dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
U of Maryland junior outside linebacker Yannick Ngakoue has piqued the Texans' interest and did a private workout for linebackers coach Mike Vrabel, according to a source not authorized to speak publicly.

Ngakoue is a classic tweener pass rusher who's had private workouts for the Indianapolis Colts, New Orleans Saints and Dallas Cowboys. The All-Big Ten Conference selection also has drawn heavy interest from the Tennessee Titans and several other NFL teams.

Ngakoue is now positioned to take several top 30 visits and is regarded as a rising draft prospect after declaring early for the draft following his junior year for the Terrapins. Ngakoue projects as a 3-4 outside linebacker.

Ngakoue set a Maryland record and finished second in the country with 13 1/2 sacks and had 15 tackles for losses.

Ngakoue had 45 quarterback pressures for his career, relentlessly pressuring the pocket and escaping blocks.

He had at least one sack in 10 consecutive games as a junior.

Ngakoue played well in games against Iowa offensive tackle Brandon Scherff, Michigan State left tackle Jack Conklin and Ohio State left tackle Taylor Decker.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
How stupid does somebody have to be to see our experience with Gregory this year, and still want us to invest a premium pick on Noah Spence this year?

Yet there are quite a number of CZ idiots advocating for exactly that.

There is absolutely ZERO chance I'd take Spence on this team with our first 4 picks. After that I might consider it worth the risk-reward, but we cant afford to throw away more premium picks on guys that have drug & alcohol issues or simply don't have the dedication to the game & team.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
This guy looks like a pretty good football player too, doesn't seem to be much buzz about him though. Didn't he blow it up at the combine?

[video=youtube;wjqwrJy16RE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjqwrJy16RE[/video]

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
They seem to be spending a lot of time on this guy. I have to say I honestly don't see what for. This guy looks like a 6th or 7th rd draft pick to me.

One of my first rules of Youtube scouting for QB's is if most of the highlights are running plays, there's something wrong. On throws, he has a funny looking release to me and most of his throws don't appear to have much zip on them. There's a few examples where he places it well for the receiver but there's also several on here where he got lucky.

I've watched many of his games. Throughout his career in college, Prescott was a high quality rushing threat (when healthy). He ran with some power, which meant that he took hits, and he got nicked up from time to time.

It was clear that his coach was determined to help Prescott develop as a passer, perhaps even when the team would have been better off if Prescott ran it more. Prescott's passing game did improve as his career progressed. He made some really good throws from time to time ... showing some real touch. Most of the time he was accurate. However, I'm not convinced that he is inaccurate seldom enough to make it in the pros.

The DUI was an ill-timed anomaly. I realize that it sounds stupid in light of the DUI, but he's not a character risk.

He has some potential. A 4th or 5th round pick seems reasonable to me.

Chip Kelly's offense might be a good fit. I don't think he's a great fit in Dallas.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I've watched many of his games. Throughout his career in college, Prescott was a high quality rushing threat (when healthy). He ran with some power, which meant that he took hits, and he got nicked up from time to time.

It was clear that his coach was determined to help Prescott develop as a passer, perhaps even when the team would have been better off if Prescott ran it more. Prescott's passing game did improve as his career progressed. He made some really good throws from time to time ... showing some real touch. Most of the time he was accurate. However, I'm not convinced that he is inaccurate seldom enough to make it in the pros.

The DUI was an ill-timed anomaly. I realize that it sounds stupid in light of the DUI, but he's not a character risk.

Chip Kelly's offense might be a good fit. I don't think he's a great fit in Dallas.

You know I respect you amigo but I don't see him as ever being a real legit NFL starter.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Dot it Jerry. Do it.

Mayock: If I were Cowboys, I'd draft Carson Wentz at No. 4

By Chase Goodbread
College Football 24/7 writer
Published: March 21, 2016 at 05:24 p.m.
Updated: March 21, 2016 at 06:24 p.m.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones might not be inclined to spend the No. 4 overall pick of the 2016 NFL Draft on a quarterback, but if one of the top prospects at the position is available, it's the move NFL Media draft expert Mike Mayock believes the club should make.

"If it's my franchise and I'm coming off (a) 4-12 (season) with a 36-year-old injury-prone quarterback (Tony Romo), yeah, I'm taking Carson Wentz at (No.) 4 if he's on the board," Mayock told KRLD-FM on Monday.

