Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You mean like Troy Aikman, then?

Go back almost 30 years if you like but comparing Aikman to Dak is really absurd. About the only quality the two of them might have in common is leadership ability. Other than that, Aikman had more talent and QB skill in his left pinky.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't think I've said Dak is the issue here. There person a team can't afford to lose should be the (franchise) QB. If we lose Zeke and tank, then that says a lot. I still think Dak can step up without Zeke and keep us competitive and in the hunt. If not, then at least we know we may need to find a QB. I know you won't like that, but it's the reality.

On paper we theoretically should be fine with McFadden, Smith, and Morris. But that has never been the case, when Zeke is out of the game our running game has suffered

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
On paper we theoretically should be fine with McFadden, Smith, and Morris. But that has never been the case, when Zeke is out of the game our running game has suffered

I would expect the running game to suffer without Zeke. No combination of RB's can give you the same results. What I am hoping is that Dak can pick up the slack and keep us in contention. If this team folds without it's RB, we've got issues.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We most definitely have issues. That goes without saying.

I don’t see our stable of RB’s being able to provide what Zeke can. Sure they may get us yards but the DC won’t have to game plan for our stable like they do for Zeke.

As for Dak picking up the slack or even putting the team on his shoulders while Zeke is out, I just don’t see that happening right now. Some day maybe, but he’s not there yet.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Go back almost 30 years if you like but comparing Aikman to Dak is really absurd. About the only quality the two of them might have in common is leadership ability. Other than that, Aikman had more talent and QB skill in his left pinky.

What happened when Emmitt sat out those two games at the beginning of the season because he wanted "Thurman Thomas money"? Was Aikman able to carry the team despite having all this talent in his pinky? Evidently not. You contradicting yourself.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Jerry has to be loving this crap, no matter what his sound bytes are.
The Cowboys, Zeke and JJ himself are the lead piece in just about every NFL or sports show on the air.
Never mind even the hard core homers are becoming increasingly dissatisfied with Ginger Jesus or mind boggling personell decisions or even the league's slumping ratings and image.
The Cowboys still sell gear, draw eyes, and are talked about.
Who needs playoff wins or Lombardis when the brand is still solid?

disgustingly true

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
My homer buddy is at it again...gawd help him if he ever goes to Vegas, he always has these "feelings" about what will or won't happen

Here's the texts he's currently barraging me with:

I get a funny feeling Zeke will be on the field Sunday.... how crazy is that?

So the judge who made that ruling is married to the lawyer whop represented the NFl in the last CBA negotiations.... thats why I think the NFLPA will get a stay SOMEWHERE before Sunday. Zeke may not practice but he stands a good chance of being in the lineup Sunday....

The judge in NYC gave the NFLPA 24 hours to file appeals which they did immediately after that ruling....law....such a slippery slope....

He wears me out

I had to shut off my phone last night as he was going on and on and on about how jeri is making shit happen in the Zeke case to which my head about explodes since if jeri had the power he thinks he does, he could have overruled Goodell from the beginning but obviously didn't. Once it got to the courts, whatever so called power jeri has is completely gone unless he's bribing judges which if he is, he's not doing a very good job

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What happened when Emmitt sat out those two games at the beginning of the season because he wanted "Thurman Thomas money"? Was Aikman able to carry the team despite having all this talent in his pinky? Evidently not. You contradicting yourself.

The game was different back then and you know it. And to even think that Dak is anywhere in Aikman's league in terms of football/QB talent is downright laughable. Sure, Aikman was a field general and asked to play in a system. Dak is asked to do the same thing but he's also playing in an era that's slanted heavily in favor of the offense. Holmgren called Aikman's performance against GB one of the greatest performances he'd ever seen; he's a SB MVP and played lights out when the big lights were on. Right now, folks are debating why Dak can't connect with his #1 WR. In any event, if we have a team that is so reliant on a RB that the season is lost if that RB isn't playing, then we've got the wrong QB. Where I come from, he's the most important guy on the field.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The game was different back then and you know it. And to even think that Dak is anywhere in Aikman's league in terms of football/QB talent is downright laughable. Sure, Aikman was a field general and asked to play in a system. Dak is asked to do the same thing but he's also playing in an era that's slanted heavily in favor of the offense. Holmgren called Aikman's performance against GB one of the greatest performances he'd ever seen; he's a SB MVP and played lights out when the big lights were on. Right now, folks are debating why Dak can't connect with his #1 WR. In any event, if we have a team that is so reliant on a RB that the season is lost if that RB isn't playing, then we've got the wrong QB. Where I come from, he's the most important guy on the field.

Different how exactly? That'as bullshit. In fact, this team is basically built like that team. If Emmitt had of held pout the entire season, Aikman would not have been able to carry the team. Emmitt was the straw that stirred the drink.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
it can't be changed (not asking you too, just curious)?
Yeah I could change it, could even disable it completely. Pretty sure it must be a nod to those who browse the site at work, trying to make it at least a little bit work safe.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Different how exactly? That'as bullshit. In fact, this team is basically built like that team. If Emmitt had of held pout the entire season, Aikman would not have been able to carry the team. Emmitt was the straw that stirred the drink.

