cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't know that Tennessee traded away from Tunsill. It was more of getting a great package of picks that will help a franchise rebuild quicker (see Jimmy Johnson, Herschel Walker trade).

Tennessee might be ready to jump back up some and snag Tunsil or Ronnie Stanley. Plus, they have recent 1st round pick Taylor Lewan, so they aren't super desperate for a LT.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I would imagine if they were stuck at 4, Tunsil is the only player on their board worthy of that pick, and no one will give up anything reasonable to move up, you'd have to take him and then trade or release Free. I know it's overkill but that would be the greatest O Line of all time.

if that scenario happens maybe Tennessee would jump back up, but my guess is that Jerry gets beat in the deal.

Haha, Jerry gets confused and thinks he's the one that has to throw in a 2nd to make the trade work.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like Tunsil and think he's gonna be a good one but there's a thing called the salary cap. Can't dump it all into the oline. I'm a big advocate of building up the trenches but Tunsil is overkill. Gotta fix this defense more than that RT spot. Anything happens to Free then Collins or Martin can kick out and Leary steps in at guard. Fix the defense already..

Also, it's a mixed opinion who the best player in this draft is. The Titans, who allowed the most sacks last year if I remember right, traded away from Tunsil. He's not the unanimous best player in this draft that some are making him out to be.

I disagree, I don't know anyone that hasn't said Tunsil is without a doubt the best player (and safest pick) in the draft. Ramsey is the best athlete but he has his flaw too. The only other player even mention in the same sentence as Tunsil as the best player is Myles Jack and he has an injury concern. There may be 1 or 2 mocks out there that have Ramsey going #1 but make no mistake Tunsil is the best player in this draft.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
as regards taking tunsil:

only an idiot could not see how much better he is then Free; and free is steadily deteriorating physically. How long before he is a POS?

Green has shown nothing except a tendency to get injured.

we have nothing else at tackle. Anyone thinking that Martin or Collins could be pro bowl at RT are dreaming their feet are just not that good. Only a moron would move an ALL PRO anyway; and Collings was really coming on late in the year as well. You do not move people like that unless you have no choice at all.

Now if we have Tunsil sitting there at our pick we MIGHT get a real good offer; and if we do not then you take the player that most so called draft experts called the safest and best pick in this draft.
Free is going to be gone soon and be less than good playing anyway. IF we were to take Tunsil, then we have Free this year as the backup and can bring Green along slowly to be the swing tackle.

An all world O line that has no weaknesses to exploit- a night mare for DC's.

And this as well: Jerruh has got to want to protect Tony as much as possible and this would do that.

Tunsil at 4 for us= MONUMENTAL WASTE OF RESOURCES

Period. End of discussion.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I think if Tunsil is there you HAVE to seriously consider taking him. Pretty much all off season he has been the consensus #1 player in the draft. If they are stilling there at 4 and the best player in their board falls to them they have to consider taking him. Obviously you try to trade out but if you can't get what you want for the pick you almost have to take him. Is it a bit of overkill? Of course it is, but the teams that succeed almost always take best player available instead of drafting for need and passing on a potentially great player. Drafting for need is how you end up passing on a HOF player for Greg Ellis.

So if the BPA at 34 is another OL, do you take one there too?

Seriously, other than taking a fullback, kicker or punter, there is no worse use of the 4th pick overall for us than Tunsil. Every other position on the field, whether its QB, RB, WR, DL, LB, DB is a bigger area of concern than RT.

And they "didn't draft for need" with Ellis. They passed on Moss because of the off the field baggage and figured coming to Dallas would be the ultimate train wreck for his career.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Tunsil would fill a need. We are going to need to replace Free soon, and if you want to extend Free's career... make him a swing tackle. That'd be a sick line that is already sick.

and wouldn't help us win any more football games

we already have a great OL...

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I would imagine if they were stuck at 4, Tunsil is the only player on their board worthy of that pick, and no one will give up anything reasonable to move up, you'd have to take him and then trade or release Free. I know it's overkill but that would be the greatest O Line of all time.

if that scenario happens maybe Tennessee would jump back up, but my guess is that Jerry gets beat in the deal.

