterback they are taking. Today, I say it is Goff. The Cal product is the player most ready to start now out of the QB group. Some worry about his small frame and durability. ROUND 2: No Picks. ROUND 3: No Picks

2. CLEVELAND: CARSON WENTZ, QB, NORTH DAKOTA STATE
I think Philadelphia will come up for Wentz, but the Browns should stay in this spot and take him. As one person close to the situation said to me this week, “When you don’t have one, you gotta take one.” ROUND 2: Ryan Kelly, C Alabama ROUND 3: Michael Thomas, WR Ohio State.

3. SAN DIEGO: LAREMY TUNSIL, OT, MISSISSIPPI
The Chargers are so fortunate that the Rams pulled off this trade and let Tunsil fall right in their lap. Rivers can play five more years if the blocking improves. I had an NFL o-line coach tell me Tunsil is the best he’s seen since Walter Jones. ROUND 2: Keanu Neal, FS, Florida ROUND 3: Sterling Shepard, WR, Oklahoma.

5. JACKSONVILLE: MYLES JACK, LB, UCLA
Jack just got a clean bill of health at the medical re-check, and his 40-inch vertical lets you know he’s ready to go. ROUND 2: Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia. ROUND 3: Tyler Matakevich, ILB, Temple.

6. BALTIMORE: DEFOREST BUCKNER, DL, OREGON
The big man is too hard to pass up at this point. The Ravens were built on defense, but in recent years that unit has slipped. ROUND 2: Artie Burns, CB, Miami. ROUND 3: Kamalei Correa, OLB, Boise State.

7. SAN FRANCISCO: SHAQ LAWSON, DE, CLEMSON
If San Francisco stays in this spot, it means Kaepernick is staying. They could also move down and take Paxton Lynch and trade Kaepernick to Denver. Lawson helps a defense that hasn’t been the same without Justin Smith and Aldon Smith. ROUND 2: Nick Martin, G/C, Notre Dame. ROUND 3: Scooby Wright, ILB, Arizona.

8. PHILADELPHIA: EZEKIEL ELLIOTT, RB, OHIO STATE
If the Eagles are able to trade up for a QB, then they obviously don’t make this pick. If they stay put, Elliott is a three-down player and an impact back who will get twenty touches per game. ROUND 2: No Pick. ROUND THREE: Sean Davis, DB, Maryland & Christian Hackenberg, QB, Penn State

9. TAMPA BAY: VERNON HARGREAVES III, CB, FLORIDA
Just watch the 2014 game against Alabama when he covered Amari Cooper and you will know why he should be the Bucs’ choice. ROUND 2: Jonathan Bullard, DL, Florida. ROUND 3: Braylon Addison, WR, Oregon.

10. NY GIANTS: RONNIE STANLEY, LT, NOTRE DAME
Protecting Eli Manning is priority #1 after all the money the team spent to fix the defense. The Giants may have to move up to get Stanley. Tennessee has the fire power to jump back into the top ten ahead of New York and grab Tunsil if he’s a guy they are targeting. ROUND 2: Josh Doctson, WR, TCU. ROUND 3: Miles Killebrew, S, Southern Utah.

11. CHICAGO: JOEY BOSA, DE/OLB, OHIO STATE
I don’t know if this guy is a fit, but he can’t fall much farther. Bosa is a very good football player, but I question how much better will he get, and whether he can be effective as a stand-up pass rusher. ROUND 2: Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas. ROUND 3: Harlan Miller, CB, SE Lousiana.

12. NEW ORLEANS: SHELDON RANKINS, DT, LOUISVILLE
The Saints had the worst defense in the NFL last year. Rankins is a one-gap penetrator who raised his stock at the Senior Bowl. ROUND 2: Vadal Alexander, G/T, LSU. ROUND 3: Jordan Jenkins, LB, Georgia.

13. MIAMI: ROBERT NKEMDICHE, DL, MISSISSIPPI
Time to set up an inside duo with Ndamukong Suh. Nkemdiche is the best athlete on the inside in this draft. He’s a risk pick because he can run a little hot and cold. But the Fish could be hard to block with him next to the big guy. ROUND 2: Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama. ROUND 3: Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina.