Wentz, of North Dakota State, and Cal's Jared Goff are expected to be the top two quarterbacks drafted next month. Mayock gives Wentz the edge over Goff in his ranking of the draft's top QBs. The Cleveland Browns, drafting No. 2 overall and in dire need of a quarterback, are a significant threat to take one of them off the board before Dallas can make its pick. Mayock said last month at the NFL Scouting Combine that Dallas would be an ideal landing spot for Wentz, because it would allow him time to develop behind Romo.

Although Wentz played in a pro-style offense at NDSU, two factors could slow his development at the pro level. First, his experience in college was limited to one full season and another that was injury-shortened. Second, the level of competition he faced at NDSU is a concern, as well. While Goff played in the Pac-12, Wentz comes from the FCS ranks.

Still, Mayock believes Wentz has Andrew Luck-like upside, given time to develop.

"(Wentz has) nowhere near as many snaps or quality of competition that Luck had coming out, so his downside is considerably lower," Mayock said. "But the kid is such a hard worker, tough kid, smart, etcetera, it looks to me like most teams are betting on him hitting the high side of that."

Mayock said Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott would be Dallas' best offensive option with the No. 4 pick if it doesn't pick a quarterback, whereas its best defensive options would be Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa or Florida State defensive back Jalen Ramsey.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score

I would never draft a QB who was dumb enough to screw the pooch less than two months before the draft.

Reaction score
Unfortunately Dak could be drafted for the sole purpose of having a QB that will never fit the system. Jason has a subtle sabotage that is base on sharing and convincing of his delusion. Frankly he has the talent at QB, WR and zone blocking to have a turnkey WCO but he refuses to change and continues to push a scheme that doesn't fit the players. IMO Jason does not want the pressure of a developmental QB because he will have to prove his own ability to prepare a player to win. He has failed with McGee and the gang from 2015 and when he was challenged he only brought up Kitna as evidence of his QB development. Kitna, like Romo, was already polished in the system and both, unlike Brad Johnson, McGee, Weeden, Cassel and Helen Moore, were desperate competitors that kept plays alive long after the defense decapitating the chickens head. Why Dak? Because Jason will have Jerry believe he has a slash QB but really getting Dak means having a QB that won't stain Jasons regard as a smart and or talented head coach.

That said. It has to be Wentz.

This would be my plan:
1. Wentz
2. S Karl Joseph (reach but need impact safety big time)
3. WR/PR Pharoh Cooper (copycat player of Norv, very similar to Stefan Diggs)
4. DT Chris Jones (just massive, D line is done)
4. CB Eric Murray Eric Murray and the Limitations of Football Statistics - The Daily Gopher
6. WR Kolby Listenbee speed. Mock Patriots Moss offense
6. OLB Matt Judon
6. CB Sean Davis safety or CB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Apparently this guy is on the private workout/Dallas visit list

[video=youtube;WxZoXz8FYsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxZoXz8FYsg[/video]

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a Marinelli kind of guy.

As much as I'd like to have Wentz at 4, if we took Bosa at 4 and then traded back up from our 2 into the 1st and got Paxton Lynch that would have the potential to be a major league homerun of a draft.

Joey Bosa is a throwback… and that's OK

Bosa draws comparisons to NFL freak J.J. Watt

By NATE ATKINS -- natkins@profootballweekly.com
Published: March 21, 2016 — 11:08 a.m.

Updated: March 21, 2016 — 3:33 p.m.

2016 NFL Scouting Combine: Joey Bosa

Pro Football Weekly

Editor's Note: This story first appeared in the Pro Football Weekly Draft Guide. You can purchase a copy here on our site or here on Amazon. We're also on newsstands everywhere.

There's something about the way Joey Bosa plays that is, in a word, cruel.

The way he bursts through a defender with a bevy of moves – the stutter step, the rip – none more pronounced than the old bull rush. The way he beats up the biggest players from the biggest programs in the biggest games simply by running right through them. The way he celebrates a sack or a tackle for loss with a signature shrug that says, "No big deal," even though it's the biggest deal in the world.

The way he plays means everything at this time of the year, on the bridge between college stardom and NFL success, because not all of them make it.

