MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
So cmd will like this... on the 10-Noon show on the Ticket today, Donovan and Mike Sirois had on a scout (forgot his name) who made the "prediction" that the Browns would take Wentz and we would take Goff.

I want the Boys to draft Wentz but I would be extremely happy if that happen. I'd also be happy if they ended up with Lynch. I think with 2 years of learning behind Romo any one of those three guys will be successful.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So cmd will like this... on the 10-Noon show on the Ticket today, Donovan and Mike Sirois had on a scout (forgot his name) who made the "prediction" that the Browns would take Wentz and we would take Goff.

I like it too.

Let me guess, they were coming at it from the angle of Wentz having a stronger arm and being used to playing in bad winter weather, so the Browns would go with him?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
On NFL Network's ticker this morning I saw Maylock's mock (I think it's Maylock) has Wentz going to Dallas at #4.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I like it too.

Let me guess, they were coming at it from the angle of Wentz having a stronger arm and being used to playing in bad winter weather, so the Browns would go with him?

well the browns had reasons for the dozen or so QBs they have picked over the last 20 years that have all failed since cutting Bernie Kosar.

Reaction score
I like it too.

That was some of it. I think the guy thought Wentz would look better at the combine too. More prototypical size... Really, the only thing holding people back on Wentz is his school.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That was some of it. I think the guy thought Wentz would look better at the combine too. More prototypical size... Really, the only thing holding people back on Wentz is his school.

Agreed. If he had gone to a big school there wouldn't be any question that he'd be the #1 QB on the board. He has ideal size, arm strength, athleticism, and intelligence to be a success in the NFL. The combine is only going to emphasize that.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
North Dakota State might as well be a D1 school. 5 straight national championships and regular season wins over Colorado State, Kansas State, and Iowa State the past few years. They have Oregon on the schedule in 2020.

I like Wentz, he has the size and physical tools I want in a quarterback. I even tried to get to Frisco for the National Championship when I was in Texas for the coaches convention (the game was sold out). I just don't see him as a player deserving of the 4th overall pick. I'm very curious to see how he looks at the Combine going against Goff, Lynch, Cook, Hackenberg, and others. He was by far the top QB prospect going into the Senior Bowl, had a good week of practice, and then did not really standout in the game. I just need to see more before I'm ready to say he's the pick.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
North Dakota State might as well be a D1 school. 5 straight national championships and regular season wins over Colorado State, Kansas State, and Iowa State the past few years. They have Oregon on the schedule in 2020.

I like Wentz, he has the size and physical tools I want in a quarterback. I even tried to get to Frisco for the National Championship when I was in Texas for the coaches convention (the game was sold out). I just don't see him as a player deserving of the 4th overall pick. I'm very curious to see how he looks at the Combine going against Goff, Lynch, Cook, Hackenberg, and others. He was by far the top QB prospect going into the Senior Bowl, had a good week of practice, and then did not really standout in the game. I just need to see more before I'm ready to say he's the pick.

I didn't get to watch the Senior Bowl live but I'm watching it right now and Wentz arm strength is apparent. He's also pretty good at looking off the safety. His numbers would have looked better if not for a couple drops, one on 3rd down. It's also very apparent that Garrett and his coaching staff played too conservative (big surprise).

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm very curious to see how he looks at the Combine going against Goff, Lynch, Cook, Hackenberg, and others. He was by far the top QB prospect going into the Senior Bowl, had a good week of practice, and then did not really standout in the game. I just need to see more before I'm ready to say he's the pick.

How the hell is anyone going to stand out in Garrett's system? Fly route to the X, option route to the TE, comeback by Y or a variation of the three. Occasional bubble screen. Occasional seam route. That's effing it.

No combination routes, slants are like poison, crossing routes are a rarity, no other support.

And your comment about the Combine puzzles me. What is throwing against air going to do for you?

If you think Goff or Lynch will even go is a little funny. They are going to do the Pro Day thing. Hackenberg throwing against air wouldn't impress me a bit because if you think Wentz had a tough time handling a rush, wait until you get a load of that guy.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
How the hell is anyone going to stand out in Garrett's system? Fly route to the X, option route to the TE, comeback by Y or a variation of the three. Occasional bubble screen. Occasional seam route. That's effing it.

No combination routes, slants are like poison, crossing routes are a rarity, no other support.

And your comment about the Combine puzzles me. What is throwing against air going to do for you?

If you think Goff or Lynch will even go is a little funny. They are going to do the Pro Day thing. Hackenberg throwing against air wouldn't impress me a bit because if you think Wentz had a tough time handling a rush, wait until you get a load of that guy.

Hey if any of these guys can throw a mean bubble screen, he just might be our guy.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Oh no, I'm not grading down Wentz for not standing out in Garrett's offense. I'm just stating that despite everyone's admiration of him, he did not stand out.

It is very possible Lynch or Goff won't throw. I'm hoping they are competitive enough to throw. I would think after Went'z week at the Senior Bowl, their agents will advise them to throw. As far as throwing on air, I think the Combine does a much better job of the Senior Bowl of getting QB's to make every type of and multiple throws.

I also wasn't saying Cook or Hackenberg are better. I just want to see Wentz go through the drills against those guys... so we can see how their footwork, arm strength, release, etc. compare.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Oh no, I'm not grading down Wentz for not standing out in Garrett's offense. I'm just stating that despite everyone's admiration of him, he did not stand out.

It is very possible Lynch or Goff won't throw. I'm hoping they are competitive enough to throw. I would think after Went'z week at the Senior Bowl, their agents will advise them to throw. As far as throwing on air, I think the Combine does a much better job of the Senior Bowl of getting QB's to make every type of and multiple throws.

I also wasn't saying Cook or Hackenberg are better. I just want to see Wentz go through the drills against those guys... so we can see how their footwork, arm strength, release, etc. compare.

I think Cook really needs to throw at the Combine. I thought he should have gone to the Senior Bowl to show that he's as good or better than Wentz. It's so early in the process though that not playing shouldn't hurt him. I think not throwing at the Combine could drop him by at least a round though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

CMD, if he is a "franchise QB" he's well worth the 4th overall pick. Any of those top QB's would be if the scouts and coaches believe the guy has all the tools to be a high quality starter for a long time.

He certainly seems to check all the boxes with physical tools. Size, strength, quality athletic ability. He's posted strong numbers. He's been the leader on a championship team. He also by all accounts possesses the intangibles that people look for in the QB position. Smarts, work ethic. He isn't a prima donna. Isnt into drugs or other off the field garbage.

I'd definitely be happy if we ended up with him, although I'd like Goff and Lynch too. I also am not as down as some are on Cook, although he obviously has some questions he will have to answer at the combine and private visits to re-affirm his position in the draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think Cook really needs to throw at the Combine. I thought he should have gone to the Senior Bowl to show that he's as good or better than Wentz. It's so early in the process though that not playing shouldn't hurt him. I think not throwing at the Combine could drop him by at least a round though.

I read somewhere over the weekend that Cook intends to workout fully at the combine.

Top Bottom