There is no way there arnt other players at 4 worthy of that pick for us. Tunsil is not THAT elite of a prospect to make us ignore the multitude of other areas of this team dying for help. If Tunsil WERE that good, there's no way in hell the three teams picking ahead of us (all with OL's nowhere near as good as ours today) would pass on him either.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I like Tunsil and think he's gonna be a good one but there's a thing called the salary cap. Can't dump it all into the oline. I'm a big advocate of building up the trenches but Tunsil is overkill. Gotta fix this defense more than that RT spot. Anything happens to Free then Collins or Martin can kick out and Leary steps in at guard. Fix the defense already..

Also, it's a mixed opinion who the best player in this draft is. The Titans, who allowed the most sacks last year if I remember right, traded away from Tunsil. He's not the unanimous best player in this draft that some are making him out to be.

Bingo

The Titans and Browns ranked 1-2 in the NFL last yr in sacks allowed, and San Diego's OL has been a train wreck for two years and they ranked dead last in the league in yds per rush last yr. The Niners and Jaguars ranked tied for 2nd and 4th respectively in sacks allowed too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't know that Tennessee traded away from Tunsill. It was more of getting a great package of picks that will help a franchise rebuild quicker (see Jimmy Johnson, Herschel Walker trade).

Tennessee might be ready to jump back up some and snag Tunsil or Ronnie Stanley. Plus, they have recent 1st round pick Taylor Lewan, so they aren't super desperate for a LT.

So they arnt desperate for a LT despite ranking dead last in sacks allowed, but we should draft that same guy to play RT at 4 here?

Makes zero sense dude.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I disagree, I don't know anyone that hasn't said Tunsil is without a doubt the best player (and safest pick) in the draft. Ramsey is the best athlete but he has his flaw too. The only other player even mention in the same sentence as Tunsil as the best player is Myles Jack and he has an injury concern. There may be 1 or 2 mocks out there that have Ramsey going #1 but make no mistake Tunsil is the best player in this draft.

Yeah, sorry but not sold.

If Tunsil is that good, he wont be available for us to consider at 4 anyway. And good riddance.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
^^^You should be able to find a solid 4th/5th guy for your line on the cheap.

Yep. If you arnt comfortable that Green can at least compete for the swing tackle job this yr or push Free for the starting RT job, draft a guy in the middle rounds or maybe go the free agency route and pick up a vet on the cheap.

Wasting the 4th pick overall on a guy to play RT when you already have an amazing OL just seems like something a bunch of stoned people would think of.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Jalen Ramsey names Cowboys first among most interested teams

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Jalen Ramsey wants everybody to know he believes he is a cornerback. The Dallas Cowboys just so happen to need cornerback help and hold the fourth overall pick.

“I definitely see myself as a corner, but I can play safety or the nickel role,” Ramsey said on a conference call with NFL Nation reporters Thursday.

While Ramsey is viewed as one of the best players in the draft, the lack of interceptions in his career has some troubled. He had only three at Florida State.

“Just the simple answer is I wasn’t tried much, first of all,” Ramsey said, “and second of all, I dropped a couple. That was it.”

The Cowboys have options on the roster at cornerback, but Ramsey would be a boost. The Cowboys re-signed Morris Claiborne to a one-year deal early in free agency. They have Orlando Scandrick, who missed last season with a knee injury. They also have Brandon Carr, but with a $13.8-million cap figure, his future on the team is not assured.

The Cowboys were the first team he mentioned when asked which teams have shown the most interest. He also mentioned the San Diego Chargers, Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens. He said the Cleveland Browns, who have the No. 2 overall pick, only recently had him on the phone.

Ramsey was among the visitors to Valley Ranch for a pre-draft visit. He had dinner with executive vice president Stephen Jones and others at AT&T Stadium and met the following day with owner and general manager Jerry Jones, coach Jason Garrett and secondary coaches Joe Baker and Greg Jackson.

“It was a really good day,” Ramsey said. “I got to watch a little bit of film, talk to them and get comfortable with the surroundings there because that’s a possibility where I’ll end up.”

Because of his position flexibility, Ramsey said he has studied multiple corners, such as Patrick Peterson and Darrelle Revis, and safeties, such as Eric Berry and Earl Thomas.

“It’s not hard because I’ve done it,” he said of moving positions. “I’m used to it. My mindset doesn’t change. It kind of gives me a better perspective when I am moving so when I’m at corner I know what I would want at safety and I know how at safety how to help because I’ve played both positions.”