14. OAKLAND: NOAH SPENCE, DE/OLB, EASTERN KENTUCKY
Want to be a great pass rushing team and take full advantage of Khalil Mack? Draft Spence and the Raiders just might lead the league in sacks. ROUND 2: Su’a Cravens, LB/S, USC. ROUND 3: Jerald Hawkins, OT, LSU.

15. TENNESSEE: JACK CONKLIN, OT, MICHIGAN STATE
The Titans are in the driver’s seat with this pick, three picks in the second round, and two picks in the third. They might move up in the first round for Ronnie Stanley, but if they stay here, Conklin is a hard-working tough guy who can provide much needed protection for Marcus Mariota. ROUND 2: Vonn Bell, S, Ohio State, Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech & Joshua Perry, LB, Ohio State. ROUND 3: Malik Collins, DT, Nebraska & and trade the other 3rd for a 2nd-rounder in 2017!

16. DETROIT: A’SHAWN ROBINSON, DT, ALABAMA
It’s hard to find big men that move like this guy. Some would say take his teammate Jarron Reed could be the pick here. ROUND 2: Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame. ROUND 3: No Pick

17. ATLANTA: EMMANUEL OGBAH, DE, OKLAHOMA STATE
The FalconS pass rush has been bad for way toO long. Ogbah is a productive player who has 24 sacks in the last two seasons, and the best part is he’s still developing as a player. ROUND 2: Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech. ROUND 3: Spencer Drango, OL, Baylor.

18. INDIANAPOLIS: DARRON LEE, LB, OHIO STATE
The Colts need help on defense and they need to protect Andrew Luck. I’m going to start with Lee, a versatile run and hit player who can cover and play multiple spots. ROUND 2: Cody Whitehair, G/T, Kansas State. ROUND 3: Cyrus Jones, CB, Alabama

19. BUFFALO: JARRAN REED, DT, ALABAMA
They could take a QB like Paxton Lynch in this spot, but their defense has been hurt up front by free agent defections, terminations, and injuries. Reed is a solid and safe pick; an interior player who can anchor, but has more pass rush ability than most people realize. ROUND 2: Tyler Boyd, WR, Pittsburgh. ROUND 3: Roberto Aguayo, PK, Florida State (the Bills missed 6 extra points last season).

20. JETS: PAXTON LYNCH, QB, MEMPHIS
The team could go defense here, or bolster the offensive line, but the long term issue is to find their QB. Even if they sign Brian Hoyer or bring back Fitzpatrick, it’s time to think QB when a guy with this kid’s athleticism and arm talent are staring you in the face, and you don’t have to play him right away. ROUND 2: Kentrell Brothers, ILB, Missouri. ROUND 3: Le’Raven Clark, OT, Texas Tech.

21. WASHINGTON: REGGIE RAGLAND, ILB, ALABAMA
The Redskins could be all defense in the first three rounds because that’s where the value will be for their picks. Ragland is a classic interior LB and a leader for this defense. ROUND 2: Jeremy Cash, S, Duke. ROUND 3: Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame.

22. HOUSTON: LAQUON TREADWELL, WR, MISSISSIPPI
A receiver opposite DeAndre Hopkins would be good for new QB Brock Osweiler. We had expected that Treadwell will go higher than this spot, but his 4.62 forty could be an issue for teams higher in the round. Twenty-one teams’ mistake is the 22nd team’s gain! ROUND 2: Germain Ifedi, G/T, Texas A&M. ROUND 3: CJ Prosise, RB, Notre Dame.

23. MINNESOTA: TAYLOR DECKER, OT, OHIO STATE
Decker would be a solid pick for the right or left side. ROUND 2: Braxton Miller, WR, Ohio State. ROUND 3: Kyler Fackrell, OLB, Utah State.

24. CINCINNATI: COREY COLEMAN, WR, BAYLOR
Coleman is well thought of in Cincinnati and they need a solid player opposite AJ Green. ROUND 2: Kenny Clark, DL, UCLA. ROUND 3: Max Tuerk, C/G/T, USC.

25. PITTSBURGH: ELI APPLE, CB, OHIO STATE
It needs to be all about defense for the Steelers early in this draft. Apple fills a glaring need in the secondary and gives them a big, physical presence out on the edge. ROUND 2: Adolphus Washington, DL, Ohio State. ROUND 3: Darien Thompson, S, Boise State.

