Reaction score
@Birddog26: Would be growing pains early, but would Cowboys be better with Scandrick, Jones, Patmon and White and moving on from Carr and Claiborne.

@CBS11BillJones: Jason Garrett says Gus Johnson has AC joint separation in shoulder - he'll be evaluated tomorrow to see how long he'll be out

@DMN_George: So the Cowboys should get their three primary RBs back on the field for practice Saturday but lose Gus Johnson for extended period of time.

Reaction score
@toddarcher: Cowboys RB Gus Johnson has shoulder injury, TE James Hanna has MCL sprain that could force him to miss a little time

@DavidMooreDMN: Sounds like TE James Hanna will miss at least a week or two with a sprained knee. Chance for rookie Geoff Swaim to make a move.

Reaction score
@DavidMooreDMN: RBs Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar are on schedule to return to practice Saturday. Club isn't sure if WR Dez Bryant will join them.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Too bad on Hanna. I kept thinking last night that he's not bad, actually a useful player. I felt a little bad for him having to play with all those scrubs.

Reaction score
Ive always liked Hanna but thought he would've done more than he has. I can't say he's not being used properly. But I just think he'd be a hell of a mismatch.

Reaction score
Hanna had a great block on the Williams 3rd down catch and run.

Why does a guy named Whitehead have such a blackhead? Seriously tho, he looks like Harris. He looks the part. That’s your new punt returner.

Players i liked last night:
1. Collins (kid is a beast, anyone see the block where he drove the dude 10 yards backwards?)
2. Street (looked good, did run a route too short on a 3rd down)
3. Corey White DB (never heard of him before, but i liked how he played)

Players i didnt like:
1. Gus Johnson (i dont like his style, runs up the o-linemans legs)
2. Weems (he looks like shit at times)
3. Farmer (did he even play?)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dwayne Harris when asked about the different between Cowboy and Giant camps:

“I think there is more intensity there. This is more professional. Everyone is trying to keep each other safe.”

Garrett about being a physical team:

“The physical teams win,” Garrett said. “The best teams I have been on were physical. That doesn’t mean they weren’t skillful. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t throw the ball, defend the pass, but they’re physical. I think if you look at all sports, watch the NBA. The best players are physical. They’re sturdy. They’re strong. That goes really in any sport.

“That’s part of our game. We want to have physical football players on our team. We want to play a physical style football. We want to be a highly-skilled football team. But the base of what we want to accomplish is to be a physical team that dominates the line of scrimmage.”

Punishing the opposition is the goal, according to Garrett. It’s why he tries to imbue qualities of grit and resoluteness in his players during training camp.

“Teams that have won and been successful in our division are big, strong physical teams,” Garrett said. “You can say that and talk about it until your blue in the face. But unless you do something in practice to instill that in your team you’re not going to be that team, so that’s what we try to do.”

After Dwayne Harris’ comments, Jason Garrett doesn’t apologize for Cowboys being physical | | Dallas Morning News

oh snap

Reaction score
Hanna had a great block on the Williams 3rd down catch and run.

Why does a guy named Whitehead have such a blackhead? Seriously tho, he looks like Harris. He looks the part. That’s your new punt returner.

Players i liked last night:
1. Collins (kid is a beast, anyone see the block where he drove the dude 10 yards backwards?)
2. Street (looked good, did run a route too short on a 3rd down)
3. Corey White DB (never heard of him before, but i liked how he played)

Players i didnt like:
2. Weems (he looks like shit at times)
3. Farmer (did he even play?)

Corey White is a guy I'm mildly excited about. He had a very good rookie year, then Rob Ryan ruined him and he wasn't a match. So I'm hoping he can turn it back around. Nice young cheap player with potential.

Would love for him to push Carr or Claiborn off the roster.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
White did look good, but the caveat on that is it isn't unusual to see non-rookies (2nd or 3rd year guys) look good going against a bunch of rookies, especially ones who won't end up even making the team. They're already used to the game speed, know what to look for on routes, what they can get away with on the rules, etc.