Impressive as Bosa's accomplishments at Ohio State were – going from freshman All-American to two straight years as the Big Ten Conference's defensive lineman of the year, with a national championship to boot – this draft class is filled with players who can boast similar ones.

But nobody else entering this year's NFL Draft does the things Bosa does and how he does them, with such reckless abandon and seeming unawareness of the magnitude. It makes you wonder why the film you're watching isn't in black and white.

"I think he's significantly ahead of the rest of the pack in that he has been the most consistent throughout his career in terms of size, strength and athleticism," CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rangler says. "The knock on him is that he's not such an extraordinary athlete that you feel like he can come into the NFL and he's necessarily going to be a 10-plus sack kind of a guy. He's every bit as effective against the run as he is the pass. Kind of an old-school defensive end that way."

He shrugs after sacks, treats stunts and drop-backs with the same quiet love and leads a locker room through what he doesn't say. Bosa is a throwback to a relic breed of butt-kicking, which makes him original and cliché at the same time.

Defining him isn't easy, beyond the obvious acknowledgement that he's really, really good. You won't find a mock draft that doesn't have him going in the top 10, but you will find differing opinions on what he will be at the next level, which seems to be creating new roles for talented players.

Everyone seems to agree that he can be a 4-3 defensive end because he's always been that, and nobody has really blocked him yet. But whether he's that and more – like a 3-4 outside linebacker or defensive end – depends on where you think his reach will finally end.

Finding where it began is easier. Start with a family tree. On one side is his father, John, who played defensive tackle at Boston College before he became a first-round pick by the Dolphins in 1987.

On the other side is his mother, Cheryl, who attended Ohio State along with her brother, Eric Kumerow, a linebacker who was a team captain also in 1987. Below them are Joey and Nick, two boys who would both play defensive end at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., before committing to Ohio State as five-star recruits.

Joey was born first by three years, so the trail blazed with him. Genetics were a nice start, ballooning him to 6 feet 5 and 270 pounds before he turned 18. But actually outgrowing his family would take a certain dedication to building strength, and those were always the bars that attracted Bosa the most. At St. Thomas Aquinas, he'd work out with the team until they shut the gym down, at which point he'd join his father at a nearby facility for a second half.

"Joey just wanted to work out and play football on Friday nights when we were in high school. That's all that Joey would do," says Rocco Casullo, Bosa's head coach at St. Thomas Aquinas.

The point where the transformation really happened, from stored energy to tangible strength, was around the end of his sophomore season, Casullo recalls. The next fall, he became a full-time starter as well as a chess piece on defense, playing all three spots along St. Thomas Aquinas' Okie front. By the end of his senior season, Bosa had 51 tackles-for-loss and 19 sacks as an upperclassman to go along with a state championship, which he won playing next to his little brother. The Bosa name was growing fast.

"That's not a kid who's saying, 'OK, I'll go redshirt my first year at Ohio State," Casullo says of Joey. "No way. Not him. He was ready to go and play immediately. Mentally, he was ready."

Physically, he was ready, too. As part of Urban Meyer's first full recruiting class at Ohio State, Bosa started as a freshman for a 12-2 team that played in the Orange Bowl. He splashed onto the college scene with 13.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks, good enough for freshman All-American status. Draft talk sprouted up two years early, with scouts both impressed by what he was and unsure of what he still could be.

That was the perfect recipe for the man Meyer brought in to coach Bosa his sophomore year. Larry Johnson had spent 19 years as Penn State's defensive line coach, where he helped groom future first-round picks in Tamba Hali, Michael Haynes, Jimmy Kennedy and No. 1 overall pick Courtney Brown.

The first meeting between Bosa and his new position coach would set the tone for everything that's happened since.

In walked Johnson, who was sure he knew what it took to be a great defensive lineman. In walked Bosa, who was sure he was already a great defensive lineman. Johnson wasted no time, turning on the film of Bosa's freshman year. Here's the good, Johnson would say, pointing to the sheer power with which Bosa played. And here's what can be better, he'd add, talking up moves and additional layers of technique. Bosa was genuinely surprised.

"He bought into it," Johnson says. "I mean, from Day One, he walked in and boom, he bought into it. ... I just wanted to find a way to enhance his skill set."