26. SEATTLE: JASON SPRIGGS, OT, INDIANA
The Seahawks’ offensive line wasn’t very good last year, and they lost Russell Okung in the offseason. Spriggs is a solid player in the run and pass game and the last true LT remaining after four tackles were already taken off the board. ROUND 2: Joshua Garnett, OG, Stanford. ROUND 3: Willie Henry, DL, Michigan.

27. GREEN BAY: LEONARD FLOYD, OLB, GEORGIA
The Packers live by the draft and they are lucky to have Floyd fall to them here. He’s a versatile guy who can get off the edge and get to the QB. ROUND 2: Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State. ROUND 3: Kyle Murphy, OT, Stanford.

28. KANSAS CITY: MACKENSIE ALEXANDER, CB, CLEMSON
The Chiefs lost Sean Smith in free agency and Alexander has the skills to play right away. He’s dropped on some boards due to lack of production (0 career INT’s at Clemson). ROUND 2: Jalen Mills, S, LSU. ROUND 3: Brandon Allen, QB, Arkansas.

29. ARIZONA: WILLIAM JACKSON, CB, HOUSTON
The Cardinals have been very solid in the draft department, and even though they are low in all three rounds they will find good football players. Jackson has ideal size, length, and speed, and makes plays on the ball. A fast riser in recent weeks. ROUND 2: No Pick. ROUND 3: Austin Hooper, TE, Stanford.

30. CAROLINA: KEVIN DODD, DE, CLEMSON
If the Panthers are going to build on their Super Bowl run, they need pass rushers and people who can block pass rushers. Dodd had a great 2015, but is another late riser with a high ceiling and a knack for getting to the QB (36 ½ plays BLOS in ’15). ROUND 2: Alex Lewis, OT, Nebraska. ROUND 3: Kenneth Dixon, RB, Louisiana Tech.

31. DENVER: CONNOR COOK, QB, MICHIGAN STATE
At this point, there is no Kaepernick trade and they haven’t signed Ryan Fitzpatrick or Brian Hoyer, so the next best thing is to draft Cook – a winner with experience in a pro-style system. ROUND 2: Deion Jones, LB, LSU. ROUND 3: Charles Tapper, DE, Oklahoma.

32. ***NEW ENGLAND: NO PICK
The Patriots lost their #1 in the Deflategate scandal, but they have two second round choices that they could parlay into a higher pick if a player that they like begins to fall. I think they’ll be looking for hybrid type players in the front seven who can adapt and produce in their multiple system. ROUND 2: Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State & Jihad Ward, DE, Illinois. ROUND 3: Erik Striker, LB, Oklahoma.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We'd get a lockdown CB, a left defensive end, and a solid RB. I would be okay with these picks.

Shilique Calhoun has kinda been the forgotten man. There was a lot of talk about him before this year started, the buzz seemed to fade some but he's a really solid player.

34 seems a little early to me for him, but I do like the player.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
By Geoffrey C. Arnold | The Oregonian/OregonLive
Follow on Twitter
on April 18, 2016 at 7:45 AM, updated April 18, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Chip Kelly, 49ers to trade up to No. 4 in 2016 NFL draft, select QB Carson Wentz: Report

Chip Kelly and the San Francisco 49ers may have figured out a way to select a quarterback in the 2016 NFL Draft.

The 49ers will make a trade with the Dallas Cowboys and move up to the fourth overall position and select North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz, according to a report.

Currently, the 49ers possess the seventh overall pick of the draft. Quarterback Colin Kaepernick participated in the team's offseason training program, but his status is uncertain. He may be traded or he may remain with the team. Blaine Gabbert is also on the roster, but there is some speculation the 49ers want to select a quarterback to groom for the future.

The 49ers probably felt fairly confident either Wentz or Jared Goff would be available at the seventh pick. However, the Los Angeles Rams swooped in and completed a trade with the Tennessee Titans to acquire the top overall pick. The Rams are expected to select either Wentz or Goff with the top pick.

