Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will admit that it was a bad call, but that's about it. Those who are crying about it and claiming a conspiracy etc, can GTFO.

Absolutely. The call could have gone either way and when I first saw it live, I was pissed at the flag because I didn't think it was contact or at least flagrant enough to warrant a flag. The fact that the pass was so bad added to the effect but there was clearly a facemask on Hitchens who then face guarded his man. I think it's really the best he could have done in coverage without turning his head for the ball and possibly losing his receiver for a big gain.

That's a bad pic. Because if anything it would bolster the argument for incidental contact or offensive PI at worse, because anyone can see that Hitchens is not even touching Pettigrew.

I thought the same thing when I saw the pic. But they really can't show a whole lot more without showing the facemask. Hitchens made a nice play....the best that he could under the circumstances.

The bad part about this is that we won't get any borderline calls against GB.

Reaction score
I really would like to find a gif

Romoing.0.gif

of that Romo celebration on the ground after he threw the TD to Williams.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
thought it was supposed to be an automatic call going low into QB's legs like that...no flag there

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I thought he got him in the thigh then slid down. Flags are only below the knees.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bluenoser, I'm in full homer mode and dbair is my Best Board Buddy now so please lay off. I agree with dbair that Romo has not gotten those calls; we've seen it all year with low tackles, hits to the helmet and late hits. It's a conspiracy.......

Reaction score
woulda coulda shoulda. don't act like it wasn't a huge gift.

The gift was the picking up of the flag. The act hitchens made was no more egregious a no call than the holds on Crawford or the holds on suh or some interference on dez early in the game.

What about that are you guys missing? Like the whole game depended on this one 50/50 call which if it were redone would prob be offsetting holdings/facemask. And if you redo staffords scramble we get a hold on Crawford and the lions punt at their 5 and the score starts 7-7 not 14-0.

This is being encapsulated as a stand alone play bc the chain of command derped The call. You can be fair and say that the line judge saying I had a better angle at it and the contact in the throw was minimal right? Bc that's all he took back. His view of the PI. Holding was prob there (but that does happen In games, so...)

Don't let ppl take this away from us. Go cowboys. We need a like system for my killer post

Reaction score
You can find a hold on basically every play. Both teams got away with non calls on holding.

For example on the Suh sack where he grabbed him with one arm and brought him down, Martin held Suh on that play and it was obvious. The announcers even mentioned Martin got away with it. But it didn't matter because Romo held the ball so long that Suh was able to get back and make the sack anyways.

And I would even agree that you can argue PI on many pass plays.

What makes the Hitchens play so significant was he was face guarding, a flag was thrown, and it was mysteriously picked up. That rarely happens. Former head of officiating said it was a penalty.

It would've given the Lions, up by three, a first down at the 41 with just over 8 minutes left. Would it have guaranteed a Lions victory? Fuck no. But it would've seriously hindered our comeback chance if they were able to take a few more minutes off the clock and get at least a field goal.

As it was, we took after the shank and took nearly 6 minutes to go 55-60 yards.

If the flag was never thrown, then it wouldn't be a big deal IMO. But because it was thrown, and because it seemed so obvious it was deserving of a flag, the fact that it was picked up was an incredible break in our favor.

Reaction score
If Caldwell had balls, he would have gone for it on 4th and 1 and they would have gotten it. Then it would have been 1st and 10 at the 41, just like it would have been if the holding call had been made. He wanted the 1st down given to him rather than earn it. Sack up Caldwell.

Reaction score
Caldwell is a terrible coach and Stafford's record on the road vs winning teams is not just some coincidental fluke. The media loves controversy and that officiating crew was certainly mediocre at best, but this was still a game that Dallas fought to win.

Lets move on and enjoy the remaining season. If Rodgers has a good day on Sunday, we'll likely be talking draft this time next week.

Reaction score
Going for it on fourth there, at midfield, when you're Already up by three is a dumb decision. I'd prefer to trust your punter to pin them deep and have them drive against your stout defense.

And UVA... Garrett is a horrible coach also.

Reaction score
I stopped reading at face guarding

ITS NOT A FUCKING PENALTY. did hitchens interfere with pettigrew? Nope. Did he hold ? Kinda. So we're letting ppl destroy this win for us over a fucking hold on 3rd and 1 with 9 minutes left and the play should've been redone. We still don't win That game? Were you watching the 2nd half and the qb's?

Reaction score
I stopped reading at face guarding

ITS NOT A FUCKING PENALTY. did hitchens interfere with pettigrew? Nope. Did he hold ? Kinda. So we're letting ppl destroy this win for us over a fucking hold on 3rd and 1 with 9 minutes left and the play should've been redone. We still don't win That game? Were you watching the 2nd half and the qb's?

There was some contact, but according to the refs (and i agree) the contact was minimal. He put his hand on his shoulder for a split second. If anything it helped Pettigrew turn around to catch the pass. I heard a former Super Bowl ref say he thought it wasnt pass interference. Ive heard a number of qualified people say the same thing. I think it was a call that could have gone either way. Thankfully we got a good call and are moving on while Detroit is home pissing and moaning in their Cheerios about the unfairness of life.

BTW, why does everyone ignore the offensive PI hands to the facemask? In this shot, the kid cant even see.

Top Bottom