NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Just last August he signed a 4 year extension. Signed thru 2019. He's 34..

Maybe it's a year too soon... Gotta think they'd at least consider it tho.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't SD just extend Rivers too?

EDIT: 4 yrs, 83 mil just this past offseason. Dead cap hits of 18 m in 2016 and 13.5 m in 2017 if he's cut. Goes down to 9 m in 2018 and 4.5 m in 2019.

Plus, he'll only be 34 next season.

San Diego and Tenn both might be trade down potentials in this draft

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep... and if Jerry gets the feeling that his guy will get snapped up, he'll pay more than anyone to move up.

I doubt it. He hasn't been a full blown idiot when it comes to draft stuff in a few years, seems he listens more now than he did pre-Parcells/post Jimmy.

Even the Claiborne thing (which has been bad) he admitted they did in part because the cost to move up was so cheap compared to what the real value of the move should have been. (Rams people admitted they took far less than market value because of what the Skins had given them)

That said, if the scouts are 100% sold on one of these QB's being a franchise QB, if they have the chance to ensure they get one they'd be foolish not to.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Excuse after excuse from you.

Jerry's not that bad, the Claiborne trade was so cheap of course we had to do it. Bad move after bad move and you keep trying to justify it. Other teams make the same mistakes, Other coaches are just as bad as Jason Garrett.... We are (or at least we were ) THE Dallas Cowboys, perennial contenders. Now, we've gone 20 years without competing for or sniffing a Super Bowl. Still more excuses.

Don't you ever get sick of it?

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Id actually be against a trade up. We need those picks. Take the best available defensive player if you have to. Not the end of the world if we don't get one of those QBs in my mind.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Id actually be against a trade up. We need those picks. Take the best available defensive player if you have to. Not the end of the world if we don't get one of those QBs in my mind.

I am not on the side of "we have to get a QB in the first" argument, but I do think we have to use a fairly early pick on a QB to develop.

When you haven't drafted a QB in the first round since 1989 (when we actually drafted two, Aikman and Walsh in sup draft) and only one in the 2nd (a guy that never should have been picked there anyway) its time to start using some resources on the position. Jerry is an idiot if he truly believes Romo has 3-5 GOOD years left in him. Unfortunately Romo is at the point where he could jack his back up one more time and be done, and honestly it could happen at anytime. Maybe not even on the football field.

Reaction score
I do think we need another WR badly, but not at 4. Treadwell isn't the fastest guy. You take a WR that high, he better have it all.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
agreed. there are other positions that are crying needs. if Carr or Claiborne are still in their plans next year, I will lose it.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Henry leaves Arkansas as clear-cut top TE in 2016 NFL Draft

By Derek Harper | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

January 4, 2016 1:25 pm ET

Arkansas Razorbacks tight end Hunter Henry announced Monday that he will skip his senior season and enter the 2016 NFL Draft, where he will be joined by junior teammate offensive tackle Denver Kirkland.

Henry is the top-rated draft-eligible tight end by NFLDraftScout.com and projected as a solid second round pick. The 6-foot-5, 253-pound All-American is a receiving tight end who lined up primarily in the slot and wasn't asked to block much for the Razorbacks. He is a big, fluid athlete who creates mismatches against linebackers and safeties and is too strong for cornerbacks.

"His athletic skill-set, which shows in his routes and after the catch, and reliability finishing catches will make him a highly sought after prospect," said NFLDraftScout.com analyst Dane Brugler.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If we don't take one in round one, I'm definitely open to him in 2nd/3rd rd

NFL opinions split on Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 2, 2016 8:05 pm ET

Penn State junior quarterback Christian Hackenberg made it official on Saturday, announcing his intentions to enter the 2016 NFL Draft. He is physically gifted, but wildly inconsistent, which makes his NFL projection a fervently debated mystery.

Some NFL scouts are encouraged by his pro upside. Others think he is already damaged goods. And others are still unsure what to make of Hackenberg at the next level.

“Hack is an enigma,” said one AFC scout. “He has a power arm, but his hose doesn't have much direction. I'd love for our coaches to work with him. He's a good kid, but what's his value? He probably goes in the first round with those skills. He'll light it up in shorts.”

NFLDraftScout.com currently ranks Hackenberg as the No. 7 draft-eligible quarterback, although his upside will push him up the draft board for some teams.