The trade upset the 49ers potential plans. Now, just one quarterback will be available after the Rams make their choice. The Cleveland Browns could pick the leftover quarterback with the second pick, but they signed Robert Griffin III and are reportedly looking to trade down to acquire more draft picks.

The San Diego Chargers have Philip Rivers and aren't interested in drafting a quarterback with the third overall pick. The Cowboys are the wild card with the fourth pick. They need a quarterback - they reportedly conducted a private workout with Goff Saturday - but they may opt to wait until the second round to select a quarterback and could be willing to swap first-round picks with the 49ers.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Going from 4 to 7 is worth 300 pts on the chart I am looking at.

SF's 3rd is worth 250, they'd have to throw in their 4th or 5th. the 3rd+ 4th would make us come out slightly ahead, the 3rd+ 5th would have us slightly losing.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Going from 4 to 7 is worth 300 pts on the chart I am looking at.

SF's 3rd is worth 250, they'd have to throw in their 4th or 5th. the 3rd+ 4th would make us come out slightly ahead, the 3rd+ 5th would have us slightly losing.

Are you using the same adjusted-chart that the Cowboys have adopted which includes the mathematical formula that factors Jerry losing on every trade?

1800 points = 4th overall pick
minus
1500 points = 7th overall pick
minus
500 points for Buffoon Tax

equals

we end up sending the 49ers a 4th round pick for us to move down.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Bosa at 11. sounds right.

seriously doubt Wentz is still there at 4. either Cleveland takes him or someone else does via trade.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Are you using the same adjusted-chart that the Cowboys have adopted which includes the mathematical formula that factors Jerry losing on every trade?

1800 points = 4th overall pick
minus
1500 points = 7th overall pick
minus
500 points for Buffoon Tax

equals

we end up sending the 49ers a 4th round pick for us to move down.

I think we're trading them Kellen Moore and Jeff Heath for the #7 overall, straight up.

I spoke to my guy about this, he really didn't want me to put it out there because its not something all should be privy to yet.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Mosley says he hears there is real division among the Cowboys scouting ranks on dbair's boy Cook. Says some think he's worth about a second rounder, some wouldn't take him at all.

This is exactly where the "Jerry just takes orders" fails. He breaks ties. So when there's this big a disparity, who does he side with?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Mosley says he hears there is real division among the Cowboys scouting ranks on dbair's boy Cook. Says some think he's worth about a second rounder, some wouldn't take him at all.

This is exactly where the "Jerry just takes orders" fails. He breaks ties. So when there's this big a disparity, who does he side with?

I don't think it matters. I bet he goes before we pick at 34 anyway.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Definitely not good news for Jack is this is true:

Report: Myles Jack has 'bone and cartilage starting to break away'

One of the most dynamic players on tape leading into the 2016 NFL Draft, Myles Jack out of UCLA, could see his stock tumble in relation to his knee.

Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Daily News reports the electric playmaker’s knee has “bone and cartilage starting to break away” already, with his source calling Jack “a time bomb.”

This report falls in line with what Dane Brugler of CBS Sports noted last week after Jack went through with his medical recheck:

Once considered a lock as a top-five pick, this news will give teams picking anywhere in the top of Round 1 pause. Of further concern is the fact that Jack is not running a 40-yard dash for teams this year, even though at this stage in his recovery he should have been able to bust one out with no worries.

Heck, if every team is hearing the same thing about his knee, he could fall out of the first round altogether. That isn’t likely to happen, given his body of work at UCLA and his freakish athleticism. But it’s also not out of the question.

Jack, if healthy, is a prototypical new-era NFL linebacker. He can cover running backs and tight ends better than they could cover themselves, can drop into the deep middle in a zone, and attacks the line of scrimmage with the instincts and fervor of a tiger striking its prey.

These traits have teams drooling about plugging him in from Day 1 as a starter who can make an instant impact. But if his knee isn’t going to hold up, it’s hard to know how teams would value such a risky pick.

Draft currency isn’t cheap. Every team wants its first-round pick to play for a decade-plus and halfway expects it to happen. Players who can’t give teams a reasonable expectations of their ability to be that guy typically find their stock take a huge hit.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Really really hate the idea of Zeke Elliot going to Philadelphia, where we'd have to face him twice a year minimum..

Top Bottom