As far as being the No. 1 pick, Ramsey did not seem too concerned about the Los Angeles Rams’ trade up to No. 1 overall on Thursday and how it might affect his draft stock. Most believe the Rams’ bold move up from No. 15 overall to No. 1 is with the idea they will take a quarterback, either Carson Wentz or Jared Goff.

Regardless of what the Rams do, Ramsey still believes he is the best player available.

“Yeah, 100 percent. Why wouldn’t I? That trade doesn’t affect the player I am,” Ramsey said. “I still feel like I’m the best player in the draft. I didn’t realize the Rams like me that much. So if they want the best player in the draft, then they'll get him.”

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dane Brugler 7 rd mock for us. Hate the Prescott pick, but the rest (especially 4 of first 5) looks pretty good.

4. Jalen Ramsey, CB/S - Florida St.

34. Karl Joseph, S - West Virginia

67. Tyler Boyd, WR - Pittsburgh

101. Dak Prescott, QB - Mississippi State

135. Jonathan Williams, RB - Arkansas

189. Joe Thuney, OL - N.C. State

212. David Perkins, DE/OLB - Illinois State

216. Cory James, LB - Colorado State

217. Greg Milhouse, DT - Campbell

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There is no way there arnt other players at 4 worthy of that pick for us. Tunsil is not THAT elite of a prospect to make us ignore the multitude of other areas of this team dying for help. If Tunsil WERE that good, there's no way in hell the three teams picking ahead of us (all with OL's nowhere near as good as ours today) would pass on him either.

Sure they could.

The Rams are clearly going QB.
The Browns will probably go QB.
Let's say Jalen Ramsey is the clear cut #1 player on San Diego's board (which he supposedly is for many teams, including us).

We're sitting there looking at Tunsill, who is #1 on quite a few team's boards as well.

I try like hell to trade down there but teams will know we are desperate to move down and also know that Jerry is a repeat traderape victim.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dane Brugler 7 rd mock for us. Hate the Prescott pick, but the rest (especially 4 of first 5) looks pretty good.

4. Jalen Ramsey, CB/S - Florida St.

34. Karl Joseph, S - West Virginia

67. Tyler Boyd, WR - Pittsburgh

101. Dak Prescott, QB - Mississippi State

135. Jonathan Williams, RB - Arkansas

189. Joe Thuney, OL - N.C. State

212. David Perkins, DE/OLB - Illinois State

216. Cory James, LB - Colorado State

217. Greg Milhouse, DT - Campbell

A whole lot of garbage and nothing after the first 3 picks.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
A whole lot of garbage and nothing after the first 3 picks.

I don't know anything about Thuney, Perkins and James but have read quite about Milhouse, seems a lot of teams like him late.

J Williams if healthy would be a nice get at the end of the 4th rd.

I'm not the biggest fan of taking Ramsey at 4, but if our first two picks were Ramsey and Joseph to add to Byron Jones and our other guys, our secondary wouldn't be far off from being pretty damn strong.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
QBs going 1-2 should push a player down to us that we didn't expect to be there, so if we still go with Bosa at #4, I will pull down Bob's pants, play with his dick until it gets hard and then shove it up Dbair's ass. :tiptoe

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sure they could.

The Rams are clearly going QB.
The Browns will probably go QB.
Let's say Jalen Ramsey is the clear cut #1 player on San Diego's board (which he supposedly is for many teams, including us).

We're sitting there looking at Tunsill, who is #1 on quite a few team's boards as well.

I try like hell to trade down there but teams will know we are desperate to move down and also know that Jerry is a repeat traderape victim.

I don't care if he is #1, I'm saying he isn't THAT much higher rated than whomever we might have at 2-3-4-5 whatever, at some other position of more obvious need. The Rams, Browns and Chargers all have OL's that are nowhere near as good as ours, why would they pass on a prospect THAT strong at an obvious area of need for them?

Maybe Tunsil would have a grade higher on our board than Bosa, Zeke Elliott, Buckner, Jack or even Lynch, but any of those 5 guys would probably be a lot a better pick for us at 4 than Tunsil. Unless Tyron Smith loses a leg and cant play football anymore, Tunsil doesn't have any value here IMO at all.

Top Bottom