After one offseason together, Bosa was primed for new heights. As a sophomore, he shattered those freshman numbers, compiling 21.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks in 15 games while leading – silently, of course – Ohio State to the first-ever College Football Playoff national championship.

And yet when the time came to reflect again with Johnson, Bosa looked back at the season and gave a proverbial shrug. There's always somewhere higher to climb for Bosa, and together, they started to wonder if he could do more – like dropping into coverage, standing up and shifting positions. It would look like less, statistically, but the effect on the defense could be huge.

His sack total dropped from 13.5 to 5, tackles-for-loss from 21.5 to 16.5. The year contained some personal frustration as well, as his worst performance came in the loss to Michigan State that kept the Buckeyes from repeating as conference or national champs. The year started and ended without him, from a season-opening suspension for either marijuana or academics, according to ESPN, and being ejected from the first half of the Fiesta Bowl for targeting.

Ultimately, the defense did improve, rising to No. 2 in the nation in scoring defense. Johnson saw a player who, in addition to recording his first career interception, drew sacks for less heralded players like Sam Hubbard and Tyquan Lewis.

Greg Gabriel, Pro Football Weekly's scout, sees the same.

"When you watch his play, the intensity he plays with, his athleticism, his size, he's got J.J. Watt-type potential," Gabriel says.

The comparisons to the bold meathead that is Watt have become common with Bosa, which speaks to his potential but also how difficult it is to compare him to anyone normal.

Any prognostication of Bosa's ceiling and destination are guesses under the assumption that he is an individual fit for labels. The one safe bet is that he should be a first-round pick, and a pretty high one. He'll hear his name called this April in Chicago, and it'll legitimately be the biggest moment of the Bosa story to date, the start of what he can really become.

Just don't be surprised when he shrugs.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting:

Tony Pauline ‎‎@TonyPauline

Thus far I'm told the official visit list for Sheldon Rankins/DT/Louisville includes the Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Bucs and Buffalo Bills

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Defensive tackle Greg Milhouse looked terrific at Campbell pro day.

He measured 6013, 295 pounds, completed 26 reps on the bench, posted a vertical jump of 33.5 inches and a broad of 9-3. His 40s were clocked in the 4.8s and he posted a 3-cone time of 7.5.

I'm told afterward he interviewed with a bunch of teams including the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants, Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles.

Milhouse is described as "the real deal" by scouts and a "hard worker who'll make an NFL roster".

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
:towel:towel:towel

Clarence Hill
✔ ‎‎@clarencehilljr

The Cowboys will conduct private workouts with all the top quarterbacks even though Jerry Jones says they are not taking one at 4

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Shaq Lawson will be visiting with the Dallas Cowboys.

In the weeks leading up to the 2016 NFL Draft, the Clemson defensive end is set to meet with America's Team on April 5, according a report from NFL.com. Lawson also has private workouts scheduled with the 49ers and Panthers.

247Sports

Matt Miller
✔ ‎‎@nfldraftscout

Sources say #Clemson DE Shaq Lawson had a "fantastic" workout with @Panthers today. I continue to hear top 15 talk for him.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Haven't seen anyone say that they project Bosa as being a 10+ sack a year guy.

With that being said if the Cowboys are hell bent on repairing the defense I would take Bosa at 4 and then the best 1-tech DT on the board at 34 (could possibly be Billings). That would give the Cowboys a very stout DL rotation.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Haven't seen anyone say that they project Bosa as being a 10+ sack a year guy.

With that being said if the Cowboys are hell bent on repairing the defense I would take Bosa at 4 and then the best 1-tech DT on the board at 34 (could possibly be Billings). That would give the Cowboys a very stout DL rotation.

I think he had 7 1/2 as a Freshman and 13 1/2 as a soph, why would you think he couldn't get to double digit sacks?

He didn't do it last yr, but the coaching staff there has made comments about how much he was double (and sometimes even triple) teamed. He freed up a lot of other guys to make plays.

Watch his clips. He definitely has pass rush potential. Maybe he isn't a 15+ sack per yr guy, but there's no reason he cant be a fairly strong, if not dominant player who commands a lot of attention.

I think I read he is only 20 yrs old as well. He can still grow some (weight) and definitely get a lot stronger.

Top Bottom