GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
JJ Wilcox is going to make me look stupid...and mid look even dumber

Trading down in round 1 has a chance of being successful..I don't remember if we took JJ or TWill w the extra 3rd we received in the trade..I want to say it was Twill, but I don't recall. Either way, I don't think we get Wilcox without the trade down as Twill was rated higher on our board and we had a major hard on for him.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I would feel much better about this team if it wasn't filled with so many "ifs". If Sean Lee would stay healthy, if Ware would show up in big games, if Romo was better in pressure situations, if Miles Austin didn't stay injured, if the oline was better, if Jerry would die, if Matt Johnson wasn't white, if yada yada yada. I could go on forever, but I have never seen so many damn ifs on a team that prevents it from winning.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would feel much better about this team if it wasn't filled with so many "ifs". If Sean Lee would stay healthy, if Ware would show up in big games, if Romo was better in pressure situations, if Miles Austin didn't stay injured, if the oline was better, if Jerry would die, if Matt Johnson wasn't white, if yada yada yada. I could go on forever, but I have never seen so many damn ifs on a team that prevents it from winning.

It looks like another 8-8 season at best.

<---- this guy doesn't care

Reaction score
After what, three years in an NFL weight room he still cant' anchor.

If Arkin isn't ready, time to churn him. Here's hoping that Jerry lost Holland's number.

@calexmendez2h
Cowboys send out a look with Witten, Escobar as the widest receivers in the formation. That's some big boats out there.

Interesting
I guess that would turn the defense inside out. Who'd cover Dez?

Reaction score

It is frustrating, but it is probably the same for all mediocre teams.

Each and every mediocre team is only 4 or 5 if's away from a championship.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Trading down in round 1 has a chance of being successful..I don't remember if we took JJ or TWill w the extra 3rd we received in the trade..I want to say it was Twill, but I don't recall. Either way, I don't think we get Wilcox without the trade down as Twill was rated higher on our board and we had a major hard on for him.

Told you guys so.

T Will was picked with the 3rd we got in the tradedown.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If Arkin isn't ready, time to churn him. Here's hoping that Jerry lost Holland's number.

Nate Newton has been pretty impressed with Arkin so far. This was in a quote about yesterdays practice:

"David Arkin looked great today. Good hand placement. Him and Doug Free worked well, very well today, especially against the pass-rush situations. He looked good today. He looked solid."

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
It is frustrating, but it is probably the same for all mediocre teams.

Each and every mediocre team is only 4 or 5 if's away from a championship.
Dallas is in real trouble then. They have about twenty big "ifs" and tons of little ones. It seems like every talented player on the roster has a big "if" and it seems to always show up at a bad time. There are too many players on the team that has repeated injuries that hampers their play year after year. They are part time players that can't be counted on. The injury "if" looms large on this team.

Reaction score
Nate Newton has been pretty impressed with Arkin so far. This was in a quote about yesterdays practice:

It'll be great if he has turned the corner.

It isn't like he or Killer has to beat out Larry Allen for playing time.
One of these young guys should be able to break through.

Reaction score

I've hated this pick because it just doesn't make sense that he'd work out. Just seems like another project small school guy. And the best QB he faced at his lower level, Tyler Heneke (or whatever) at ODU... was Wilcox worst game.

But make no mistake.. I am a Cowboys fan. I'd LOVE to be wrong about him. Just like everyone saying we're an 8 win team at best this year would LOVE to be wrong on that. We're all Cowboys fans.

Also.... all the talk from Wilcox has been he's a hard hitter. Have I missed commentary or tweets about how good he is in coverage? Because this isn't 1990s NFL anymore. Thumpers get penalized, warranted or not. I want a safety who can cover.

Reaction score
@dmn_george25m
Jason Garrett said WR Cole Beasley is QB-friendly. Gets open against tough coverage. Quick. Strong.

I like Beasley. Hope he sticks.

And not a Cowboy... but a rival so here goes:

@JordanRaanan I'm hearing #eagles WR Jeremy Maclin believes it is an ACL tear. Tough break for Eagles and WR on last year of deal.

Reaction score
I really like the potential of this years receiving core. That Williams kid looks pretty damn good and some of the other pups are showing something. As negative as i have been, this offense might be improved.

On defense, i am warming up to the Tampa 2. I think Mo, Carr and Scan are going to have a very productive season. They all look really good in camp so far. Lee and Carter are perfect fits for this style of defense.

Still very early, but some of the info and videos i have seen have been encouraging so far.

Reaction score
I've hated this pick because it just doesn't make sense that he'd work out. Just seems like another project small school guy. And the best QB he faced at his lower level, Tyler Heneke (or whatever) at ODU... was Wilcox worst game.

But make no mistake.. I am a Cowboys fan. I'd LOVE to be wrong about him. Just like everyone saying we're an 8 win team at best this year would LOVE to be wrong on that. We're all Cowboys fans.

Also.... all the talk from Wilcox has been he's a hard hitter. Have I missed commentary or tweets about how good he is in coverage? Because this isn't 1990s NFL anymore. Thumpers get penalized, warranted or not. I want a safety who can cover.

Shared perspective. Seeing the sleeper gamble crumble from hope to pathetic has been the safety history with these longshots like Courtney Browns, AOAs, Ralph Pete Hunters, Woody Dantzlers, etc. So when yet another one is added, with even less experience at the position than any of the previous gambles in recent years, it is hard not to anticipate a similar story ending to JJ Wilcox's tenure with the team.

Buti hope I am wrong as well.

I didn't like the Escobar pick or Terrance Williams pick but the WRs and TEs are now a strength position on the team along with CB, LB, and depending on the health of Murray, RBs as well. Really, if Free were to bounce back to his previous form, the O-line becomes 1 guard away from solid (assuming Fred works out).

To me the interior D-line is the most fragile. And there is far more to worry about with the offense just scoring points than there is about the safety position.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
About Free. People need to remember that our edge of the line was just as bad as the interior.

Him picking up his game would be a huge help, that way we could funnel help to the inside.

Reaction score
I didn't like the Escobar pick or Terrance Williams pick but the WRs and TEs are now a strength position on the team along with CB, LB, and depending on the health of Murray, RBs as well.

Which is a testament to this teams moronic philosophy of building the team from the outside in.

I mean, we have drafted an OL in the first round twice in the past three years, so that is encouraging. But we continue to essentially ignore the DL which is troubling.

Top Bottom