The QB's were fair game and Aikman had his share of concussions and busted chins. The WR's feared coming across the middle depending on who was playing safety. The WR's could get mugged off the line. Linemen could/would head slap the shit out of the guy across from them. I think chop blocks were legal back then and some teams were notorious chop blockers. And that's off the top of my head.

The fact that a rookie QB can come in and win almost immediately or light the league up like Watson was almost unheard of back then. The rules have been changed and manipulated to benefit the offense. There's no denying that.

And if Emmitt was gone for the season the system would have changed. And if you think this team was built like the 90's team, you're showing your age. Other than the OL (which wasn't built by numerous first round picks, BTW), this team is completely different. The D was built on speed and safeties that could hit. Hitchens and the Gimp would never play on that team. Taco may have never been picked. Heath wouldn't have made the practice squad. A slot WR like Beasley wasn't a pivotal part of the offense. They featured a bruising FB which we currently don't. I mean, a FB isn't even a real integral part of this offense. Hell, I don't even think we featured the shotgun much in the 90's.

Reaction score
Most of the players on our current defense would not make the cut for Jimmy in 92 and 93. Lee and Lawrence, but not much else.

The special teams we had back then was several tiers above what we have now besides kicker and long snapper.

Offenses are somewhat similar except that Dak has a long way to go before being on Aikman's level. The 92 and 93 WR core was light years better. Witten is better than Novacek was, though Novacek was certainly no slouch. The lines are comparable for sure, but we had more depth back in the day because it was pre free agency. Zeke could potentially be a 12000+ yard career back. Emmitt is the greatest ever, but Zeke is close enough.

Conclusion: the 92 or 93 Cowboys destroy the current team 45-17. The defense would have little trouble shutting down the passing game, and Zeke would be the greatest worry. The Aikman-Emmitt-Irvin offense would annihilate this current defense.

NoMoRedJ

UDFA
Reaction score
Most of the players on our current defense would not make the cut for Jimmy in 92 and 93. Lee and Lawrence, but not much else.

The special teams we had back then was several tiers above what we have now besides kicker and long snapper.

Offenses are somewhat similar except that Dak has a long way to go before being on Aikman's level. The 92 and 93 WR core was light years better. Witten is better than Novacek was, though Novacek was certainly no slouch. The lines are comparable for sure, but we had more depth back in the day because it was pre free agency. Zeke could potentially be a 12000+ yard career back. Emmitt is the greatest ever, but Zeke is close enough.

Conclusion: the 92 or 93 Cowboys destroy the current team 45-17. The defense would have little trouble shutting down the passing game, and Zeke would be the greatest worry. The Aikman-Emmitt-Irvin offense would annihilate this current defense.

Maybe Irving makes it on that Defense as one of the rotation guys. Otherwise only Sean Lee and DLaw.

And the score would have to be more like 52-17 like when Buffalo was destroyed in Super Bowl XXVII.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Maybe Irving makes it on that Defense as one of the rotation guys. Otherwise only Sean Lee and DLaw.

And the score would have to be more like 52-17 like when Buffalo was destroyed in Super Bowl XXVII.

Who would Sean Lee replace? Dixon Edwards maybe? I don’t think he would beat out Ken Norton or Darrin Smith.

Lawrence would also fall in behind Tolbert and possibly even Jeffcoat.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

That entire lockerroom was messed up over the Emmitt holdout. They were also an incredibly young team that had a little big of a Super Bowl hangover.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Nah gotta disagree there. If Emmitt missed the whole season the team would have still been too good to not make the playoffs.

They played awful in the opener at Washington but should have beaten Buffalo in week two (and nearly did). That team was so good they still would have won 10 or 11 games.

And enough of the Aikman cant carry a team garbage. If they would have wanted to be a pass first team, dude would have shattered all kinds of records. And his postseason numbers from 92-95 were off the charts good, he performed at a high level in the regular seasons too, but he raised his level of play tremendously when those postseasons kicked in.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Who would Sean Lee replace? Dixon Edwards maybe? I don’t think he would beat out Ken Norton or Darrin Smith.

Lawrence is a better pass rusher than Tolbert was. Tolbert was very consistent all around and he did something Lawrence hasn't so far (stayed healthy every yr) but I think Lawrence is showing this year that he can be a fairly dominant player.

Jeffcoat was also mr Consistency and provided us a huge boost when we went to the nickel defense.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Darrin Smith wasn't on the 1992 team, he was a rookie in 93.

Vinson Smith and Ken Norton started at OLB in 92, and rookie Robert Jones was MLB. The next season Jones was benched and replaced at MLB by Norton, with Dixon Edwards and Darrin Smith at OLB.

Sean Lee is eons better a player than Darrin Smith was.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Pete Brush @PeteBrush

I am hearing the 2nd Circ. may rule on Zeke stay motion this week but won't have oral arguments. Will decide on the papers

Top Bottom