A three-year starter, Hackenberg had a promising freshman campaign in 2013 under the guidance of Bill O'Brien, but his development regressed with the new coaching staff the past two seasons. He didn't receive much help from his surroundings with questionable play-calling, inconsistent weapons and a leaky offensive line, but Hackenberg deserves plenty of blame as well. He has special arm talent, but the tape shows flawed decision-making, poor pocket presence and streaky accuracy due to unstable mechanics.

There is no question that Hackenberg will benefit from NFL coaching and probably made the correct decision to leave Penn State now. But the game still moves at light speed for him and hasn't show signs of slowing down. Overall, his physical traits, toughness and arm strength are ideal for the NFL, but Hackenberg's deficiencies with his touch, placement and decision-making create strong doubt regarding his NFL future.

So while the tape shows a mid-round draft pick, his upside will put Hackenberg in the top-50 picks, and possibly even the first round, like the scout suggested.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Irish receiver Will Fuller changes his mind, will enter NFL Draft

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

January 3, 2016 3:16 pm ET

After initially telling reporters that he would return to South Bend for his senior season, Notre Dame junior wide receiver Will Fuller had a change of heart and announced on Sunday that he will enter the 2016 NFL Draft.

“My heart truly wanted to return to Notre Dame, but it has also been a lifelong dream to play football in the NFL,” Fuller said in statement he posted on Twitter. “After taking all of this into lengthy consideration, I believe it is in my best interest to forgo my senior season and enter the 2016 NFL Draft.”

Fuller is currently rated as the No. 4 draft-eligible wide receiver in the 2016 class by NFLDraftScout.com. He is considered a late first round or early second round pick.

One of the best deep threats in college football the past two years, Fuller finished the 2015 season with 62 catches for 1,258 receiving yards and 14 touchdowns, averaging 20.3 yards per catch. He leaves the Irish ranked second in school history with 30 career touchdown grabs.

Fuller has speed to stretch the field and his best trait is his ability to create separation late in his route, saving a little something for when the ball is in the air, using late burst that most corners can't match. He is a smooth accelerator in his routes, going from zero-to-60 in a flash and showing multiple gears to gain a step on defenders. Fuller is fantastic at tracking the deep ball and going and get it.

With ordinary size and build, Fuller can knocked off his route and his lack of strength really shows in contested situations. He has smaller hands and his focus runs hot-and-cold, leading to too many dropped passes. Fuller is a big-time playmaker, especially as a vertical threat, but teams will need to stomach his occasional lapses in concentration early in his career.

Overall, Fuller compares favorably to New York Jets wide receiver Devin Smith, who was drafted 37th overall in the 2015 class. Like Smith, Fuller is an above average vertical threat with top-shelf speed and tracking skills, but inconsistent as an underneath receiver and will need time to become more well-rounded.

Reaction score
It seems in recent memory that about this time, players people assume will be top ten picks won't be come April (see DeMontre Moore of Daquan Bowers for example).

Likewise players pegged as second rounders at this point will be drafted much sooner. See our own Tyron Smith for example.

With that said... I wonder which players is fans and internet scouts have pegged wrong at this point.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Leigh Steinberg, the former king of NFL QB's agent has signed Memphis QB Paxton Lynch.

Steinberg was Aikman's longtime agent when we picked him too.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It seems in recent memory that about this time, players people assume will be top ten picks won't be come April (see DeMontre Moore of Daquan Bowers for example).

Likewise players pegged as second rounders at this point will be drafted much sooner. See our own Tyron Smith for example.

With that said... I wonder which players is fans and internet scouts have pegged wrong at this point.

Just last year, Randy Gregory was a top 5 (internet) pick all season long. It happens every year. Also, someone none of us are talking about right now will go 1st round.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
List is missing some who declared today.

Player POS School Class
Robert Nkemdiche DT Mississippi JR
Ronnie Stanley OT Notre Dame JR
Vernon Hargreaves CB Florida JR
Kenny Clark DT UCLA JR
Zeke Elliott RB Ohio State JR
Shaq Lawson DE Clemson JR
Myles Jack LB UCLA JR
Corey Coleman WR Baylor JR
Leonard Floyd LB Georgia JR
Germaine Ifedi G/T Texas A&MJR
Kendall Fulle rCB Virginia Tech JR