Reaction score
I don't know that his performance was that great but i really liked watching Vaughn. After years of seeing Project McGee not take his eyes further than 3 yards downfield it was nice to see a project QB unafraid to take shots. Accuracy wasn't always there but I think he made good decisions.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Players i didnt like:
I like his potential, he just needs to learn the zone system. Decision making needs to come much faster, this isn't a style for juking. He needs to propel his vision a little more into the future on plays, and this I believe will start coming to him as he gets used to the system. I Like his power, speed and quickness.
I don't know that his performance was that great but i really liked watching Vaughn. After years of seeing Project McGee not take his eyes further than 3 yards downfield it was nice to see a project QB unafraid to take shots. Accuracy wasn't always there but I think he made good decisions.
Vaughan's biggest problem by far is his smallish hands. He tries to compensate for this with a really weird throwing grip. His intelligence, football savvy and good, snap decision making have never been in doubt.

Reaction score
I like his potential, he just needs to learn the zone system. Decision making needs to come much faster, this isn't a style for juking. He needs to propel his vision a little more into the future on plays, and this I believe will start coming to him as he gets used to the system. I Like his power, speed and quickness.
Vaughan's biggest problem by far is his smallish hands. He tries to compensate for this with a really weird throwing grip. His intelligence, football savvy and good, snap decision making have never been in doubt.

Gus is a jag. I didn’t see anything special about him. My expectations might have been a little too high. With Vaughan it’s too early to really know much about him. I thought he looked ok. Kind of odd to hear that he doesnt throw a football for a whole month before training camp. He had a lot of drops too. I liked Showers as well. Just too early to tell if either of them are worth a roster spot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cowboys return to practice Saturday: 5 things to watch

OXNARD, Calif. – The Cowboys have been practicing for more than two weeks and already have their first preseason game behind them after they lost Thursday night at San Diego.

But the Cowboys have two more weeks to go in California. And young players still have time to win jobs.

The Cowboys’ 90-man roster won’t get cut to 75 until Sept. 1. The final 53-man roster will be set Sept. 5.

Here are five things to watch in Saturday’s practice that begins at 5:45 p.m. CST in Oxnard, Calif.:

1) Keep an eye on QB Tony Romo: Romo should be sharp in practice Saturday. Romo didn’t play in Thursday’s preseason opener against the Chargers. He’s had three consecutive days off and only practiced once over the previous five days. After Romo received his first extended rest in training camp last year, he had his best practice.

2) Will WR Dez Bryant return to practice?: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said after Thursday’s game at San Diego that he wasn’t sure that Bryant would be able to return to practice Saturday. Bryant has been out a week with a strained left hamstring and didn’t play against the Chargers. As you can imagine, he’s itching to get back on the field. But the Cowboys won’t rush him back early in training camp.

3) Expect RBs Darren McFadden and Lance Dunbar to return to practice Saturday and maybe even RB Joseph Randle: McFadden is scheduled to practice for the first time in training camp Saturday. He’s missed the first few weeks with a strained hamstring. The Cowboys have taken it slow with McFadden considering his long injury history. Dunbar, who has been out with a sprained ankle, is also expected to return to practice Saturday. And the Cowboys could also have Randle return to team drills after he’s been limited with a strained oblique muscle.

4) Will La’el Collins start getting some first-team reps in practice at left guard?: Collins, the undrafted rookie out of LSU, was dominant at times in the Cowboys’ preseason opener against the Chargers. So far, Ron Leary has been taking all the first-team reps at left guard and hasn’t done anything to lose his starting job. But Collins was so dominant at times against the Chargers that you wonder if the Cowboys will start to give him some of Leary’s first-team reps to see how he looks in team drills against the Cowboys’ defensive starters.

5) How long will RB Gus Johnson be out?: Johnson suffered a sprained left shoulder in the third quarter Thursday night against the Chargers. He started and played the whole way for the Cowboys until his injury. He had some good moments (his first NFL touchdown, for instance). But how long will he be out with his injured shoulder. Johnson said Thursday after the preseason opener he expected to practice Saturday. But a running back with an injured shoulder isn’t likely to jump back on the practice field quickly. Johnson, however, knows he can’t be out long if he wants to show teams he deserves to be an NFL running back. He has to return quickly.

Top Bottom