dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I've seen quite a bit in my day....but I never thought I'd see the day when we'd be holding back and protecting a scrub like Randle (and Dunbar) in the preseason. Then again, I never thought I'd see the day when I had to root for Brandon Weeden. My fanhood is seriously being tested........

Randle is a knucklehead and it's debatable whether he will be dependable, but I think he showed last yr he has quality rushing skills. It's also been obvious to everyone who has watched practice this yr that he looks pretty explosive. He may not be Murray, but I don't think he's a scrub either. He could definitely have a pretty big yr here if he stays healthy.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Beasleys snaps get reduced because the coaches don't trust his blocking, otherwise he would already be the #2 wideout.

Claiborne has always had good camps. Problem is, he goes to shit when he gets dinged up. I would like to see him healthy.

Reaction score
@DMN_George: The Cowboys leave early in the morning by train for San Diego. They will stop on the way to visit the Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton.

Brb gonna email some marine buddies and see if any are at Pendleton and willing to shoot Garret.

Reaction score
Beasleys snaps get reduced because the coaches don't trust his blocking, otherwise he would already be the #2 wideout.

It has been scientifically proven that Beasley is no taller than Peter Dinklage. Of course he can't block.

Reaction score
I think Beasley is what he is. A slot receiver. I don't think he has the size to work outside as an effective #2 receiver.

Reaction score
My Thoughts from Cowboys practice on Tuesday:

1. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett displayed sharp focus as the media raced toward the fire that raged outside the Cowboys training camp Tuesday. Garrett was on the field getting in a workout, probably listening to Bruce Springsteen on his head phones. He didn’t bat an eye at the fire. He will probably come up with some life lessen to the team about staying focused on the task at hand no matter the crisis.

2. Garrett refused to say which players would sit out in the preseason opener against the Chargers, but you got a good idea watching practice. Quarterback Tony Romo, tackle Doug Free and tight end Jason Witten were healthy scratches from the portion focused on Chargers game prep. Running back Joseph Randle (oblique) and receiver Dez Bryant (hamstring) are obviously out.

3. It is interesting that rookie running back Gus Johnson will get the start against the Chargers. It’s even more interesting that fullback Tyler Clutts will get second-team reps at running back, putting both players ahead of former Baylor star Lache Seastrunk on the depth chart.

4. Cornerback Morris Claiborne is also expected to be held out of the Chargers game but continues to look good in practice. He had a good series with blanket coverage on Terrance Williams on back-to-back plays Tuesday.

5. Kicker Dan Bailey suffered only his third field-goal miss of training camp when he was errant from 50 yards out Tuesday. He is human.

6. Receiver A.J. Jenkins is showing the Cowboys why he was a bust of a first-round pick with the 49ers and washed out in Kansas City before coming to Dallas. He drops passes at an alarming rate for a guy who is the most experienced receiver in camp not named Dez Bryant. The Cowboys hoped he could give them a veteran option behind Bryant, Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley. They are almost ready to give up on him.

7. Running back Darren McFadden is doing all he can to get healthy and get back on the field. The Cowboys expect him to practice on Saturday. He spent time after practice on Tuesday working with former Cowboys tight end Jay Novacek.

8. The Cowboys switched their practice schedule Tuesday. They did the padded practice in the morning and the walk-through in the afternoon. It has been the other way around every other day in camp. Garrett said they changed it so they can get a feel for the regular season. They have Wednesday off before Thursday’s preseason opener against the Chargers.

“The idea there is to kind of simulate a Friday in the NFL during the regular season so you come in, get your work in the morning and then they’ll have a little time off,” Garrett said.

9. The Cowboys’ defense had a couple of would-be sacks of quarterback Tony Romo in team drills by DeMarcus Lawrence and Jeremy Mincey. The pass rush units of Lawrence, Mincey, Tyrone Crawford and Greg Hardy or Mincey, Hardy, Crawford and Randy Gregory are going to be something to watch on Thursday.

10. Garrett put the Cowboys through a light practice Tuesday night getting them ready for the San Diego game. But there was nothing light about is coaching intensity as he took the Cowboys through late-game situations, using several choice curse words to drive his point home.

Read more here: JUST CHILL: 10 Thoughts from Tuesday’s Cowboys practice | The Star Telegram

Reaction score
1. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett displayed sharp focus as the media raced toward the fire that raged outside the Cowboys training camp Tuesday. Garrett was on the field getting in a workout, probably listening to Bruce Springsteen on his head phones. He didn’t bat an eye at the fire. He will probably come up with some life lessen to the team about staying focused on the task at hand no matter the crisis.

This is impressive because you know deep down he wanted to try and smack that fire on its ass, and clap.

Reaction score
Right. :cool

Also -

1. Seems likely that at some point in the season, two of the three regular running backs will be unavailable due to injury. When the healthy RB needs a break, Clutts would substitute.

2. Clutts knows the playbook and is trusted to pick up the blitz.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Anyone can run behind this line.

Right?
:lol

No kidding.

I have to believe we'd pick up someone -- anyone -- at cuts or even after the season before he'd get carries. Or Jerry can make another OJ Santiago trade for a RB.

Reaction score
I think Beasley is what he is. A slot receiver. I don't think he has the size to work outside as an effective #2 receiver.

Why not? Because of the routes? To be able to be seen? Sure at 5'8" he is not tall, but 180 makes him fairly sturdy and a better stature ratio than Marvin Harrison.

Reaction score
i'm sure he could do it he'd just be less effective. more prone to jams, the corners can sit on him a bit more because he doesnt have two way gos and they dont have to worry about him burning them or winning jump balls.

Reaction score
Gus Johnson is getting a golden opportunity. First team reps behind this o-line. Dude is going to look like Walter Payton out there on Thursday.

Top Bottom